Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much do you treat your dog? Human food?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Set_Nights, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Set_Nights

Set_Nights PetForums VIP

Hurmmm, there are quite a few threads around on obese dogs right now and how bad it is that their owners give them human food. Well I'm feeling a little guilty right now because I'm really bad for treating my dog AND giving her human food!

How often do you treat your dogs? And do you give them human food? Is this really so bad, and if so why? Does it just depend on the food itself and how it's done? Like I guess it is much harder to do calorie/portion control for a dog if you are giving them non-dog food and I guess if you have a small dog even a small amount of treating can push them over :rolleyes:. Also I suppose some people don't know about some food being toxic for dogs so it can be dangerous!

Before I get told off completely Mia is a lean beast... on days where she has been treated lots (or I know we are going to do a BBQ or a roast!) I cut her proper meals right down.

2. astraldream

astraldream PetForums Member

If i have any leftovers from my tea (not often admittedly) i will add it to their tea but adjust their normal amount accordingly.

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Buster gets so-called human food he's fed a raw diet and gets the occasional bit of ice cream or biscuits. Nothing wrong with little bits as long as you don't go overboard with it. I'd say it worse to feed them solely crappy pet food. He's too thin for my liking so the argument that you have to just give them dog food and no treats doesn't hold up there

4. Val001

Val001 PetForums Senior

We give human food but as a meal for them and not in addition. When OH cooks he invariably does a special meal for the dogs as well. We never feed from the table, it goes in their bowls but I think it gives them more variety. Otherwise its AG and webbox rolls sometimes.

5. We don't give human food to any of our dogs. Their main food is their dry dog food and for treats they have raw bones & healthy dog treats. My dogs are all a good weight & healthy and I wouldn't want to ruin that by giving them human treats.

6. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

I see no harm in giving Tummel a little bit of my food(only after i've finished eating and in his bowl) as long as i know he can cope with it(gravy gives him the runs). Last night he got some mashed potato, he would have gotten a bit of pork as well but it had gravy on it :( Tummel self regulates his feeding so i usually just add leftovers to whatever left in his bowl, he doesn't get leftovers every day as sometimes the food is just too good :p

Treats he only gets when training or out on walks(one every 4 recalls and one at the end of the walk) so no problems with weight here. He's actually a bit skinny but as i said he self regulates i dont have much say in the matter :eek:

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I've never understood the argument that you can make a carnivore sick by giving them meat over dry kibble or that real food is somehow bad for them

8. kimdelyse

kimdelyse PetForums Senior

Flo's my first dog and I always said he's only have dog food...what the hell did I know! LOL!

OH and I eat strictly low carb so most the food in the house is fresh whole meats and dairy (as in no cereal, fillers, etc) so IMO this is better for him than most of the naff dog food out there! He has a good quality kibble for breakfast and dinner, then little snacks of cheese or meats, especially if it's been a particulary exerting day at work for us I'll share a little bit of my afternoon snack. Also has cooked egg yolk most days; OH quite often has an egg white omlette so I poach all the left over yolks for Flo and my Mum's dogs.

I've not found it to be a problem, he never begs and is in great shape.

9. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

It depends on your own diet doesn't it? If you eat nothing but junk then treating your dog with leftovers will not do him any good. Ours get treated with leftover meat after the Sunday roast, I can't see how meat will be doing them any harm. I think it's about the amount given too, treats are fine as long as they don't make up the bulk of the dog's intake (just like humans, who'd of thunk it?)

10. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Rupert gets human food.

If I have a yoghurt I let him lick the pot/lid (saves me washing it out to go in recycling!)

If I have a sandwich I let the dogs have the crusts (I don't like them and we have no chickens now, it'd feel a waste)

And a few other things like that. I don't feed him off my plate or anything. If people let them they would probably sit right in front of you if you weren't sat at the dinner table but if asked they go and lie out of the way, I'd beg if I had the chance too!

As long as its not their main meals (I'm talking in terms of leftovers as I doubt they will have the exact balance a dog needs) I can't see anything wrong with it apart from personal opinion.

11. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Yes,sometimes.
    When we have a BBQ or Roast we often give them leftover bits of meat and the like.
    I can't see it doing them any harm-if anything they are all quite lean (exept for enzo the pug) and they only get small pieces of good quality meat. In their bowls,not from the table.

12. hutch6

hutch6 PetForums VIP

The foxes that go through bins for human food are never fat. I've never been asked to roll one back to it's den due to it's eyes being to big for it's belly - I suffer with that sometimes though ;)

Mine get the fat, crackling, off cuts and left overs all of the time. I just cut their actual dog food meals down accordingly and they've never been overweight.

13. LeeM018

LeeM018 PetForums Member

Very similar over here. Generally speaking I don't use treats for training. I do, however, give the odd scrap here and there. Scraps from a meat carcass, the odd bit of toast crust, a lump of cheese if i'm grating, banana ends, apples cores etc. Some people would argue that this encourages them to beg or that it holds no nutritional benefit, but I see no problem tbh (with the exception of dangerous foods like chocolate, onions etc).

The buggers are only around for little over a decade, providing you aren't over-feeding and are giving them plenty of chance to burn off , plus ensuring they hold their manners (whatever your training dictates that they should be) then i'll always be happy to throw a little treat style variety into their lives.

14. GoldenShadow

Urgh that reminds me Rupert is always having the dried end off a cucumber..! Mum is vegetarian so always eating things like cheese and cucumber sandwiches or pitta breads and so any left over bits etc the dogs can have, they love it :eek:

Got to be careful with one of the dogs who is a bit funny with some things but he's usually ok as he never gets big amounts of anything. We've done elimination diets and had no better results so I don't bother making him miss out anymore.

15. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Ours do have the odd crisp and leftover veg and the odd bit of crust here and there.

Mind you be careful what they get up too - see below :D

Attached Files:

16. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

marley has roast dinner on a sunday which includes meat, roast potatos, veggies and yorkshire pudding oh yeah and gravy. This is just once a week and he loves it, i dont worry because marley is so slim anyway. I dont give him food off my plate and always put it in his bowl.

17. GoldenShadow

Can I come to live at your house?! I don't get a roast dinner every week :laugh:

18. s4simo

s4simo PetForums Member

Bracken gets any small amounts of food left over, especially if we have a BBQ. It all goes in her own bowl though and she isn't allowed near the kids when they have food. I have to say the last few weeks she has had nearly all human food now that her weight loss is so dramatic due to her thyroid cancer, we want to spoil her a bit whilst we still can

19. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Never when I am eating, I really don't want to encourage scrounging as Kilo is food obsessed.

He sometimes gets natural yoghurt (in his Kong), carrot, bits of fruit as training rewards, very exceptionally (about once a month or less) some bits of cheese. All other training treats are 'dog' treats (healthy - fish4dogs / Barker and Barker) or grilled chicken . baked liver, homemade liver cake.

I feel a meanie compared to some of you now ;)

Edited; forgot the primula for overcoming fear of trolleys and horses!!

#19 Dogless, Apr 11, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  20. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

My lot get some bits of pizza crust if I have take out but thats about it. Normally they just have their kibble am, and raw meat pm with maybe just pizzle or sinew for treats.
    They know Im not going to share my dinner and will happily fall asleep with their noses 5ins from a sandwich coz they dont have a snowballs chance in hell of getting any!!LOL As they are so tiny it would be impossible to feed them too many people treats without them getting fat straight away.
    Occassionally they will have eggs, fish or some veg but it is instead of their dinner in that case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice