Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much grooming?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dharma66, Nov 14, 2012.

1. dharma66

dharma66 PetForums Senior

Do Birmans require?

They look rather fluffy, but I hear the coats don't mat like Persians?

And how active and agile are they?

They are my second favourite breed for looks, and I need to really start going to work on Pat. I can't live without cats much longer, but I couldn't get BSH again.

But we need to pray we don't get another Houdini, so Bengals are out of the question!

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

My Birman is fluffy - needs brushing well a couple of times a week - VERY agile but not very energetic - very huffy and primadonna like.

3. rcmadd

rcmadd PetForums VIP

birmans and persians coats are differant.. birmans are semi long whereas persians are long hair..

regular minimum grooming of once a week..

4. dharma66

Good to hear confirmation.

Eric, a BSH variant, required daily grooming. We were happy to do it, but it would be nice if it were only required once or twice a week.

I think I have an objective forming...

The house is just too empty since we lost our boys, and I'm really struggling without them. They can never be replaced, as they were, of course, completely unique characters. But I have a serious need to fill the cat shaped gap in my life.

Now I need to wait till Your Cat has stunning Birman on the cover, so I can leave it lying around where Pat will see it...

5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Milo and Mitzy are Birman x from the same mum.....but while Milo's coat is easy to comb through and never tangles, Mitzy has a very 'woolly' tummy and develops terrible tatts.:mad:
    Guess which one loves being groomed and which one hates it?:p

personality wise they are not the most cuddly of cats and Mitzy is a real grumbly fusspot/diva

I do hope you are now able take on 2 new companions. Eric and Ernie were obviously so dear to you that I know how hard it will be, but the new arrivals will help heal the hurt. I think the BSH variants are stunning cats.....

6. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Different lines have different textures, so it depends which breeder you approach.

I have two Birmans from different dads. One is very very Persian like in his coat (extremely thick & fluffy, almost woolly in texture). He knots in winter behind his ears if he isn't looked after properly (full groom two or three times a week in winter as his coat grows & once/twice a week in summer when moulting). The other is very silky & smooth but still longer in coat that many Birmans I have seen - she never ever knots, drops a lot less than my boy in summer (but her coat goes from long to almost short in summer) and is very easy to maintain.

They are not active at all.... My girl is a lively little soul but spends most of the day sleeping & my boy is either lying on a bed asleep or lying on the floor at your feet waiting for you bend over for a cuddle or curled up under my arm for a cuddle whilst I watch TV.

I adore Birmans. I wouldn't say they are primadonnas, though that could be lines. My Birmans, and the kittens we had, were all extremely people orientated & ADORED to be with a person either sleeping or looking for petting - purring a lot. Definitely lap cats. I'd say that they aren't too intelligent next to other cats so can have less of a sense of humour sometimes which can appear a bit primadonnaish I guess but at other times they just don't care as long as their belly is being tickled!! I just would say they aren't as "laid back" as some other SLH breeds.

7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I think Minnii is definitely from full blown prima donna lines!!! She certainly makes her will known. Isn't a lap cat, isn't laid back but is loving.

8. messyhearts

I think it must be. I know of a line that has kittens that are all so people orientated & happy all the time it is sometimes verging on annoying as they won't leave you alone :laugh:

9. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

I had one a few years ago. His armpits used to get quite knotty but never any of the rest of him. He was not active in an running/climbing sense but was nosey and wanted to part of everything that was going on. He loved absolutely everyone and was completely bombproof, but didn't really get on with my other cat at the time. But neither were aggressive so they just ignored each other. H

10. dharma66

Ok, so it looks like I have some researching to do!

I spent ages - over a year - looking into BSH and breeders and lines. Then I spotted Alan's (Airliebird BSH) website just up the road, with his pictures of Jazz and Mona. We popped round to chat with him, and that was that. We landed right on our feet. I can't speak highly enough of Alan, and all the help he gave us.

In the end, he tried so hard to have us not pick Eric, because he was a variant, and Alan was not really keen us taking him after we'd shown interest in showing. But we met both boys just 5 days after they were born, and saw them many times over the next 3 months, and we'd chosen Eric immediately.

Alan became a real friend, as well as being a great mentor for us with the BSH breed. He set a high standard for some poor Birman breeder to follow :D

11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Glad I'm not breeding Birman's anymore - you sound very high maintenance!!!:D

12. dharma66

I'm afraid maybe I am. For me it's more than buying a cat. It's about getting to know the breed and the lines.

But the primary thing this time will be either having a complete overhaul of the cat proofing of he garden (again), or deciding to keep any future kitties indoor only.

13. messyhearts

You sound like the ideal Birman home to me!!!!

14. spid

spid PetForums VIP

You are doing it right (I was joking in the previous post) you are best off doing all that research etc. I don't think my Minnii's lines would have been the right ones though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice