Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much do you feed??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Spaniel mad, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

There is probably already a thread on this but hey nevermind

Anyway

I was wondering what you feed your doggies and how much

I know the packaging gives a rough guideline but i wanted to hear from real people how much they feed

2. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

If I'm honest, I don't really know how much Alfie eats. We hill his bowl for breakfast, and what he doesn't eat he gets for lunch (if there isn't much left, we'll add some of course). Then for tea he gets a bowl full again. All in all, I'd say he gets 2 bowls a day. No idea what that is in grams! We did measure it out at first and he was eating all of it, so we sort of guess now! If he seems hungry, we feed him more. Oh, and I'm not going to say which food we feed him on as everyone has different opinions on food.

3. Spaniel mad

I have a eukanuba cup and for brekkie they get almost a cup full of Arden Grange Dry. They dont always eat it all.

For lunch they have a big bonio aswell as several other treats throughout the day

For dinner they have a tin of food each with some mixer

4. smegs1978

smegs1978 PetForums Junior

Barney has a tin of puppy food with mixer for breakfast and dinner and then a small bowl of pro plan for his supper. We are thinking of moving him from wet meat to pro plan, but need to use up the 6 cans of puppy food we have in the cupboard so doing it gradually over the next week.

5. Spaniel mad

My puppies have a tray of Nature diet between them split over 3 meals with some burns dry mixed in and their 4th meal is just burns dry

6. Billy eats about 1/2 of a pack of naturediet a day on his ND only days. If he is having raw too then he will only have a lil bit of nd for breakfast - the rest of his meal and dinner will be his raw meaty bones.

7. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Lilly has 10 gr of burns mini bites for breakfast and 30 gr for tea. And Zipper has 15 gr for breakfast and 50 for tea. Just under the guide lines on the packet

8. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

My older when he was fit was getting one cup a day of JWB + table scraps and the odd bonio treat thoughout the week.
    My younger is getting 220g + apple and carrot

My older is now dieting and getting one cup split over 2 meals with no treats apart from apple and carrot.

I have changed to Orjen however which has a higher protein content.

If you dogs are getting enough exercise then I dont suppose it matters but you need to watch for weight gain as they are prone to put weight on. I try to keep mne around 21kg. :)

9. Spaniel mad

I was hoping to put the big dogs on nature diet and i was wondering how much to give them

They are all on the larger side lol

Would half a tray each with mixer be enough for dinner??

10. rona

rona Guest

I give Alfie one nature diet in the morning and Chappie small tin in the evening, he also has about one good handful of JWB as treats throughout the day.
    For optimum nutrition, you should feed somewhere near the recommended amount, for a Lab sized dog that would be 3-4 packs a day. This works out quite expensive, that's why I make it up with reasonable quality dry food
    Naturediet

11. Spaniel mad

As the vet said - Lilo could do with loosing a few pounds lol

They have a cup full of Arden Grange dry in the morning and several treats throughout the day aswell as a big bonio for lunch

12. rona

rona Guest

How old is she?
    Alf is on the senior food now since he hurt his leg and hasn't been so active, he's in good condition

13. Spaniel mad

Lilo is 4

Just been looking on the internet as i would buy in bulk

The vet did say to feed them chappie as its good for them

So im thinking of feeding one day nature diet and the next chappie

they have had chappie before and they loved it

14. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

hi, Bracken has half tub of ND along with dry food, about 150g, he only has 2 mini bonio bones and a dental stick each day no other treats.

15. rona

rona Guest

Why don't you use your dry food as treats?

16. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

Sorry yes i do that, when we are out walking i have some of his dry food in a treat bag that he will get. i meant no extras like scrapes,
    he also has apples and carrots for treats

17. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Ty and Lottie get a gravy bone after their morning wees then Ty has a small bowl of dry in the morning (it used to be JWB but that gave him terrible wind!) and another small bowl in the evening with 1/3 of a tray chicken ND
    We need to watch his weight as he had a hip op after being hit by a car (before we got him)

Lottie has a big bowl of Bakers puppy in the morning (its what she was on before we adopted her) and another not so big bowl in the evening mixed with ND puppy/junior-about 1/2 a tray.

They both get a few treats during the day and the odd bit of carrot but generally no table scraps apart from what the kids sneakto them!!!

18. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

skye currently gets 4 small meals of arden grange a day. roughly about 20-25 grams per meal at the moment but im going to start increasing it now as shes growing so rapidly!

19. Spaniel mad

I think i might try and give the big dogs their cup full of Arden Grange in the morning and the usual bonio and other treats through the day and some nature diet in the evening

Just need to figure out how much is the right amount

20. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

if im right a tray of ND is 380g. So 1/2 would be 160g. if your looking at looseing them some weight id split this again for breakfast and dinner 90g in each (1/4 tray) with some mixer kibble in the morning.

Springers love to work and being food orientated youll see a marked improvement in them wanting to please you. If they are around the 25kg mark then weight loss is a must id say. Just cutting the treats and table scraps out will see weight tumble off, but you have to be dedicated to this, within 2 - 3 weeks you should see the best part of kilo gone :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice