Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much do you spend on your cat per month?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by HollyM, May 6, 2010.

1. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Hi,

I am getting a new cat soon and trying to work out how much it will cost per month and wondering what you guys spend per month on your cats? I allready have 1 cat and feed him a raw diet. Thanks.

2. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

We've got 12 cats and spend about 200 pounds per month on food, 50 on litter and maybe 10 on extras like toys and treats.

Forgot to mention we feed them raw as well :)

#2 Sorcha, May 6, 2010
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  3. NEW2CATS

NEW2CATS PetForums VIP

I think with insurance, food, litter plus the odd treat or toy I probably spend £30 a month on each cat

4. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Thanks that really helps!

5. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

We have two kitties and we have insurance for both at £8 a month each, litter at £20 a month, raw food at £26, treats/toys/extra raw bits and bobs £5(ish) a month. £67 a month for the two of them... worth every penny! :D

The other side of the coin is that I know someone who doesnt insure her cats (she has two), they go outside so they dont use a litter tray, and she only feeds them a small box of go-cat between them a month... so her two cost her about £5 a month in total. I dont agree with this tho and i personally think its shocking as one small box of go-cat isnt enough to feed two adult cats a month and its also rubbish food so am sure they are probably 'supplementing' their own diet with prey and also someone elses cat food via sneaky cat flap access!

#5 The Twins, May 6, 2010
  6. The Twins

Just out of interest do you have all 12 insured as well?

7. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

No they're not insured. We save a little every month for vet costs :)

8. The Twins

Blimey - brave of you with 12 cats! Mind you i spose its swings and roundabouts as it were in terms of which is cheaper - insurance for 12 each month of saving the equivalent in a 'vet' pot for emergencies?!

9. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I do this too, it also saves having to wait on insurer paying out. I am just starting out though so this may change. It's a bit hypocrytical to be honest as I send off all my kittens wth insurance. :D

I have 5 cats atm and have no idea how much I spend on them but if I were to sit and count it up it would be a couple of hundred per month, possibly. I feed on demand, I really should keep receipts. My butcher is extortionate but my cats like their pure steak mince, I have tried Tescos and they rurn ther noses up at that, I also feed Hilife or Tesco Luxury and RC Dry for the one with the sensitive tummy.

#9 Milly22, May 6, 2010
  10. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Im sorry I darnt add it up :scared: :D

11. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

Me as well :eek: Dorrie is spoilt rotten!

12. The Twins

I lve that i am not the only one who spoils them rotten! I didnt think that £35 a month per cat is that bad to be honest!

But seeing as i know someone who spends £5 a month on two cats, i think thats more shocking to be frank!

13. Cazza1974

Cazza1974 PetForums VIP

So do I. What is the point of having an animal if you are not prepared to take on the resposibility. And as for Go-Cat:rolleyes:

14. Themis

Themis PetForums Senior

I'd say £40-50 a month for my 2 Cats. £11.50 on Insurance, about £7-8 on litter (I only use cheap stuff and a bag lasts them a week or slightly longer) and maybe £20ish on food. I feed raw and £11 worth of food that I bought lasted almost 2 weeks.

Not taking into account other bits of food that I pick up for them as "treats", or toys that I buy for them.

15. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I spend 80 a month on mine :lol:

16. Muriel May

Muriel May Guest

I spend about £40 a month on my 1 cat, Food £5 a week. Litter £4 a week. Insurance £4 a month and then i like to get her some cat milk as well but she doesnt get that all the time just as a treat. :D:D

17. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Im not completly sure to be honest :confused1:

Dry food is 32$ a bag sometimes 40$ a bag for 10 pounds lasts me three weeks roughly.

Litter lasts me a long time and it comes in a box of 10 pounds for 8$

Since getting the cats starting in july 08 I have most likely spent 2000$ and up :scared:

I have three cats myself and my mom has one but my mom takes care of anything her cat needs.

18. The Twins

Which litter do you use that is that cheap and lasts two cats for a month?!?!

I have indoor kitties - and i buy a bag of worlds best per month for £19.99 from [email protected] £7-8 for a months worth of litter for two kitties is really cheap!

And what raw are you using? Your own or ready made?

19. The Twins

out of interest what insurance do you have? Mine is £8 a month for each cat -which is double what you're paying...!!

20. Muriel May

Muriel May Guest

I have got Tesco pet insurance it is just the basic insurance nothing fancy. Its actually £3.74 or something like that so nearly £4 a month. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice