Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much exercise?

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by ILOVEDAISYDOO, Jun 11, 2010.

1. ILOVEDAISYDOO

ILOVEDAISYDOO PetForums Newbie

Daisy Doo is four months old and think we're exercising her too much?

She normally has a walk in the morn for between an half an hour and an hour. Daisy has access to the garden all day. Then in the evening she normally has a walk for about half an hour again.

Long walks about 3 times a week when we're out for a couple of hours stopping for a picnic / rest while we're out - as I have a 3 year old son.

I would like to go for long walks with her more often but think she is a little young?

But last night she didn't want to go for a wallk. Do you think it's just because she's tired?

Sara.

2. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Sounds like to much for a puppy what breed is she?

3. lemmsy

lemmsy PetForums VIP

What breed is she?

The general rule of thumb for pups is 5 minutes per month of age (some say once, others say twice daily is fine).
    So that means she should have a 20 minute walk (two possibly- I would ask your vet to guide you on this as it very much depends on the breed of dog and it's predisposition to joint probs).

The reason for this is that overexercising them whilst young and whilst they are still growing can cause joint problems and issues such as hip displacia later in life.

ATM I'd say an hour is far too long for this pup. I would keep it between 20 mins (30 mins max provided it's just the one walk).

However fear not- she can play around in your garden at home as much as she wants (within reason) and you can keep her clever little brain busy with training her. Clicker training is fab. The following article may help if you are not familiar with it:
    https://sites.google.com/site/lucysdogblog/understanding-the-basics--clicker-training

Hope this helps :)

(ps. any chance of any pics of said pup in question? :p)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice