Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much should I be paying for a kitten?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kori, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Hello,

I'm in the UK and was wondering how much you'd expect to pay for a kitten. I am thinking of buying a kitten that's available in my town through the pets4homes site. However, it costs £60. It's not a special breed or anything and I was wondering if this is too much?

Saying that, it's the cutest kitten ever and I want it anyway!

Kori

2. Missymoo

Missymoo PetForums Senior

I'd say thats slightly high!! i have mine up for £30 but i suppose if you really want a kitten then why not does it come with anything?

3. Emma_Williams

Emma_Williams PetForums Junior

Its possible that includes the cost of vaccinations.

4. Missymoo

Thats what im thinking thats why i asked if it came with anything! i was going to put mine up for £60 and have the first injections done but we decided not too xx

5. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

She will be wormed and de-flead. I don't think there'll be any vaccinations though.

6. staceyscats1

staceyscats1 PetForums Senior

I would say £60 in london is pretty fair i have seen moggie kittens go for at least £100 and thats without vaccinations !!
    However its upto you, as long as your happy to pay that price then go for it :)
    Or you could go to your local RSPCA and get a kitten from there, theres plenty looking for homes, also your kitten would have been vaccinated and maybe even nuetered for a small fee (not sure how much they charge for a cat/kitten) but at least your helping a needy kitten/cat and donating funds to the centre rather than filling the pocket of someone trying to make a quick buck from their adult cat.

whatever you decide to do good luck and keep us posted :)

7. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Again, depends where you are. I wouldnt pay more than £30 as alot of people are giving them away for free atm! :eek:

It does annoy me that people charge £60 - £80 for a standard moggie though with no vaccs, nothing.

staceyscats1 likes this.
  8. Maggi

Maggi PetForums Member

I never paid a penny for any of my cats.

I got all of them from people who had kittens they wanted to get rid of!

9. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

I paid £50 each for my two moggies. They hadn't been deflead or wormed or anything. Personally i think that was alot of money...dont get me wrong i certainly dont regret getting them but some people are just out for the money.

10. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I've also paid £50 in the past but I wouldnt do it again, I really feel some people are taking the pee with the ridiculous prices. Even the pedigree's are only going for around £150 - £200 and thats with all vaccs etc ...

:)

11. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Thank you for all your replies.

I have given it some thought and compared prices. The trouble is that in my county search on pets4homes, a lot of kittens are showing up for £20 but they are actually quite far away. The £60 kitten is just round the corner from where I live and it means we can pay more visits while we wait for her. (She's 2 weeks old now so we can't get her until the end of August). Also, now that I've seen her, I want her! The kids really liked her too. My youngest daughter is afraid of anything that moves and even she was brave enough to pick up the kitten.

Will know better next time but I think we'll go for it and get ourselves a kitten!

Kori x

12. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

no i had a kitten that i couldnt keep as she wouldnt litter train and would benifit much beter in a home where she got all the atention anyway i sold her for £80 average around here is about 50-60 x

13. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Go for it! ;) I bet you cant wait to bring her home :)

14. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

I got my cat from the RSPCA and she was £50 inc vaccinations and they thought she was spayed (normally they double check and open them up anyway but Tilda has brain damage and the vet didnt want to risk putting her under). It is their policy to re-home spayed/neutered pets only and its all included in the £50. Plus you will be giving a homeless kitty a loving home.

Im re-homing Tildas kittens for £60 each but thats at 12 weeks with all vaccinations xx

15. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

thats a good price! I'd definately pay £60 for vaccs incl. You arent anywhere near Essex are you? lol

16. Scratcher26

Scratcher26 PetForums Newbie

I paid £55 for 2 but they are not pedigree! It may be worth ringing all your local vets as they often get abandoned kittens and they will usually give them for free.

I was the same, I saw mine and I fell in love so didn't mind paying! :)

17. Missymoo

ave you tried pre loved?

18. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

Haha, no I'm in Middlesbrough. Shes just a moggie but shes a pretty one xx

19. Tillski

Tillski PetForums Member

We paid 60 for Tilly from the RSPCA and she had all vaccs, was neutered and mircochipped which i think is a great deal; i think their prices have gone up abit now though, to around 70.

60 does seem a little high for a standard moggie but as you say, you've fell in love with her now so that's all that matters as long as you are ok paying it - good luck and i will look forward to seeing the pics eventually! :)

20. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

it depends on your area how much do they go for? what colour is she as some charge more for silvers,blues etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice