Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How many of you tie your dogs up when you go into a shop?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ad_1980, Jun 27, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I just wondered if you do - i've only ever done it once with Woody and i felt competely awful about it after that i've never done it again. I wanted to take mika to the shops when i was only going for a minute but then i didnt really want to tie him up...wonder if shopkeepers allow dogs in if you carry them in?

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I don't. Simply because I don't trust her enough, she's still only a pup and anything could happen. The OH attempted to tie her up once but she went crazy so now I stand outside with her, which is just as well because children (and adults!) are always trying to come up to her to smooth her without asking :rolleyes:

3. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I never take my dogs to the shops as I wouldn't dare to tie them up outside. There have been a lot of whippet thefts recently so I would never leave them some were were I can't see them. Even when we are at shows there is always someone around we know who will watch them whilst you goto the loo. They are crated at shows but you never know.

4. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

No way.It would only take a second for someone to steal them.I would never take a chance like that.
    If I go shopping the dogs stay at home.

5. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

Nope never ever, takes one second to steal a dog like that, as mentioned.
    My friend left her collie outside and it was gone, she freaked out like mad, luckily it was a guy she knew that took him round the corner as a joke.
    Not funny i know! :mad:
    I think that rule only applies to young puppies and guide dogs or service dogs, i don't think any dog can go in.

6. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

No way would I tie my dogs outside, you never know what can happen in a minute or 2. I would probably trust my dogs - it's people and other dogs that could be the problem.

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

When Sky was a pup and too young to be walked Spar allowed me to bring her in. They absolutely adored her and always come outside to say hello now when we're there :)

But you're right, it would be very easy to snatch a dog. I live in a large town but my neighbourhood is quite small and I am the only one with a black gsd. I couldn't bear it if she was stolen :(

8. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

i have left mine when i pop into the newsagent (to buy the paper) but i can see her at all times.

9. ~Tete

~Tete PetForums Member

I dont, in our area dogs are always being taken from that situation, i simply dont take her to shops

10. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I'd be far too scared of someone trying to steel my dog! Dog theft is common round here. If we look after my OH's mum's dog i don't even like leaving him in the car alone

11. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

We used to tie Cheeko up outside shops but I could never do it now I just don't trust anyone walking by they could easily take him. The shops here let dogs in if your a regular or if they are small enough you can carry them but it's hard enough lifting Cheeko from the floor to the bath never mind round a shop!

12. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i have never tied mine outside the shop, when we were younger my brother tied our rough collie outside and forgot, when he got home we was all sitting there and mum said ,wheres the dogs, we all started to look then he remembered he took her to the shop, he rushed back to the shop and she was still tied up outside,:eek:

13. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Never. too many go missing round here:(

14. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

i will on, the very odd occasion, if i need to go to local shop before i have taken bracken for his morning walk. i can tie him outside shop but luckier i can see him.

15. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

we live in a little village and if I am walking Sabre and just need a loaf of bread or summin then he gets tied outside, I am always very quick and the shop keeper knows us so keeps an eye out anyway. I would never take him into the local town and do it.
    There was a GSD tied up outside a shop the other day in town but I dont think anyone would have tried taking that one as it was wearing a muzzle and barking :eek:

*Heidi*

16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have never done it but it is very common round here, even outside the supermarkets. In the days before dogs were banned from every shop I would take my dogs shopping with me (not food shopping) and lay them down in a corner of the shop while I was choosing things.

17. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Never. I'd never take the risk that he may be stolen even though I only live in a small village.

18. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

nether have nether will

19. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Never done it myself, but did remove one that was tied up..... long story tho and very funny!

20. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

No because too many get stolen and even if mine are mutts Sophie's mix makes her very desirable. Someone used to leave a very dog aggressive bichon outside a shop not tied up and then complain if it went for a big dog something about our dogs attacking it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice