Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much should cats be drinking!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by debbie29, Apr 15, 2011.

1. debbie29

debbie29 PetForums Junior

I haven't a clue how much Reg should be drinking on a daily basis, does anyone know?

I have to mix water in with his wet food as he is a bit fussy and will only seem to eat it if it's very wet. I'm only adding a couple of tablespoons so not much but it just made me curious!

I know in humans you can drink too much water, I wondered if it is the same for cats?!

I hardly ever see him drinking from his water bowl and if he does and I see him he looks at me like I have just intruded on him doing something really private :D

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Does he also get dry food or is he on a wet only diet?

3. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

Mine are on wet food only and, like you I also add water to their food, especially the Animonda and Grau which are very solid pate foods. Mine hardly drink at all, I change the bowl daily, but it has never gone down at all (unless one of the kids has managed to kick it over!)

I did mention this to the vet once, and she said she was quite happy about this if they had a completely wet food diet.

4. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hence my question about the dry food Jansheff. While access to fresh water is always recommended, as long as the wet food contains at least 70% moisture (apparently) most cats will receive all the moisture they need from their wet food. Having said that, adding a little more water to their wet food will help to keep the bladder flushed out particularly in male cats.

However, the situation completely changes when cats are fed a dry diet - or some even say a partial dry diet.

5. debbie29

Hiya

Thanks for the replies

He also has orijen dry food down at all times (well I have had to be a bit careful with how much I put down as he loves it and will try and stuff as much into his little face as possible!)

So he gets wet food in the morning and in the evening mixed with water and has orijen down also.

I remember reading that boys are more susceptible to bladder issues and so i do like the idea of being sure he is getting some moisture into him as well as what he gets from his wet food.

Just wanted to make sure I am not flushing him out too much!! :D

6. koekemakranka

koekemakranka PetForums VIP

That's wonderful. I wish I could my cat to take in more water.:(

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Unlikely as he is also getting dry food :)

8. debbie29

Excellent!! Mind put to rest once again, thanks all!!
    x

9. Tracey702

Tracey702 PetForums Newbie

I had the same question the other day.

The vet told me that cats are desert creatures. She said that if you see a cat drinking water regularly then that indicates a problem such as kidney problems or bladder problems.

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Or they eat dry food, in which case they need to take in water from external sources in order to prevent the problems your vet was talking about.

11. ChatterPuss

ChatterPuss PetForums VIP

I was concerned that I hardly ever see my cat drink, and my vet advised that cats don't need to drink much as they usually gett their moisture from their food if they are seen to drink a lot they are unwell !!!

12. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

All three of my cats regularly drink water. Only two of them eat dry food, which is a limited/weighed amount. All of them are young cats, none have UTI's or similar, so I'm wondering if the sweeping statement made by your vet is strictly true :confused:

13. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Or diabetes is another cause of excessive drinking.

I do notice mine drink more with Bozita than other wet foods so much so I suspected renal problema at one stage with my oldest but blood test revealed otherwise. Believe now it's probably due to the sodium levels in the food.

14. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

The above post doesn't say excessive drinking; it just says regularly drinking water, which my cats do. None of them have diabetes either, hence my confusion :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice