Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much does your dog cost you a week in food?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Oblada, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Oki ive posted it already on the nutrition section but nobody reacted lol so I thought I may get more attention on the chat section and with a proper (more telling) title :D

I am just wondering how much do people spend roughly a week feeding their dogs (and how many dogs, what breed)?

I just got my boy (SBT 14 months) 2 bags of Orijen (from zooplus - for £80, 27 kg of food in all, I think its quite a good deal ;) - ordered on Monday, dispatched yesterday, should arrive very soon :)).

I was gonna re-order some JWB cereal-free but did not find any good deal and when I calculated it really seemed that Orijen would, in term, be either the same cost or cheaper - it should turn to something like £5/week max (based on £44 a sack and since I got a better deal...but I am looking long term as well)...then it depends how much I actually need to feed him (i've calculated based on the lower end of the "active" lifestyle, so about 250-275 g/day for a 20 kg dog)...so I thought Id go for it now and see how my boy fares!
    He has been much better since switching on cereals-free food already so it should be good!

Then I ordered lots of bones, chews and stuff (from that website doggysnackshack or sth, which I think is brilliant!!) for about the same amount of money!
    Should make the boy happy for quite a while LOL

Do you know how much your dogs are costing you a week to feed (and what brand/food - extras included or not)?

I think Orijen (or other high quality food) is actually better value than it seems at first..but it requires a lot of calculations lol did my head in!

2. Two dogs weighing in at 32 & 35 kg's
    I x bag of Arden Grange per month current cost £25.00
    60 nature diet per month - currect cost approx £30.00

so approx £7 per week per dog!
    DT

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I've got 2 small dogs 9lb and 18lb and buy a 2kg bag Burns of food for £7 approximately every 2nd week.
    So £3.50 for the pair of them. they only eat 150 grammes per day between them.

4. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

Hi honey

Where do you get your Arden Grange from? I am paying way more than that :eek::eek:

At the mo I am paying £24.00 just for the puppy/weaning 7.5 small sack!!

Sorry to hijack

x

5. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Don't no to be honest never thought about it:eek:

6. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

I feed our 16wk old pup on Wainwrights complete dry food (which is made for Pets at Home but is competely hypoallergenic etc and she seems to be really good on) at £29.99 for a 15kg sack, which works out at about 60p per day at the moment for what we have to feed her but that is changing constantly as she grows.

Then I often mix in something like Applaws Chicken & Veg from the tins, so prob use one spread across 2 days @ about 80p a tin, so another 40p per day.

Then I buy other stuff to put in her kongs when we give them to her, like cottage cheese/goats yoghurt etc a few of times a week, plus some goats cheese cut into tiny cubes for her training treats.

So maybe another £3.50 a week, so spread across the week another 50p a day?

So I reckon for one 16 week old border collie pup, we prob spend about £1.50 a day or £10.50 a week...is that expensive then, or just a lot at the mo cos she is a pup?

7. Oblada

Oblada Guest

check out ebay - if im not wrong there is an offer on £50 for 2 bags of lamb and rice AG ;)

8. I always used to buy my AG from berriewoods! BUT the last 4 bags I have purchsed from an ebay seller! The first two cost me £45 inc delievery! the last two £50 including delivery! Making them £25 per bag! I am not the only forum member using this seller! Noush & Sallyanne have two! (hope they don't mind me name dropping) The service is first class and the dates well well in time! This is only the lamb and chicken though (I use lamb) The weaning will be more expensive! Personally I would not buy a large weaning bag depending on their age! As the three dogs I have used it on all os a sudden refused to eat it when they were around the 8 month mark!! You have to go through this sellers items as he does have varying prices! will try and find the link later!
    DT

9. kelly

kelly PetForums Member

we buy masters working dog food. £17.50 a sack (15kg).

a sack lasts us about 2-3 weeks. so about £8 per week for the 2 dogs.

10. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Do you work your dog's then?, I work with my lab and springer. Chuddley's is the same but cheaper;)

11. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

£35 15kg for a bag of Arden grange puppy has lasted zeb 8weeks :eek: so the cost of around 63p a day lol

but now with two i imagine it will only last a month so £1.16 for two dogs

But they are moving onto adult after this sack which i can get for £25 aswell (from either ebay or my local pet shop) which would be 83p ish per day

we might continue with natures diet aswell depending on if Bear likes it which would be around 90p a day for both (i only give half a tub)

so I guess around £1 a day or £2 a day with naturedeit added for two dogs but im lucky as i can get both food local pretty cheap

12. Sypher

Sypher PetForums Senior

I spend about £7/8 week on average. I tend to buy about £20 worth at a time plus a top up of £3 a week on bits.

13. xpalaboyx

xpalaboyx PetForums VIP

I dont know... my mom usually do the shopping in our home... i usually give my mom around £ 20 a month for the dog food...

14. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

We have two Bichons - a male who is 5 years old and a puppy that is nearly four months old. They are on Naturediet and maybe go through 3/4 -1 pack a day each and I get it for 79p from Pets at Home or around 66p a pack if I get it online so around £10 to £11 a week to feed them.

15. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Mine are fed AG a 15kg bag lasts around 5/6 weeks.
    We pay £28 per bag.

They do get other extras they had some Roast beef yesterday from our neighbours and often get left overs,potatoes and veggies etc....

16. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Thats £5 a week at 375g of food per day - sorry Sal, just in case you wanted me to calculate for you lol :D

what it shows really in that good quality food is not as expensive as it may seem at first, no?
    It would be interesting to have some people feeding the lower end of the market to see the difference - as it may be less than they would expect (Pedigree, Waggs..) or have we converted everyone to AG and ND and the other good brands ;)?

xx

17. Well if we havn't it's not for the lack of trying! reckon a good proportion of my posts must be AG & ND related!
    regards
    DR

18. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Humm I've never really added it up so this is interesting.

I buy working dog food for £6.50 a 20 kilo bag that lasts approx 2 weeks for 5 dogs (not going to count foster dogs in this). Plus the raw meat which I spend approx £25 a month bulk buying once every 3 months on for 5 dogs...so calculator says...£9.50 divided by 5 dogs...£1.90 a week!!!!!!!!!! :eek:hmy:
    My god my dogs are cheap!!! Mind you that's not including the box of big bone bix which is around £19 every month, all the veg and fruit they get in their diet or the other random treats I buy!!

19. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

both of them probably cost around £5 together

20. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

For his basic food, Rupert's costs about £1.20 a week, he's a golden retriever weighing about 30 kgs.

Treatwise, that's another matter! Depends altogether really, probably about £3 a week on treats ish.

Maybe about £4.20-£5.00 a week. He's quite cheap to have!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice