Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much space per cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Treaclesmum, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

OK so I'm looking into whether I can buy a small flat with a totally cat-proofable garden... so all 3 cats can go out and be safe, without needing a small cat-run! :D
    It's a great idea but house prices in my area are always a challenge...! :sosp:

I've seen a studio flat I like but worried it wouldn't be big enough, the garden looks great but the inside of the flat is only 18.6 ft by 9ft wide (the main studio room which would include my bed lol!) There is a separate kitchen and bathroom, just not sure if that's big enough for 3 cats to share... or whether the garden access would make up for it? :confused: (My parents house is quite big but they have so much junk that there's not as much space as you'd think!)

2. smiler84

smiler84 PetForums VIP

I don't know there's a definitive answer to that. My concern with a studio flat is that there's not really scope for them to take themselves away if they need a bit of space. And on a practical level, would there be space for litter trays etc?

I'm sure people do manage to have cats in studios but I think it'd need some careful planning to make sure everyone had their space.

3. Laurac

Laurac PetForums VIP

That does seem a small space to house 3 cats - but I suppose you could do shelving to give more high space. If your cats get on really well together then it might not be a problem but, as with humans, they may not get on as well when they encroach on each others personal space.

4. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

Exciting getting your own place!

What do your 3 do now TM? Are they spread out around the house keeping their distance or all together most of the time?

5. tbay007

tbay007 PetForums Newbie

We only have one cat, and she takes up the entire space. Not sure how your cats would fair with a small studio flat. Three might feel couped up. Might want to consider a little bit bigger?

As Laurac said, maybe cat trees and shelving would make up for that. You can always become creative when it comes to cats. They may even create things for you without your knowledge, like a small box could be a step?

6. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Thanks, some great ideas from everyone :)

I think my main concern is the fact they wouldn't be able to get away from each other if they wanted, but they are all very good friends, they all share the living room at night here at home and sleep peacefully together. They do have a few playfights i.e. sometimes Jumpy starts one when I've got the girls on their harnesses in the garden, and they are stalking "his" prey lol! :eek:
    But it's never serious. They do love vertical space especially Pixie, she loves the high hammocks on the cat tree so I'd have at least one cat tree, if not 2 :)

I would probably put one of the covered litter trays in the kitchen and the other in the main room, and one of the normal trays in the bathroom and they would all have the garden to use too :)
    No cat flap yet, and the door is glass so would probably put a flap in a window, but that would be expensive... couldn't leave windows open in the winter though :sosp:

A 1-bed flat would be better, and there was a really nice one in the same area which I enquired about but it's already been sold :(

I am just getting ideas at the moment, I am not sure how much mortgage I can borrow but I do have a deposit so will have to see what happens! :)

#6 Treaclesmum, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  7. Citrineblue

Citrineblue PetForums VIP

Having watched Jackson Galaxy adapt houses and areas for cats to accommodate their needs i would think as long as they also have vertical space inside ie shelving as suggested and vertical ceiling trees etc that this would be fine with the catproofed outside space. Maybe make a few vertical spaces outside as well, we used decking tiles to make vertical outside cat trees.

8. Mum

Mum PetForums Member

I think you can do wonders in small spaces by working vertically and the cats will love it.

I've been bouncing around ideas in my head of how I can encompass cat furniture into my home without it being too cluttered or too crazy cat lady. I have a good size house but my garden is quite small so cat furniture is quite important. I think the Japanese are particularly good at this and I can't understand why since our modern homes are increasingly tiny these days that the products available on the market for us to buy haven't changed in design at all in years!

These designs out of Japan are particularly inspiring and as cats are considered really lucky over there a lot of people design their apartment life around them:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures have been taken from this blog here: Unbelievable Cat-friendly House Design from Japan

There's also a similar piece here on lap leopards written by someone who lives in small apartment in the US who used ikea furniture and shelving to get the same effect for their bengals: cool cat furniture | Lap Leopards

I hope this helps inspire you a little :D It is probably a bit OTT for most people but I find most cat furniture really boring so I'm planning on doing a some cat shelves and towers myself using reclaimed wood. I also found some real wood scratch posts on ebay for only £10 delivered, if anyone is interested I can send them the link as they were selling fast.

9. MCWillow

MCWillow PetForums VIP

Jakes in a studio flat, although he doesn't have a garden, and TBH, I wouldnt want three cats in there - its just not big enough.

There definitely wouldnt be room for a litter tray in either the kitchen or the bathroom, although I guess an extra one could go in the 'hallway' at a push.

I dont think I would want to keep more than one cat in a flat the size of his :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice