Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How Many Of You Use A Dog Harness

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JANICE199, Jun 27, 2009.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

In the car?
    I've never used one before and i'm thinking of buying both Mia and Kai a harness.Do the dogs have enough room to lay down and move about a little or are they restricted like we are when wearing a seat belt? :confused:

2. Savahl

Savahl Guest

i have one for buster, he has plenty of room to get comfy although does get him tangled sometimes :(

3. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Thankyou, so not realy a good idea for a long journey?Perhaps i'll stick to using their crate.:D:D

4. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ive thought the same thing, i have seen a picture/advertisment for one a while ago and the dog looked like it was sat in the seat, didnt look like it would be able to move around much which is i suppose is what the harness is meant to do. Mine are in the boot i have a hatch back so loads of room, contained but are able to move around sit or lay.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive used them on my boys on the few occassions they've been in a car. They were both able to sit, lie down, and get comfy. The problem came when they tried to swap sides.

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Mine do have harnesses but I prefer to put them in the boot in crates. We took William my greyhound to Great Yarmouth on the back seat wearing a harness. Due to traffic problems it took us about 6 hours to get there. He was fine and seemed to prefer to be on the seat than in the boot.

My setter Zoe can take a harness of in about 2 seconds so she has to be crated abd some of the whippets have discovered that if you stand on the seat belt fastener they can unclip themselves.

7. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Thankyou all for your replies.As its going to be a 6hour journey i think it will be best to crate them, which is what i did last time.:D:D

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I tried one for Dixie, she got tangled up and I'm sure she did it on purpose.
    Both my dogs prefer to sit on the floor, Dave starts off in the boot... We don't have a dog guard yet, but he just lies down anyway. But if we stop and leave him in the car, he waits til we can't see him, then he is on my oh seat! But quickly gets in the back and lies behind my oh seat.
    We are supposed to be getting a crate off a friend, ours don't fit!

xx

9. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Mine are in the boot, not crated the elder one and our first dog got the balancing idea very quickly, but the pup now 11 months didnt quite as quick and did think we might have to get a crate, but she has got the hang now thankfully, as we couldnt have got a crate in and enough room for harvey out of the crate with room to move around.

10. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Mine have harnesses mostly because its hard to fit the crate needed for a 60 something lb collie/husky mix in a car and have room for anything else let alone 2 other crates. They do fine in them and yes they do occasionally get tangled but its easily enough fixed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice