Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much does your dog wee??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by alphadog, Jun 24, 2009.

1. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Before I overreact and whisk my foster boy off to the vets, I thought I'd ask what you all think is too much wee for one dog...

Bruce (Lab) drinks a lot. And wees a huge amount - each wee - regularly - and still has enough left over to scent each tree. The other evening I timed him and he wee'd continuously for 1 minute and 3 seconds. I've never known anything like it!!

I know that excessive drinking can be related to anxiety and I'm working on that bit. The weather hasn't been excessively hot here (this is Lancashire!!) and he doesn't seem more thirsty at any particular time than any other.

So, how much does your dog wee? (without getting the milk bottle out and measuring :D)

2. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

has he been tested for diabetes?* I know my mams old dog started weeing loads and drinking loads and she happend to be diabetic.

3. borderer

borderer Guest

when i take greyhounds out they pee forever and ever:D

4. flubberdub

flubberdub PetForums Junior

lol!!

Can't offer advice, but you made me laugh by timing him!!

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave pees loads! He seems to pee more than he drinks, but he can never just pee in one spot, he has to have like 3 different pees when he goes out.

I remember our family dog used to pee for a minute, then have more pee to mark some trees.

I guess it would depend on the dog.. Maybe some dogs pee comes out slower than others?? lol

x

6. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

His owner has never had anything to compare it to, so she thought it was normal. He's never had any tests and diabetes did cross my mind, along with other stuff.

She is happy for me to get him checked out, but I thought I'd ask first :)

Borderer - will you time the Greyhounds for me please?!?!

7. rona

rona Guest

When I first got my boy, he used to do the same, unbelievably long time.
    I'd be more worried about the amount he's drinking, this could be diabetes or kidney problems

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Oscar drinks and pees alot. I was worried that it was his kidneys, so i had a blood test done. Turned out it was his heart that was the problem.

Some dogs do just drink and pee to what us, seems excessive. Does he pee frequently? I know you said regularily, but one pee a day at the same time could be regular?

I think you are sensible to visit the vets. So many people are unaware of their dogs toileting habits. It was because i know my boys inside and out, that i caught Oscars heart trouble at an extremely early stage.

9. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Know that he's settling in, his peeing pattern is quite normal, not too often but he's not holding back either.

I've booked him a vets appointment for next week and I'll see if they think that blood tests should be the next step. And it sounds anal, but I'm going to start measuring how much water I put down so that I can give the vet something to go on (my dog is a very light drinker, so she won't be sapping the bowl dry)

10. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

uneutered males may pee a lot more that neuters because of scenting . Many males ive dog walked have peeped more than the females. Mine has around up to 10 pees a day on average.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice