Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How much a month to keep a Labrador?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Georgina Jackson, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Georgina Jackson

Georgina Jackson PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone my first post so please be kind

Me and my partner are considering buying a Labrador puppy next year so plenty of time to do our research and properly plan out if this breed will be best suited to us. I have two daughters they will be 8 and 4 next year. This will be our first dog as a family, (I grew up with cats but always wanted a dog!) Was just wondering roughly how much each month it would be to keep a large dog?
    Pet insurance?
    Food costs?
    That sort of thing ?

2. Squeeze

Squeeze PetForums VIP

Just like anything you get what you pay for...
    Insurance can be as cheap as a tenner a month but the cover will be minimal, do some proper research on insurance because you really get what you pay for.
    There are lots of threads on here relating to insurance advice. Hopefully it’ll be something you’ll never need to use.
    Just as a guideline my 9 year old labs insurance is just short of £40 a month (it costs me twice as much to insure my dog per year than my car!)
    With food it depends what you intend to feed.
    Again have a search around on here as there is lots and lots of good advice. :)

MissKittyKat and kimthecat like this.
  3. BUDDY18

BUDDY18 PetForums Member

Hello :)

We have a golden retriever (19 weeks) I am £19 a month with direct line, but go onto gocompare and have a look at the various options and see what is best for you.

Food costs, I would avoid the super cheap as it is essentially just junk and puppy years need higher nutrients etc, check out https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ for food types and costs. We use skinners puppy, our pup loves it, it's middle of range, not everyone agrees with it (as you will soon find out) but we got lots of great reviews from other breeders who owned retrievers and their dogs all looked beautiful and healthy. We are £32 (i think) for a 15kg and we go through that in roughly 3 weeks.

They are high energy dogs so although in their puppy months (5 mins walk for each month of their life twice a day) they wil need plenty of exercise and stimulation, if not they will become destructive - although some dogs are destructive anyway!

We both work full time and so if it helps at all this our routine:

Up at 6am every day (thank the lordy he likes a snooze and won't wake until after 7 at the weekends) between 6 and 6:30 we play / train
    6:30 out for a walk
    7:30 breakfast time (you need to ideally give them an hour before and after exercise before they eat due to tummy twists etc)
    Last person leaves the house at 8:15
    He then sleeps in his big play pen until our dog walker arrives at 12pm - he is then out for a walk and playtime for an hour and gets his lunch when he is back (this costs £12 per day)
    5pm I am home and off out we go for exercise / play in the garden and a bit of training
    6pm out for another short walk around the block burn off some energy
    7:30pm - dinner

In the evening we do more play and training with him and he goes to bed at 10:30pm

I am exhausted so kids for us is firmly off the table right now haha!!

Boxer123, MissKittyKat and kimthecat like this.
  4. Georgina Jackson

[]

Thankyou!

That's brilliant advice with the routine, we always knew a puppy would need alot of attention but yes ive heard labradors especially have alot of energy but atleast it'll keep us active as a family!

I've heard so many different things about which dog food is best especially with all this hype about raw meat diet it's confusing I want my the puppy to grow up healthy but so many people have different opinions on what's healthy and what isn't!

I work part time 2 days a week 10-7 but will do as you do with getting up early and taking for play and training also checking in during lunch break and then a further play and training in the evening.

How is the training going?

MissKittyKat and BUDDY18 like this.
  5. BUDDY18

BUDDY18 PetForums Member

Akela and eden is meant to be the top, but I'm wary to change when he is eating it and is good on it.

Training is going very well but I think the breed in general are quick learners so we cant take all the credit. He's pretty good on the whole other than being adamant at getting my feet (and only mine) and he is a bugger for fighting sleep, will conk out within minutes of being in the kitchen but the living room turns him into a brat hah!

6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

The really important thing with labradors is finding a good breeder who breeds for health. So many labs being churned out with no health testing. They are prone to dodgy joints so you want to make sure they have good hip and elbow scores. Again, you get what you pay for! Get a good quality, well bred lab and you are much less likely to have to fork out vet bills related to health issues in the breed. There was someone round me a few years ago breeding labradors with practically no hip joints at all. The poor puppy owners had no idea until they found the dogs couldn't walk even before they reached a year old.

7. MissKittyKat

MissKittyKat ❤️ BSH, Silver Rules.....and Labs ❤️

IMG_20190330_191546.jpg IMG_20190302_153132.jpg IMG_20190311_190651.jpg IMG_20190331_174928.jpg FB_IMG_1553426144636.jpg Hi.

Any excuse to post a pic :) My partner and I adopted Woody last Summer at 3.5, he's now 4 and everyone he meets mistakes him for a pup but he's just full of life.

We use petplan, lifetime with £7000 limit (as this should cover a hip replacement if ever needed, my main fear even though I have no reason to think it is a problem) £50 /month. I also have my cats insured with petplan and they are brilliant at paying out when I've needed them for my oldest cat.

I use raw (from a local petstore) for working dogs so no fancy labels or containers but he adores it, I also feed a mid range kibble (Barking Heads Lamb), tried Akela as it's meant to be one of the best but Woody's tummy didnt. It is too rich. £60/£70 every two months.

