Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much fresh food?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by daisyboo, Aug 6, 2009.

1. daisyboo

daisyboo PetForums Member

hey just a quick question how much fresh food (veg) should i be giving Boo a day? At the moment i give him the following each night....

small handful of spinach
    small handful of cabbage
    parsley
    4 slices of cucumber
    small pieces of carrot
    sometimes a few cherry toms/bit of celery/apple etc

is that enough or not?

he also has hay all the time and a small handful of pellets morning and night.

thanks

2. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

I wouldn't give cucumber its very watery and may give them runny poops. Most of the diet should be hay with the pellets as a suppliment, veg can be given in small amounts but I don't personally give mine veg every day but a couple of times a week as they are loose on the grass all day eating plants.

3. daisyboo

he doesnt get runny poos, plus he's a house rabbit so he's not eating leaves or grass at all.

4. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

My bun was a house rabbit and her diet was ummm I would say bout 85% hay and 15% excel pellets. I did not give her veg everyday it was more of a treat for her. I would slowly introduce different kinds of veg too, little bit at a time.
    Definatley go for herbs..they love em!!

Misty faves were:
    Dark cabbage
    Brocolli
    Coriander
    Carrot

Proper Rabbit Maintenance Diet
    Have a look at this site :)

#4 mindymoo, Aug 6, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  5. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Dark greens are thebest veg to feed. Otherwise go pick some grass from your garden or nearby field washing it first. Grass and hay are the best sources of fibre.

6. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Twice daily everything Stan gets is:

Pellets
    Slice of brown bread
    A carrot sliced up
    Lots of fresh greens
    Parsley
    Sometimes spring greens

Most days he also has a weetabix and when i remember a rich tea biscuit!

Plus anything else that i find in the reduced section if i call in at Tesco on the way home! lol

7. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

mine get a small handfull of mix in their bowls, then some bits of cereals (oat mix, corn/bran flakes, cherios, rice crispies etc) then the rest is filled (and slightly over flowing) with veggies and herbs they also get a few odd bits of veg through out the day :D. I know many people say diets should be 80-90% hay but its so unappatising and dry. mine have about 50-60% i think. they prefer veggies and they have more goodness in them. If your rabbit has lots of grass and leaves etc everyday they shouldnt need so much hay anyways.

I thik your probably giving him about the same as i do. i wouldnt give as much cucumber though as it can cause upset tummies, mine only have it once every now and then. you could try corriander, basil and thyme etc aswell, my girls love them!!!

8. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

My bun loved her hay :D She did like an odd weetabix now and again and was a bugger for pinching biscuits :p surprise surprise rich tea!

I think its just sensible to give everything in moderation :D

9. daisyboo

i dont have a garden, i live in an apartment in the city centre so not many fields around!!

10. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

At the moment my buns have 80% hay 5% pellets and 15% grass they dont need any veg at the moment! But i do give them the odd bit as a treat oh and a treat now and then from the natural range at PAH.

11. Lumpy

Lumpy PetForums Senior

I used to give my buns a slice of brown or wholemeal bread but the rescue where I've fostered Justin from advised me not to so I've stopped it. They all really used to love the bread and I know my vet told me a long time ago it was OK in moderation.

Is it OK as an occasional treat or a definite no-no? I know some vets aren't really bunny savvy so I stopped it to be on the safe side.

12. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Mine get a 2 slices of toast between them as a treat on a rainy day max once a month though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice