Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much and how many times a day to feed my Maltese Terrier and the ideal weight for it to be

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JessicaL1221, Oct 9, 2019.

1. JessicaL1221

JessicaL1221 PetForums Newbie

I've recently just got Buddy, he's a Male Adult miniature Maltese Terrier. His last owner had dementia and forgot to feed him so the family had to unfortunately re-home him.

He doesn't eat on his own he needs to be with someone while he eats, the more comfortable he's getting with us he is getting confidant to eat alone sometimes but we've decided to try certain times to get him into a routine because ATM we've got him just helping himself to what's in the bowl which is fine with us at least he's eating but also want him into a routine.

He goes for up to 3 walks a day.

What we are trying to figure out is what is his ideal weight and how many times a day should we be feeding him?
    1 or 2x a day
    Hand fulls or how many grams is ideal?
    We currently read him at 2.12 kelos which if I'm correct is 4 pounds?.. is this a healthy weight for the type and size of buddy?

(He's currently enjoying langhams dry grain free kibbles)

PS.. we've always had bigger dogs in the past so it's a first with such a tiny dog.

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

For dogs I don't go by weight but by body condition
    BCS-Canine.jpg

So where your dog is on here, depends what you need to be feeding.

As a general rule most feeding guides are generous, so if he's in the ideal weight range I would knock off 20% and feed from there. Twice a day.

Underweight, use the full amount recommended but feed over 3/4 meals.. If no weight gain after say 4-6 weeks then add another 10-20% of amount of food.

Overweight, start with 70% of what's recommended. Twice a day.

You may find he might need more as am also guessing new home, new environment causes stress and also a new exercise regime will all add to weightless.

If he needs someone with him to feed at first it's OK. Probably stress thing as already stated.

3. JessicaL1221

Thank you, he's just a tiny dog it's hard to tell if he's genuinely meant to be thin or if he is underweight, I personally think he's to thin you can feel his ribs and back but he's so fluffy it's hard to actually see it. like I said earlier he weighs 2.12 kelos. We're going to keep up the 2x a day feed but whatever he doesn't finish after the morning I'll just keep down so he can help himself, my mam says he must have a small stomach as he can only manage about less than a handful each time and we'll just weigh him every week to see if he's gaining or staying the same.

Yesterday he had his morning food sat with me and then by lunch time he went and helped himself by himself which is a first for him we got him sunday so it makes me think he must be feeling comfortable and confident in our house and then he eaten the majority of what was left on the tea time sat with me again. He takes a couple out and places them on the floor to eat by my feet, I've never seen a dog do this before.

I'm not to concerned because he's full of life and so active he loves to play and chase a ball. I think I just want to get it right and not mess up for him but I'd never leave him to go hungry lol

My other 2 dogs I use to have they had set times and walks but they were bigger so like I said a smaller dog is new to us.

(I've added a picture of him, I'm going to look for a groomers next week as he's in need of a cut) haha IMG_20191010_075028.jpg

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

You SHOULD be able to feel his ribs without digging around - run the back of your hand along his side and you should feel the bumps against your knuckles. It is trickier with a fluffier dog. You should also be able to just feel the spine, but it shouldn't be sticking up above the muscle on either side. He looks OK in the photo (very cute, actually). Very thin dogs sow it in the face and his looks fine.

Mum2Heidi and Torin. like this.
  5. JessicaL1221

Thank you he is lush lol! I think it's just a settling thing for him because it's been 5 days now and he's not whining or barking when I leave the house and he's listening to commands "bed" and "lay on his blanket" etc.. he's picking up on eating abit more and at the set times but still small amounts which is fine, I try fill gaps with the odd treat here and there when he's been good. The more settled he's getting you see more of his personality. I think I'm worrying over nothing. It's just trying to pick up from what happened to him with his last owners I know it's not their fault or his, I just want him to know he'll never get neglected again!

Mum2Heidi and Burrowzig like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice