Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How many of you

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Horse and Hound, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

have a combination of things your dog will eat?

For me I have raw mince, betty miller mixer, skinners and hi-life. I tend to feed a combination throughout the week as this seems to really work with the fuss pot as he thinks he's onto a winner when it changes... :rolleyes:

Harvey will eat anything though, so I don't worry about him, I'm happy he's getting what he needs, but take for instance yesterday I fed Roo and Harvey, Roo then cleaned up the skinners that Harvey was knocking onto the floor, so he was clearly in an "i'll eat tht today mummy" mode.

So he got skinners. THis morning, he had hi-life and a few small bite Betty Miller mixer biscuits.

Its not caused any reactions, if anything his coat and skin are in mint condition (they are also getting Yumega oil each day, and fish once a week) his movements are normal and regular (usually goes 2 times a day, sometimes 3 depending!) but someone told me that feeding them different things can harm their system.

If it was causing issues with them, I'd stop, but it seems to really work and its handy for me knowing that if we do run out of one thing, there's antoher in the cupboard for them to get, or when we go to people's houses overnight, they can have a kibble/complete so I don't freak them out with the raw.

What does everyone think? Not taht it really matters mind, its working so I'll stick with it, was just curious if anyone else does the same?

2. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

hmmm,

Jess is on wagg (i know its a crappy food, but its the only thing that keeps her 'regular and firm' ) we swap which flavour she gets and sometimes she gets a small amount of boiled chicken or scrambled egg mixed into it..just to vary it slighty. She also gets salmon oil added to her dinner (for her HD)

Kai however, being a fuss pot, is on a varied diet of CSJ, Skinners, Naturediet wet & WW wet, we like you have to swap and change most nights what he has...otherwise he doesnt eat. He also NEVER eats his breakfast, i could leave it down all day and he wouldnt touch it....! He looks fab, brilliant coat, no bad breath etc, and he is regular etc

3. greatdanes

greatdanes PetForums Member

demi has laughing dog biscuit, chicken&tripe and minced chicken, and loves it :)

4. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Rupert is on a pretty set/stable diet. Only reason I don't change with him is because he has varying issues and we have to try and keep tabs on what's changed in his environment and so if his food hasn't changed it means his problems aren't related to that area etc making it a fair bit easier to look at.

Otherwise I would probably mix and match a bit, its just for his issues that I don't. Going introduce some raw to him and for him personally I don't like the idea of him having raw and kibble and wet just because I have a sneaking suspicion one of them, probably the kibble, doesn't quite sit right with him anymore.

If he wasn't a bit iffy I doubt I'd care but I'm just really wary with him not to try and add to his problems which is partly why I want to try raw in case it helps.

But again compared with your Rupert I have an easy ride because I doubt mine would turn his nose up at anything, he's too greedy ;)

5. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

He is a pain in the arse and so not food orientated but yesterady he growles at Harvey when Harvey went for his food bown, normally he steps back and wanders off in an "i'm not interested mode".

So took that to be positive, and just moved them apart a bit more.

6. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

Mine have a mix, they have both wet and dry :)

Mornings they have Naturediet with Royal Canin
    Evenings they have Naturediet with Arden Grange.

I change the wet each month between Naturediet and Wainwrights.

7. henry

henry PetForums VIP

I do - Henry has Acana at the moment (will change the flavour when this bag's gone) and we also have some AG Sensitive. He also has Natures Harvest, Arden Grange Partners, Natures Menu, Naturediet, etc, at night. Different varieties. I like to give a varied diet - doesn't feel right (personally) feeding the same thing day-in, day-out - just my opinion.

8. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

I am one of those sad people who cooks the dogs food :eek:

She was varying so much with meals, and then we moved to raw but she hated it. We then went to applaws, which she loved, but it was so expensive. So at the beginning of the month I buy a load of meat (lamb shoulder, beef, chicken) plus fish (salmon, tuna, cod plus whatever else is on offer) and cook it up with some veg and a little brown rice. all the meat gets shredded before mixing. Then portion it up and freeze. Costs me about 75p a portion and luckily she now eats her meals when she has them. Won't eat biscuits though. Little horror is getting quite fussy!

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Mine get a mix of Arden Grange and Forthglade. I was using Natures Harvest, but Alfie didnt like it.

They also get a tine of sardines between them 3 times a week, and the odd bit of mince, sometimes a bone to chew on.

I always used to feed whatever was on offer tbh. Before i got the internet and learned the error of feeding poor quality food.

That said, my boys have had more digestive issues since settling on to one type of food, than they ever did when i swapped and changed all the time. Sadly, qaulity food that i can afford is few and far between, so im unable to do this now. I just give a different flavour of Forthglade each day.

They dont seem to care really.

10. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

We stick with Lily's Kitchen, wet and dry, fresh cooked meat and veggies, sometimes a little healthy table scraps, which they love :)

11. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

You know they say variety is the spice of life - obviously your's have heard it and agree, lol. ;)

Mine will eat anything that hits the floor, including hot potatoes that i've dropped from the oven - silly dogs! :rolleyes:

12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Mine is on all wet now.

I vary the brands WW and whatever zooplus has on offer. At the mo it's Lukullus.

She has raw chicken wings and fish kibble as treats. The occasional spoonful of yogurt, chunk of carrot and that's about it:D

13. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

We used to... Holly had a mixture of raw and skinners, but now she's generally on raw, or butchers.

14. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Variety is the spice of life ;) My dogs have a more varied diet than I do :rolleyes:

They're on BARF and kibble on alternate days.

On raw days they'll have the meat & bone obviously, veggies, the occasional raw egg, goats milk, natural yoghurt, fish oils etc.

Kibble days is just their kibble alone for breakfast (JWB for 3, Orijen for the other 2), and then kibble with something tasty mixed in for tea. The 'tasty' bit is generally wet food (Naturediet, Natures Menu, F4D salmon mousse, Applaws tins/pouches, Wainwrights etc), or some tinned fish.

Then they'll have a treat at lunchtime (some F4D jerky or a JWB crackerjack normally) and a biscuit at bedtime, which are the Feelwells Goodnight ones.

Result of a such a varied diet?! Perfectly healthy dogs with good digestions ;)

Couldn't bare for them to eat the same old thing, day in day out. Especially if that same old thing was just kibble :nono: Must be mind numbingly boring :eek:

15. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

to my mind you cant get a much more varied diet than raw feeding - my dogs have been on it about 3 weeks and we are really noticing the difference in them, shiny coats, minimal poos etc so variety is definitely the spice of life

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice