Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How many words/commands does your dog(s) know?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Phoolf, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Just for fun and because I want to count up, so far Kes knows:

sit, stay, wait, lie down, here, come here, with me, paw, other paw, thank you (command to stop her barking), move, down, out, up (stand), circle (spin), go play (meaning its okay to go investigate), this way (change direction so you stay with me), bed, toy, ball, find it, good girl.

That's 22 I can think of. She probably knows OIGETOUTOFTHEREAWAYFROMTHEROASTCHICKEN too but I think that's more tone of voice ;):D

Edit: Forgot 'weewees' and basket so 24
    And drop it, leave it, take it, look at me 28

#1 Phoolf, Oct 31, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. dexter12

dexter12 PetForums Senior

wow that is a lot!

dexter knows :

stay, lay, down, paw,other paw, bed, weewees, wait, thats basically it at the moment lol 8 dosent look impresive after your 20 odd lol

3. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

Umm....
    sit, wait, down, stand, heel, back, leave, drop, in (onto the verge), way (as in "this way"), high five, ten, wiggle, bang and kapow ("dying" to the left or right), rollover, slipper, fetch the hay, take it back, fetch the post, take it (as in a treat), go to OH, go to myshkin, stay, bed, mat, watch, frisbee, spin, come here, off you go....can't think of anymore, so 31.
    We're not teaching him enough, that's pretty lame for a BC :D

ETA: completely forgot no (stop what you're doing!) and quiet...33 it is then.

#3 myshkin, Oct 31, 2012
  4. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

Kes puts my 2 to shame!! :laugh:

Dibley knows 'sit', 'wait', 'come', 'up' (stand up on back legs), 'go lay down' (means go to bed), 'leave it'. = 6

Alice knows 'sit' and 'come' so far :) = 2

So my 2 know a very poor 8 between them at the moment :eek:

5. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Never really thought about it before tbh, only came to mind because someone said 'dogs don't know English' (obviously) so I wondered how big a vocabulary Kes actually has. :)

6. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Aye, you're slacking, I expect border collies to at least know 'get the kettle on pet' and 'fetch my slippers'. ;)

7. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Dougie is very clever, he does sentences rather than one word commands eg shift your ass, thats a stupid place to lie, Douglas what are you doing etc :)

8. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Funny I just found the home work sheet from last weeks training class - luckily there was no home work just a list of words we should have learnt through the course :eek:.
    We know (almost) absolutely - Wait, sit, lie down, off, stay, mine (as in mine not hers, to give up a toy) up (stand or jump up), bedtime, ah ah! oh and we definitely know good girl/boy? :D.
    We do know but are selective about - come, back, heel, steady, this way, Ginger :rolleyes:, leave it, watch me, over, through, in, out.

So 11/22 depending how we are feeling, not bad actually :D

mmm can't think of any more, they did tell us the average was 300 words but there is one dog who knows over a 1000

ETA Myshkin reminded me she is meant to understand quiet - I say it enough but obviously haven't got through yet!!!!

#8 GingerRogers, Oct 31, 2012
  9. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

wow! Clever bunny! that's a lot to know!

I still think that super-intelligent Collie is amazing- skip to 5.11 for brainydog!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUCdWyLNNXU

Nibs knows- sit, down, paw, beg, bed, wait, no, come, up, cross (for crossing the road) go wee wee and leave it.

Ambam knows those and also speak, speak softly, paws on shoulders and kisses.

Pixpox knows the same as Nibs' and also beg, spin left, spin right, and she's learning roll over, hide, zombie-crawl and high-ten.

10. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

I am very disappointed that he hasn't learnt to open a bottle of red wine and pour me a glass yet. May ask for my money back. :laugh:

11. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Down, sit, stand, here, come, heel, close, hold, drop, leave, seek, find, search, over, under, away, wait, stay, left, right, in, out

12. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

wow! Clever bunny! that's a lot to know!

