UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have just started feeding Henry (5 year old Cavalier King Charles who weighs 7kg) Fish4dogs salmon finest and am feeding him 2 lots of 80g a day, is this too much? he is smaller than the average size and wanted to make sure I wasnt overfeeding!

Thanks

Lee

G

·
What are the feeding instructions on the packet?

You can also go by look/feel - if your dog looks slim and you can feel his ribs, then you're probably feeding the right amount. If he's a little tubby and you can't feel his ribs, you're feeding too much, and if he's a little skinny and his ribs are very pronounced, you need to up his food a bit :)

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
There isn't one answer, as it depends on how active he is - and how much weight he's carrying (or not carrying). Can you feel his ribs with the flat of your hand? without seeing them? Does he have a waist, and does he go 'up' on the underside after the ribs? If so I usually recommend taking 10% off what the food says for about a week and then check again if he's gaining or losing weight. Unless it's Burns, then feed what the package says, but still check again in a week.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replies. On the packet it says 5kg - 10kg = 125 - 215g so as he wighs just under 7kg I worked out 160g. Yes he has been neutered and this is a new food we are giving so nothing really to compare to.
He is not very active and to my eye looks a little overweight. Maybe worth reducing the food a little.

Lee

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
When any of my dogs in the past have been neutered I usually feed two thirds of what it says on the bag hope this helps and if the dog is a bit lazy a bit like my rough who doesn't really do running " fast " this works for him.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Thanks for replies. On the packet it says 5kg - 10kg = 125 - 215g so as he wighs just under 7kg I worked out 160g. Yes he has been neutered and this is a new food we are giving so nothing really to compare to.
He is not very active and to my eye looks a little overweight. Maybe worth reducing the food a little.

Lee
As it is a new food it will be trial and error but a good guide is if he has a defined waist and a tuck and you can feel the last two ribs with a little cover, maybe post a photo of him from above and in profile?

I also prefer dogs lean to heavy, I think it is better for them in the long run, and much easier to top them up if needed than diet a dog used to eating more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.