I also pay £15/month to the vets for all annual flea, worming, vaccines and annual check up. Most vets now do this type of plan.

We have a similar routine to Buddy18 but get a lie in until 8am at the weekend but then it's time for canicross and exploring. Canicross is £6/session. I also travel and he comes with me on new adventures. He has an amazing nature and is very adaptable.

We did some training classes when we got him for my benefit really, partner had dogs growing up I hadn't so it was good for me to learn the basics of training which has help me loads over the last 6 months to develop games and tricks to keep his brain stimulated. £60 for 8 weeks.

He had also never been swimming so every couple of months we got to a hydropool for a fun swim as I wanted to build his ability so we could swim in the sea in the summer. If we are at the beach he will happily now swim, but knows his limits, it's still too cold for me! £30/session.

#7 MissKittyKat, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  8. Cookielabrador

Cookielabrador PetForums Senior

Lovely pics - Woody is so sweet!! :D
    Cookie ( our red fox lab) came from a KC registered breeder - and as a result hasn’t had any medical issues, which has kept vet bills down! Preferably make sure that the breeder you choose to buy your puppy from has had health tests.
    Training was fine - Labs are usually very fast learners
    We use ‘Country Hunter’ wet food, and ‘Wagg’ kibble!
    If you are worried about the price of the puppy, maybe rescue a Lab? :)

9. MissKittyKat

Also don't rule out the breed rescues as there are always labs needing homes as people think they are good natured and easy but seem to forget they are working dogs and you need to put in the time to get a goregous loveable dog in return.

10. Georgina Jackson

We have thought about rescue dogs but as we have two younger children finding it hard to find any centres that will allow us to adopt.. we looked into Spanish rescue dogs aswell but a friend adopted pup from Spain and found it to be very nervous and snapping at the children. So I think finding a good breeder will work for us this may seem like a silly question but is there different personalities with different colour labs? hope that isn't a silly question haha! X

11. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I'm so glad Loki passes out at 7 !

12. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Beautiful dog what a smile.

13. BUDDY18

BUDDY18 PetForums Member

I hope ours will too eventually Haha

Georgina Jackson likes this.
  14. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi PetForums Senior

You could contact some rescues to see if any have suitable labs, or give them your contacts in case one comes up? :) Another option could be a pup from a rescue, we adopted our collie mix from Dogs Trust when she was 8 weeks and a day old to be exact. She was born in the shelter, as her pregnant mom was rescued from being put down in a pound. So you could look around for a rescue with lab pups available? They are a popular breed so there's bound to be a rescue somewhere that has some looking for a loving home x

15. MissKittyKat

I think this has been debated loads and I am no expert but can only go on experience.

Black labs are seen more in the working world, my sister has a black boy who doesn't seem much different to Woody.

IMG_2697.JPG

The bigger difference between them is Rossi is show lines so his stature is completely different, woody is working dog lines with lots of field trial champions in his history, intelligence wise I wouldn't notice a differece but they can stillbe crazy labs (Rossi is 7)when they want to.

My sister also had a chocolate lab which really was completely different and definitely not as trainable.

I have the book below which describes them quite well, it is just a funny little book in general.
    IMG_20190405_203710.jpg
    IMG_20190405_203733.jpg
    IMG_20190405_203746__02.jpg

If you do want to look at breed rescues again, this one I have been to a couple of meets, they aren't in the South much currently and more in your area but they are definitely a hard working small breed rescue https://www.labradorsinneed.co.uk

16. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

It isn't a silly question at all ...and as has been said tis often debated :D In my family we have owned all three colours over many years (and many Labs) and I would agree with the general surmise - you have two lines ; working or show and they generally offer a different body shape. The Black Labs have been favoured as working dogs for a long time and this has given them extra drive in my experience (I have two working line Black Labs). A good working Lab is lively on a walk (when working) and completely relaxed at home (mine just chill). Yellow Labs can come from working lines so you will need to look at the pedigree but many are more pet lines. They are happy, friendly, lively and generally easy going. Our yellows have always been the most relaxed. And Chocolates are just Chocolates. Lovable, happy to go with the flow, generally more pet lines but not the fastest to learn. (Fox Red's have come out of breeding the darker pups in yellow lines although I have found their temperaments do vary).

I actually have no idea of costs as I have six dogs and I just buy food by the sack. Mine love Skinners - it's not expensive. And I add my own fish/meat extras.

But I do love Labs :D (Yes, any excuse to post a pic)

[​IMG]

J

17. Cookielabrador

Cookielabrador PetForums Senior

As said above, The colour of the labs doesn't really affect temperament , but some differences are -
    - Chocolate labs are generally less healthy as they can be inbred and have much larger, domed skulls
    - Personality can depend on whether the dog is bred for working purposes or show purposes.
    - Working dogs tend to be more athletic and need a lot more excercise and mental stimulation, however usually more intelligent and faster to train but are a great option for active families
    - Show dogs need less excercise but can be harder to train and boisterous. They can be heavier than working dogs, but make great family pets as they are so friendly!
    Usually, Red/Black are bred for working while Yellow and Chocolate labs are bred for show.
    You could probably guess the personality more accurately if you meet the puppy’s parents
    Good Luck! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice