Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much do your dogs drink?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lil Doglets, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Lil Doglets

Lil Doglets PetForums VIP

My two never seem to drink that much really, Tammy only has a drink after their walk and then drinks a few times throughout the evening after dinner, but doesn't have any at all in the morning or from the after walk drink til after dinner, and Charlie drinks even less! usually a little bit after walk but only if i tempt her to, and then maybe a little drink in the evening but that's it!

They've always been this way though so wondered if they're just weirdos (wouldn't surprise me!:D) or does anyone else's dog not really drink much? or is this actually a normal amount :confused: lol

2. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

My Charlie is the same.

He'll have a drink when he wakes up (about 8am), but then won't really drink till after he's eaten his dinner (about 4pm). But then throughout the evening he'll go for drinks.

Overall I think he has about 1 1/2 bowls of water a day.

I used to worry about it when he was a puppy, but if thats what he wants to do then so be it. He's not dehydrated. The waters always available to him.

You can lead a dog to water but can't make him drink ;)

3. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

Mine don't drink much really,they will have a drink when they have eaten and that's usually about it at home.

When we are out they do drink a fair bit from puddles,streams,rivers etc.

Perhaps my water is too clean at home.:rolleyes:

4. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

For such a big dog Tummel barely drinks. I make sure he has at least 1 food cup(holds 300g of kibble, no idea how much water) a day. He usually has a small drink in the morning and a big drink at night, he also drinks from puddles/deer watering holes on the farm during walks so I suppose he gets a fair bit but I use wet food to ensure he's getting moisture.

I've noticed when he has a raw day he doesnt drink much at all as he gets lots of moisture from their food :)

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Hardly anything at home - once a day, twice sometimes unless he is ill.

He is fed raw so gets lots of moisture that way, plus drinks from puddles, streams etc whilst out on a walk.

6. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Henry hardly drinks anything either - usually a bit in the evening. He's on a mainly wet-food diet, though. He does often find a tree stump to drink out of in the woods, though.:D

7. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

i was wondering this too! sophie barely drinks anything at home but she looooves a muddy puddle when out on walks she would choose that over my nice clean water any day :rolleyes:

she dosent even drink a full bowl a day i dont think.

i change it every few hours so its fresh anyway

8. lotlot

lotlot PetForums VIP

Finlay hardly drinks anything at home, maybe once a day?! But then he does seem to enjoy drinking from muddy puddles on walks lol. It did really worry when he was a small pup, but surely if he needed to drink more then he would?!

9. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Buster drinks loads of water, especially after a walk and dinner. However, Coles hardly drinks any water. After a walk he doesn’t drink water, after his dinner he does not drink water. He just has a small amount throughout the day.

10. Longton Flyball

Longton Flyball PetForums Senior

Clover drinks loads but I think that's because she's still a baby.

Duke doesn't drink much usually after he's had something to eat and after playing ball but when he's out doing flyball either at comps or training I have to make him drink. Not being cruel but he had two huge operations on two overactive saliva glands so doesn't have two of them so I get very overprotective when it comes to water.

11. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Being Raw fed they dont drink a lot - I have to remember to refresh.

12. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Mine have a huge ceramic dish.
    With having Millie here (she drinks quite a bit as being fat makes her hot) they go through at least one dish full a day.

With just my 3 I have to fill it back up every other day.

This is how big my water bowl is....

[​IMG]

13. bearcub

bearcub PetForums VIP

Florence doesn't drink much at home at all, but again, most of her water comes from her food.

She is partial to drinking from tree trunks, streams and puddles though.

I do make sure that her water is refreshed 4 times a day though, even though she looks at a fresh bowl of water like it's a fresh bowl of poison at times :rolleyes:

14. Andromeda

Andromeda PetForums Senior

Exactly! :D

15. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I'm not to sure, as I change his water 3 times a day when I feed him, but he drinks a lot after a walk or after playing.

16. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Heidi has wet food and barely drinks at all. Nothing out on walks unless it's hot.

If she's been running a lot she may have a drink when she comes in - mainly in the summer.

Her normal day would be to drink nothing until the evening. (She has 2 meals a day) and not necessarily then. It concerns me so I add a bit of water to her food but it seems as tho it's pretty much normal:D

17. Lil Doglets

So it seems like it's fairly normal then! :D Thats a good point about the moisture in food too i didn't think of that.
    I just imagine them being so thirsty when i compare how much i must drink in a day lol :eek:

18. 5rivers79

5rivers79 PetForums VIP

Just a couple of pints to keep em under the legal limit, but as im responsible i make sure they dont drive afterwards.

19. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

It used to concern me when I fed kibble. She only drank slightly more and when you see how water some of the kibbles absorb - it's concerning. :confused:

20. Lil Doglets

Lol! :lol::lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice