Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How many of you work with animals?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by K1nS, May 16, 2010.

1. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

Just as the title asks really. I work in a dead end job at the mo (burger king) but its getting me through the days for now. I have always wanted to work with animals but not quite sure what I wanna do!

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I've done a bit of volunteer dog walking when I had a car & when I lived abroad as a child, I'm now at college doing an Access course in Land-based Industry, next year I start a degree in Animal Science & Welfare:thumbup:

3. Zayna

Zayna PetForums VIP

Im in the same boat!! My job isnt exactly dead end but my heart just isnt in it!

I so want to work with animals!! Im going to look into being an animal welfare officer or something like that. We can help eachother make our minds up!!!:D

4. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I used to work in a cattery and also managed a pet supplies store once - not directly with animals but it was fun and i learnt SO much from it.

5. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

i do i work at a rescue centre

6. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

Do you enjoy it? I think I would like to do something like that

7. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I am doing an Animal Management course at the moment, it was a 2 year full time course and i've got about 9 weeks left now!

I do work experience in a Dog Groomers which is what I am going to do further training in after i've finished this course :) I love Dog Grooming, it's just so much fun and so rewarding to transform a dog from a stinking, matted, uncomfortable mess into being a neat, tidy and happier dog :)

I've also worked for a very well known 'cruelty prevention society' as a kennel assistant.

Being a kennel hand is not all the fun it sounds, trust me. 95% of the job is cleaning, 4% is feeding and 1% is actually working with the animals (thats what I found anyway)

I worked there for 6 months and never walked a single dog. The only time I had any contact with them was to give them medication, which just creates problems because they begin to associate humans with something bad happening to them. We were totally reliant on volunteers to do walking and some dogs did not get out of the kennel all week if they werent walked by volunteers or picked by a prospective owner.

I ended up going back to my old job (as a sales assisant in a department store) because I could not stand seeing what that place was doing to the animals.

As much as I support rescue, i'd never ever ever work in a kennel environment again. Particularly for that organisation.

8. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I work at a boarding kennels and cattery, I would say at ours its proberly 60% cleaning, and a hell of a lot of walking, lol, but it is the best job I've had! I love it. When you are on the 15th dog and your knackered, but you get one out thats hyper and its calm when you get back, then you forget all the others, and just keep going! Afternoons are the best bit, cos we get to spend all afternoon in the gardens with them, playing fetch or fussing them.

I used to to voluntary work at the RSPCA but where I was they tended to get the volunteers doing the jobs that others didnt want to do, while I got to spend time "hands on" with them, not nearly enough for the animals.

*Heidi*

9. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

yes i do,it`s alot of hard work.i1m lucky i thats i work for a centre that has a non-destruct policy.and we are pretty well staffed,so we get alot of time to spend with the animals both on and offsite.
    we also do basic training.
    we do have a few longtermers and for those that handle them its alot harder.I look after one and i am very attached to him.
    i could never work for a centre that has no time for the animals.
    the satisfaction of seeing an animal go to a new home is amazing.

10. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

i dont know but ive worked in 2 petshops ... one for 3 years which sold just coldwater fish and birds ... then i went to another one that i was there for 15 years ... which sold ... hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs, mice, chinchillas, birds , coldwaterfish , kittens and reptiles (and NO it wasnt pets at home )

11. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

Sounds good everyone, I so want to do something with animals! I know theres a career out their with my name on it :D Think I might see about doing vol work for my local rescue centre or the RSPCA and see where that takes me

12. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

my parents have owned a pet shop for about 15years and i have worked there unofficially since i was like 8 but officially for the last 3/4 years. we dont keep animals. i would like to get into working more hands on with dogs.
    i currently am a volunteer for the Dogs Trust, and hope to one day work for such an organisation, and maybe eventually have my own boarding kennels.

thats fairly terrible! you never walked a dog? where i volunteer, i think there are 20 or so dedicated canine carers, and as well as cleaning out kennels and doing all the admin stuff etc etc, they also walk the dogs! there are about 5 volunteers at a time, that come to walk teh dogs every day, but with around 80 or so dogs at times, everyone needs to help out!!
    how are the dogs supposed to trust people when they see a different face every day?

13. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Yep, it was crap! It really got me down! We got about 2 or 3 volunteers a day (if that) and they tend to walk the same dogs regularly so some dogs rarely got walked. And if there was a dog with problems such as stress related stereotypical behaviours (like spinning in the kennel, bouncing off the walls - literally) then the staff would not let volunteers walk it as it was seen as a 'problem dog' even though they were usually fine once they got out of the kennel because that was the whole reason they were getting stressed!!

The one I worked at had a very small amount of staff, we sometimes had over 20 dogs per one person, which means 20 kennels to clean front and back every day, so by the time you've finished cleaning, it's time to feed them and then by the time you've washed and dried all those bowls and gone on 'poo patrol' to keep kennels clean, you had no time left to walk them!

Volunteers were treated with such little respect that it often drove them away. I remember one woman I was working with ended up crying because of the way she was spoken to - one of the managers literally screamed at her for helping me with the ferrets (when all the other staff were too busy and I could NOT have done it alone) and then started yelling at me down my walkie talkie for it - so that every member of staff could hear it. And my walkie talkie didn't pick it up so I didnt even get to bloomin hear it!

The centre i was at has a bad reputation with a lot of animal people, and I now totally understand why.

14. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

we have problem dogs too. they are set out in 3 categories. Dog walker, Amber and Red.

obviously the dog walking dogs can get walked by any volunteer or member of staff. and the amber and red dogs can only be walked by staff. however most of them have specific members of staff who work with each dog as they may have aggression issues or trust issues, so they try to build a relationship with the dog. so a red dog maybe only has 1 or 2 people who can walk it, but it ALWAYS gets walked :)

defo sounds like your place was horrible!!

15. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Not with them as such, but my art work business is focussed on drawing animals, I do a lot of pet portraits, and working dog/animal commissions.

You have to really think about what you want to do, and how to market yourself if you need to, some marketing is worthwhile, and other times it's a waste of money. I do loads of events, and don't look to make more than the stand/stall price generally from sales on the day, it's what I get in commission work afterwards that gives me my main income. So where I take up these stalls/stands is very important, what can seem like a good venue may not turn out to be all that good, but, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I know a few people that do a lot of game fairs selling dog collars, leads, toys etc, etc, and do very well at them, although it's not their *main* income, it is an additional and pleasant earner for them. If you were going to look at something like dog walking, you might want to do a course if you feel you're not qualified or experienced enough, again, I've heard of a few people who have done this and really enjoy their work.

There are a lot of options, and although I LOVE my work, there are times when it is back breaking, soul destroying and heart breakingly hard. I get people rush up to my card stands only to mutter, 'I wanted something handmade' - so my designs that I have sent off to a professional printers aren't good enough! I also get those who look at the limited edition giclee prints of work I do, and equate it to printing off your printer at home, I could throttle them to be honest, but go through the effort of educating them.

Whatever you choose to do working with animals, you really do it for the love of having a job to do with animals, otherwise I don't think you'd put up with it for very long! :)

16. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

We do have dogs which the staff prefer only to walk, but there's no system like that at all, so if someone didn't know a dog had issues, they could easily make the mistake of giving an unsuitable dog to a volunteer.

It's definately not the best kennels in the world. The staff try their best and most of them do genuinely care about the animals but it's those above which create problems.

17. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

i'm a lazy student :p at college at the mo, studying National Diploma Animal Care, and currently baffled what i want to do. I have had work ex at Twycross Zoo and start two weeks work ex where I have a job, at the local Boarding Kennels. I WILL work in either a zoo or with dogs :)

18. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

i'm doing that course too :)

Isn't it great :D

19. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

id like to work sorta indirectly?? with animals - meaning in a vets but in the office - the management side of it :)

Im thinking of doing masters in something animal related instead of a physio degree as i dont think i will be able to afford the postgrad fees :( already emailed about 2 courses :D

oh and ETA - im a photographer too that does work directly with animals, however its not a full time career :)

20. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

it is pretty good, we have soooooooo many assignments atm though!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice