UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently got two rescue cats and the boy, Albie, has recently begun to ramp up his food requests. I am worried that I may be underfeeding him, but at the same time I don't want to make him overweight. Because of this, I need some guidance from people with experience.

Albie is a neutered male, about 12-18 months old, and weighs around 6kg. Although that seems to be heavy for a cat, he is very big and genuinely doesn't look (to me anyway) to be overweight.

We had been feeding him one wet pouch (Felix, Whiskers, etc.) in the morning and one in the late afternoon/early evening (which he rarely completely finished), as well as occasional treats in between meals (Felix Goodies or Whiskers Dentabits, etc.) and some dry food (Royal Canin neutered male or iams adult proactive health) in case he got hungry during the night. This is usually gone in the morning. He also drinks quite a lot during the night.

He usually wakes me up around 6am asking to be fed, but more recently he has begun to wake me earlier (5am this morning) and then asking again just a few hours later. He is very persistent with his nagging and usually purrs loudly, pads the duvet and rubs his head on me and the surroundings. Then today, at around 2pm he decided he was hungry again. I gave him a few treats and he seemed to settle down. He was fed another proper meal around 5:30pm, which he completely finished off.

He sleeps for a large percentage of the day (on my bed!) and I have several play sessions with him at various points during the afternoon/evening, when he does decide to appear. He goes outside occasionally during the day, usually not venturing much further than the garden, and always nags to go outside at around 7-8pm. He usually stays out then until around 10-11pm, and generally goes further from home. Once when he stayed out until 6am the following morning!

Our other cat, Mabel, who is a neutered female (currently missing! :(), doesn't eat very much at all (and will ONLY eat Royal Canin neutered female!) We always had to feed her separately and remove her food when she'd had enough as Albie used to help himself to her food. There were times when he managed to help himself to her entire bowl.

So, basically, I'm looking for some feeding guidance as I don't want to get him into bad habits and I don't want him to either get overweight or be constantly hungry. Does is sound like I'm under or overfeeding him? Should I alter the food I give him?

Any guidance would be much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
What are the feeding recommendations for Felix ? 2 wet pouches doesn't sound like a lot, but I woud try and stop the dry and feed an extra wet meal at supper time.

Perhaps a wet food with a higher meat content will fill him up a bit more.

His past experiences with food may mean he feels he needs to eat when he can.

How recently did you get them ? You mention Mabel is missing - I take it they are free to come and go

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I had read that past experiences can cause rescue cats to eat a little more.

The wet foods we get are 100g and they say an average cat (4kg) needs 300g a day, so 3 pouches. I guess that would mean Albie should have around 400g (4 pouches. I was a bit wary of following the packaging recommendations, though. Some, such as Whiskas, seem to think 4-6 a day! o_O

We've had them about 2 months and they are free to come and go now, but as we don't have a cat flap yet (property is rented) we either have to leave a downstairs window open or we open the door for them when required. Not really ideal, I know. :/

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
My girl is an indoor cat, so I am not a fan of them roaming around, there are too many stories on here about cats being run over.

I woud stop his high carb treats and feed 3 pouches of wet, one in morning, one for tea about 6pm and one at supper. I would also try a higher meat content food.

6kg is quite big for some breeds but not big for others, any idea what his parentage might be.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd love to keep them indoors as I'm always slightly worried when they're out of site, but unfortunately they're both cats that like to explore. Where we are is at least a fair distance from any busy roads. I've done everything I can think of to ensure Mabel's return and am hoping she'll come sauntering in soon, as is often the case, based on what I've read.

Albie was 5.9kg when we got him and when I weighed him just now, still exactly 5.9kg. So he's not gained or lost weight. I guess I'm just worrying. ^^ He looks a good shape.

Anyway, I'm going to start feeding 3 pouches a day as he has got more active since he started going out regularly. If he's asking for food he's obviously hungry. He always leaves some if he's full.

What sort of treats would you recommend as an alternative to what I use? What about those meaty sticks?

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
How long as Mabel been missing ?

The only commercial treats Cookie has is 3 Dreamies in the morning when I leave for work and 3 at bedtime to lure her out of the lounge, which she doesn't have access to during the night. Otherwise it's like giving a toddler sweeties to fill them up :)

How about a chunk of raw meat as a treat food.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She's been missing a week this morning. We're doing all we can and I'm staying positive that she'll return, despite being terribly worried about her

Albie has Dreamies, but by the sound of it, far too many. I usually give him 8 or so at a time, several times a day, or the equivalent in other treats.

The raw meat idea is something to consider. Our last cat, YukI, used to like a bit of raw mince or some steamed fish as an occasional treat.

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,543 Posts
Look up 'condition scoring' and see how your cats measure up - there are several you can find via Google, some are clearer than others, and cats with big coats always look bigger than cats with short flat-lying coats. If they are right on a condition scoring scale and are not gaining or losing weight they are eating the right amount.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All seems okay based on that. I think I was being overly cautious. His eating seems to have settled down again now. :)

Thanks for all the help!

Oh, and just so you know, little Mable came back yesterday evening. Thank goodness! :D

·
Registered
248 Posts
Good news that Mabel came back!

Just for comparison, the bigger of our two moggies, also a male neuter, weighs in at 5.7kg. If fed on chunks on jelly type food, which he is sometimes, he will easily eat a tin a day, which is 400g of food so yes about 4 pouches. He doesn't get fat on that, just maintains his weight. It's also worth pointing out that he eats a bit less in the summer and at this time of year is ravenous. He's indoor/outdoor as well and I think the cold weather triggers him to eat more. He still doesn't put on weight though, so in a young cat like that I would just give him as much as he wants and keep an eye on his weight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.