I still think that super-intelligent Collie is amazing- skip to 5.11 for brainydog!
    BBC Super Smart Animals Part 2/2 (1/2 BLOCKED BY THE BBC) - YouTube

Nibs knows- sit, down, paw, beg, bed, wait, no, come, up, cross (for crossing the road) go wee wee and leave it.

Ambam knows those and also speak, speak softly, paws on shoulders and kisses.

Pixpox knows the same as Nibs' and also beg, spin left, spin right, and she's learning roll over, hide, zombie-crawl and high-ten.

13. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

My dog doesn't know that many commands, since I haven't taught her that many tricks yet (my Aussie knew more than 30 tricks, so including the everyday commands and competition commands she knew about 50-60 words/commands). But here's a list of the commands she knows.

Good
    Okey (her release command)
    Sit
    Down (means an 'active' down, for competition)
    Lie down (just means to lie down in whatever fashion she likes)
    Stand
    Heel (heeling command for competition)
    Walk here (everyday command to walk beside me)
    Come (recall command for competition)
    Here (recall command in every day life)
    Come here (if I want her to get closer to me, for example to cuddle)
    Look at me
    Fetch
    Get it
    Leave it
    Jump
    Back
    Up
    Forward
    Stop
    Left/Right (to know which way to turn while cycling with her)
    Slow down
    Be still (when she balances a treat on her nose)
    Hold (when she holds a treat in her mouth waiting to hear 'okey')
    Dead (the command to play dead)
    Paw
    Weave

I haven't taught her "no" or any similar command, but she also knows "hrm", "ah ah" or "OI" :)

14. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

And Shorty, let's see: leave, take it, bed, sit and "oh god Shorty no!" which is multi purpose but usually used for "leave the cat alone". :D
    So 5 for Shorty (there are a couple of others, but I don't think it counts if he only does it when he feels like it!).

15. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

300? Blimey! I've got a lot of work to do. :D When I do more advanced obedience and start agility I might get her up to around 50 I think but that might be enough.

16. NaturalCanines

NaturalCanines PetForums Junior

Ok let's see if I can remember them all;

Sit, Down, Drop on command, Hold, Wait, Heel, Finish, Close, Give, Leave it, Toilet (or wee wees), Away, Loose, Up, Beg, Stand, Watch me, Say hi, Bed, Enough, Good girl, Ok, This way, Nicely, Ah ah, Over, Through, On, Off, Weave, Come.

Can't think of anymore except "GET IT" which we used recently when we had a mouse in the house.

#16 NaturalCanines, Oct 31, 2012
  17. Bagrat

Bagrat PetForums VIP

Jackson knows - on a good day- sit, down, wait (wait for another command/ wait in one place till called) stay ( stay until I return to him),paw, high five, touch ( my hand or finger), say Hi, ( go to touch OH's hand and return to me, and vice versa), leave it, take it, come (work in progress), settle( from down lie on side), walkies, hurry up ( wee). That's 14 in 4 months - I hadn't realised. Oh and mat, off, lessgo ( quick change of direction) and look (at me) as opposed to watch ( some scary thing like a leaf)
    He knows a whistle means treats, the back door locking means go into crate, making two cups of tea means go upstairs ( morning tea) so several wasted journeys upstairs during the day for him!! Front door bell runs into front room to look out and the excellent by product - I can shut the door on him.

#17 Bagrat, Oct 31, 2012
  18. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

Ooh, I don't think I meant average, I meant that is what is attainable with most clever dogs if you try hard enough I don't think its average at all, some dogs don't know anything bar their name round here :p

19. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

I love the way Gruff recognises the sound of the pc shutting down and waits at the door for his walk :)

20. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Sit - can do with voice command and whistle so counts as 2
    Lie down - can do with voice command and whistle so x 2
    Come - can do with voice comman and whistle x 2

Off, Up, Heel, Fetch, Go play, Wee wees, Over, Paw, Bed, Out and she used to do roll over, but have not practised that for ages so not sure if she can still do that!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice