How many walks a day

Discussion in 'Dog Walking' started by em.bar, Jan 23, 2018.

1. em.bar

em.bar PetForums Newbie

Hello!
    I’m at the early stages of setting up my own dog walking business, figuring out the logistics and my finances.
    How many group walks realistically can you do in a day?
    If people could let me know a timeline of their ‘typical day’ it would be really helpful :)
    I understand everyone will work slightly differently and will have different client needs to make, but it’s just to get an idea of what’s doable and what isn’t!
    Thanks!

2. Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones PetForums Member

I started my dog walking business back in the summer of last year. All the dogs I have I walk on their own starting from about 9 am. Up to now, I haven't been in a situation to do group walks. There is a large market out there for individual walks. I've done a lot of weekend walks and evening walks too.

Seonag likes this.
  3. em.bar

em.bar PetForums Newbie

That’s helpful to know, thank you!
    How many individual walks roughly do you do a day?

4. Darrell Jones

Darrell Jones PetForums Member

I walked the same dog 3 times today for an hour each, the owners work long hours :)

I do about 4 - 6 individual walks a day, depending on the day

Seonag and em.bar like this.
  5. Bertram Fosdyke

Bertram Fosdyke PetForums Newbie

Howdy, I'm in a similar situation to you right now and would love to hear from established dog walkers with regard to frequency and timing of group dogs walks.

Anybody, please?

Cheers

em.bar likes this.
  6. Jelevents

Jelevents PetForums Member

Hi I do group walks with a maximum of 5 dogs on average I do 3 walks a day starting at 9.00 for first dog pick up, drive and collect the other dogs, drive to location and start the hour walk, then drive and drop off all the dogs, I then do a 30 minute solo walk for a puppy from his house,this means 2nd walk first dog collection is around 11.30 then repeat collection/walk/drop off, this takes you up to around 1.30 for the collection of the first dog for the 3rd walk,
    then back for the puppy at 3.30 for another 30 minute walk.
    All depends on how big an area you are wiling to cover I chose 10 miles maximum which is a big area to cover and regularly clock up 60/70 miles a day, if you can get more than 1 dog from the same house or dogs that live nearby to each other this helps with the logistics a lot.
    4 walks is the most I've done in one day and remember during winter the days are shorter and I wouldn't walk dogs once it starts to get dark (only my own once I get home)
    So if doing group walks allow around 2 hours per walk and factor in extra time for cleaning off when wet and muddy, plus the odd unexpected emergency vet run after a dog slices open a pad, collapses on you after finding a bees nest and goes into anaphylactic shock, gets bitten by another dog, plus any other unexpected events to add to your day, then you should be fine.

Maxine67, Seonag and em.bar like this.
  7. Seonag

Seonag PetForums Junior

Wow that will keep you fit lol

8. Vicky Smith

Vicky Smith PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I did a three day course on dog walking with the Pet Industry federation last year and got some great advice on the legalities of dog walking and how to make sure me and the dogs are safe. it might be worth doing something like that if you are new to it all?

9. Annelle Everline

Annelle Everline PetForums Newbie

I go for walk once in a day in a day, I think that's why my pet is becoming fat.:rolleyes:

10. Seonag

Seonag PetForums Junior

You also need to look

11. Seonag

Seonag PetForums Junior

You will also need to look at how much food including treats your dog is getting. I walk my dog at least 3 times a day usuly four time. He was weighed at couple of days ago and he's put on weight (even with all the walking), so have reduced how much food he's getting. He's a Pug and their fuel gage don't work so always on empty lol so that will teach me not weighing him more often (free at vets4pets) feel really guilty for letting it creep up.

12. em.bar

em.bar PetForums Newbie

Hi Vicky

I wouldn’t say I’m completely new to it all as I have qualifications in animal care, and several years experience working with dogs including group walks - but in the sense of starting my own business, yes very new to it, so will take all the advice I can get! Is the course mainly focused on dog handling or the business side of things?