Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much exercise should my puppy by having?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lucyandsandy, Apr 11, 2011.

1. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

She still only tiny at 15 weeks old so she has 30-45 min walk during the day and then a 20 min walk before bed. The walk in the day wears her out and she sleeps for ages after that!

Do you think this enough/not enough exercise for her, she gets played with during the day too. I know I will judge it by her week by week but when is it usual for puppies to be able to go for longer more challenging walks?

My family and I took her through Abbots wood yesterday which was lovely and a hour long walk, she walked this ok but dragged behind for a while (think this was more because of all the smells than being tired).

2. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

The general rule of thumb seems to be 5 mins per month of age upto around a year old, twice a day.

Lead walking is harder on them than free running, but it does sound poss a little much on the first walk.

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

At that age mine were getting two 15/20 minute lead walks a day and time off lead. The time off lead was what I call free play - the pups were in control of how much walking they did, they didn't have to try and keep up with me (I more or less stayed in the same place) so could rest, play or run as they liked.
    I found that training and indoor/garden play wore their minds out more than walking which meant they settled easier in thie beds.

I used the 5 minute rule for every month they were old twice a day for lead walking until they were 8 months old (mine are small dogs like yours larger dogs often have the time split over 2 walks and use the rule a lot longer)
    Although every dog is different so their excercise needs will vary - but it's a good guideline to start with.
    so:
    12 weeks = 15 minute walk
    16 weeks = 20 minute walk
    20 weeks = 25 minute walk
    etc.

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

What breed is she?

I know some people go on the 5 minute rule for every month, i never actually did this with any of my springers, but did make sure the majority was on soft grass and an even surface so there was as little impact on their legs/joints as possible. So the theory is that yours shouls be if you went by the theory around 20 mins, this would have drove mine crazy and as they would chase around the house at 90mph bumping, slipping,sliding into obstacles i found that would do more harm than it would do good.

What i always went by and still do to a point is the quality of walks rather than quantity, so grass walks rather than hard ground, some training as this will tire a puppy mentaly and never tire a puppy to the stage where you can see they are physically tired and flagging.

I will say though it does depend on the breed.

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

My feeling is that this is probably a little much at this age. I didn't stick strictly to the 5 minute rule but used it as a guide. I would probably do a 20 minute walk and then a 10 minute walk at night.

6. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

I never stuck religiously to the 5 minute rule either

But it does sound like you're walking your puppy a bit much

Even if the pup seems to want to keep walking you have to be the responsible adult and watch for signs of your puppy getting tired - and they shouldn't conk out as soon as they're home (no matter how much we might enjoy the peace and quiet)

I'd say at this age try 20-25 minutes at a time.

Walking is for stimulation and exercise - it shouldn't make them too tired

7. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

When Tummel was 15 weeks(he's a large breed), he had 2 20-25 minute walks a day(a mix of on and offlead), then we'd do 3/4 training sessions(just going over the commands he knew and teaching new ones) throughout the day and play in the garden for another 40 mins or so.

From about 18 weeks we had to throw the 5 minute rule out the window as he has so much energy even following the training and play he would still be running round, mouthing everything etc so we gave him 3 30-40 minute walks a day as well as the other stimulation which worked well for us(we live on a farm so it's all dirt roads and fields to play in).

Then of course when Tummel was 5 months old the snow hit...i'm not going to lie we would literally spend about 2 hours outside playing(all offlead as this was when his recall was best) every day :eek::eek: that lasted from the end of November until the snow turned into ice then we went back to the 3 walks.

Now Tummels 10 months old and he gets 2 25 minute walks(morning and evening) and about 40-60 minutes around midday (all these are mostly offlead). He's actually turned into quite a lazy dog and now doesn't mind missing a walk or not getting the big walk :rolleyes:

8. s4simo

s4simo PetForums Member

We didn't use the 5 minute rule either for the same reasons. As a Weimaraner Bracken would have been bouncing off the walls (and anything else) with only 20 minutes exercise :eek: We also exercised on mainly soft ground initially and had lots of time off the lead for her to go at her own pace. The training we did back home after she had had a sleep after her morning run as before going out she was mental and after needed a little 'pick me up' snooze. So I guess one size doesn't fit all and its down to the breed and your own puppies 'signals'

9. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

Thank you for your replies, she is a Cavalier King Charles. I will cut down her walks and build it month by month, thank you for your help! Feel bad now for walking her to much :(

I had a pug/shitzu before this one and he was so different, even though he was small he was very strong and confident with loads of energy. My little girl has loads of energy but it is a bit more timid towards things.

My only other previous experience with dogs is growing up with them, but I have been thinking lately that my mum always managed to get well trained adult dogs that didn't need much work!

10. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ye agree i have found speaking to people on this subject it does depend on the individual pup as i said before it would never have worked with any of mine, i did try it but they were so boisterous and naughty through sheer lack of exercise and boredom, throwing a ball in the garden i thought was putting much more stress on the joints than a walk out tbh also all the running around the house did not relieve it either i think it just frustrated them more.
    I have to say as well non of mine have suffered any joint problems either, harvey my eldest now is 11 this year and has no problems whatsoever so i think its down to been sensible, meeting their needs but not over doing it.

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I really think the idea of limiting exercise in dogs with immature joints is aimed at the larger and giant breeds, not the small or medium breeds. So long as you are not doing miles of road work I dont see a problem though it does seem an awful long walk for quite such a young pup.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice