Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How many times a day do you take your dog for a walk?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by stevecov, Jul 21, 2009.

1. stevecov

stevecov PetForums Junior

I am intrigued to see how many times daily you takes your dogs for walks? That's if you take them daily. I usually take them once a day, typically down the beach for a very long run around however on rare occasions I sometimes have a day's break.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Alfie goes out twice a day, an hour each time. Oscar goes out once for an hour.

3. stevecov

That's quite a lot, I have problems with walks around my area, there are few nice places to go so the beach is the favorite and is only a 5 minute drive. Means I can't take them out as much tho :( I think I am going to have to further explore my area and find some nice places. I found an ok walk the other day just by following my dogs!

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

If I had a day's break Dave would have a tantrum. Lol!

Both dogs get walked after breakfast across to the field for a run.
    They both get to the park after lunch and if I'm not quick about it Dave get's very edgy and hyper.

Sometimes in the evening I just take Dave with his brother next door, unless it is a big walk we are going (2 and a half hours) I take them both.

Before we had Dave, I would occasionally not take Dixie out, as she was more than happy with some games of fetch or find. But with more than one dog, and with one being young and energetic as Dave, I am careful to make sure they both get plenty of exercise, otherwise arguments (between them) start.

x

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

They get an hour walk in the morning and an hour walk in the evening. I have pretty high energy dogs they go nuts without it.

6. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Twice a day for over an hour each time off lead, everyday..come rain or shine!! My dogs are left all day (with garden access) so it's the least I can do. I can imagine how bored I'd be shut in the same house with only 30 mins walk to break the boredom.

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Alfie will gladly tell anyone who would listen that this is nowhere near enough. He'd happily potter about all day.
    In their younger years we would hike 3 times a week for about 4-5 hours at a time.

A walk doesn thave to be in the countryside, a forest, or a beach. Its about getting them out of the house, breaking up the monotomy of the day, and getting the heart, lungs and nose going. Even if its a lead walk around the streets, it should be done regularily.

What dog do you have?

8. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Like your footnote about "just one litter". Ventured onto the breeding section yet? lol :D

9. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

An hour and a half for the two high energy ones and 30 mins - 1 hour for the lower energy dog.

My dogs cannot be walked all together off the lead yet, so working full time I do what I can x

10. stevecov

I have a miniature poodle (not mine but I still walk it) and a golden retriever but the golden retriever is very old and can get very tired easily.

#10 stevecov, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  11. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

I walk my ebt 3 times a day, sometimes 4 or 5 if im extra bored. Their mostly under 15min though, but hey.. :) Also in the morning i walk for an hour straight, hurray for unemployment. Hope my dog dont get depressed wen i find a job..

Wen i worked it was 1 time in the morning for 15-20minutes, and a quick run in the evening.

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I do a lead walk in the morning 40 minutes to an hour, then we go to work - I'm a gardener and my dog helps by carrying my gloves, or is free to frolic around if I'm just cutting grass. Depending on which gardens we have done that day, and how active Zig has been in them, we will usually go for another walk to the park for free running and games of fetch, memorial steps (that's where Zig goes up the memorial steps, throws her ball so it bounces down on each step, then I try to kick it over her head into the fountain), dog-in-goal (that's where Zig goes under a park bench, rolls the ball down a slope, I kick it back to near the bench, she tries to catch it) or other similar games. We also do training exercises, such as getting her to wait before finding the ball. The second walk takes a good hour.

13. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

MAc is a westie puppy age 17 weeks on school days he goes on the school run/walk and 30-50mins on an evening. while on school hols though i still am trying to take him out for a walk in the morning and evening just on the extendable lead round the streets sometimes round a field. on a weekend if we go out for a walk say to the hadrians wall thats his favourite long grass and long walks he loves.
    sometimes his mam comes too and he gets wornout more

14. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I'm sorry what??

You shouldn't be taking such a young pup out for that long as its bones aren't fully developed!

15. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

his breeder know and she hasnt told me not too he gets distructive if he doesnt go out. i carry him if he gets tired

16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I am on a farm so mine seldom get formal walks but get taken out several times a day either for a run in the field or to hang around the yard while I work.
    I do sometimes go out in the car to a walking place but the old dog can only manage about 10 minutes before going lame and so can I!
    When I lived in a town my dogs got about 45minutes before I went to work, 15 minutes as soon as I got back followed by a longer walk later on and another 15 minutes last thing at night. As well as training classes twice a week and obedience shows most weekends.

17. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

Daisy get two walks (off lead running!! LOL) a day, minimum of 45 mins each time. at weekends she gets more. She also gets a fair amount of time harassing the local birds/squirrels in our back garden too :rolleyes:
    She'd drive me loopy with anything less!!

18. zanussi

zanussi PetForums Member

We do 2-3 hours in the morning and then 1-2 hours in the afternoon/early evening. For the rest of the day Banjo pretty much sleeps apart from a little play in the garden and some time spent training & playing together. My OH walks him at weekends so I get a bit of time to let my legs recover!

19. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

I personally only subscribe to the 5 min rule for larger breeds or those with hip problems.

I think you are right to go with your gut for a westie, where there aren't these issues, he will let you know how little or much he needs as I'm sure you have found. As long as you are not running him ragged or letting him jump I would have thought it would be OK ;)

20. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Matrix and Logan play together all day on and off so we only take Logan round the block for about half an hour in the evenings (he is only 5 months old) and Matrix goes out once a day, no set time of the day, depends what we are doing, for about 1 to 1 and 1/2 hour walk.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice