UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm feeling a little disheartened today. I've been trying to get my mice tame. I've got to the point where they will clamber out of the open cage into their play pen (paddling pool) and run about and even chew my socks, but they hate being picked up and will do anything to avoid it.

I think it may just be a result of having a group of six (females). They are having so much fun, they just don't want to be picked up. But they are the same in the cage. If my hand goes in to top up the food bowl or something, they scuttle away and hide.

I would love to know your experience of keeping groups of different sizes and how they behaved. Thanks!

G

·
I've only ever had boys here but I've never had a problem with hand taming them.
I'm getting a group of girls soon so I guess I'll find out if there is much difference between the two sexes :tongue_smilie:

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've got 5 mice - 2 girls and 3 lone boys.

I cannot handle the girls or their brother Nibbler as they were an accidental litter and i was terrified of handling them after their sister pinged out of my hand and went missing for days and it put me off so they never became hand tame which i accept. Since i've put the girls in the bar cage rather than a tank they seem a lot friendlier and will accept treats and bedding from me and don't run away and hide when i open the cage or take the food bowl they stay close. I do have 1 male Jingle who is okay with being handled as he was bullied as a baby and loved coming to sit in my hand to get away from it (It was when i was doing intros and thought he was a girl). I'd say just keep doing what you're doing and hopefully they will learn to trust you more:)

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have 3 single male brothers and their 1/2 sister, all in their own cages. Im afraid I am a mouse bully:eek: if I want to handle a mouse then I will handle it no matter how long it takes me:eek:
Mice dont like you coming at them from above as it scares them so I prefer to take the top part of the cage off and let them come to me, if they dont I pick up whatever box/tube/house they happen to be in and let them come out onto my hand from there.
Lily the lone female is still shy but shes getting better,Dexter is quite a sensitive soul and takes a little while to trust me each time I handle him but hes getting there.:)

Oh and before anyone comments on Lily, I am trying to find her company, just not that easy as there doesnt seem to be any female mice where I live:(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both!
i've heard that bucks are a lot friendlier than does.
They are in a barred cage. Guess I just have to keep going, but I do think if i only had 2 or 3 mice it would be easier. but they are such fun to watch :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would def keep going, if you have time try to handle them in pairs or trios, so spend an hour with the first group of 3 and an hour with the 2nd group. The more you do the easier it will get and you will find a routine and way of doing it;)
Failing that, send me a few females for Lily:p

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol noooo! i love them, they are staying with me!
Is it ok to separate them like that?
The problem I've got is catching them - I can't catch them without a chase, which makes them even more wary of my hands. As soon as they see my hands coming, they bolt. So I can't scoop them - and they've got wise to the loo roll trick! When I do have them in my hands, they wriggle like crazy and jump free.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You said you had a pool they go into? Can you sit in the middle of that and let them play around you? Their little noses will get the better of them and they will start to climb onto you:) Do they have a house you can pick them up in and place in a carrier?

·
Banned
5,524 Posts
at first i had one mouse on her own (in my defence i didnt know they could live in a group) as soon as i discovered they could i got 2 more

sadly the original died, not wanting to ever leave a mouse alone again i went and got 4

so we currently have 6, all girls

it has taken a while to tame them, at first they wouldnt come out of their hut if the lid was off and they would run away if i put my hand anywhere near the cage

although they dont all like being picked up (sometimes they just dont want to be picked up) i can at least stroke them now

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
Ahhh yes something I have experience with. I now have 52 mice split into 1 group of 13 girls, one group of 8 girls, a group of four girls and ten babies, three groups of four boys, 4 single boys and one single girl. All my girls are less friendly than the boys, always have been barring a couple I got from Yorkshire_Rose, one in particular bless her! Obviously with all the mums and babies I was loathed to break up the groups, but 25 girls was hard to watch individually so I split the group. I have three friendlier girls, though to be honest I think they are just braver! However the boys are better. One thing I have found is my agouti boys and girls are more scared...and faster! But a few of the boys are very friendly.

My most friendly boy is Nicholas is on his own. Though I may have found some multi baby females so might not be for long. But I have a single girl, agouti, who, despite a lot of work on my part, will not come near me. She was born wild and just can't settle down. I tried her in with my other girls but she was attacked. I am going to try her in with my babies (not latest lot) but she is not happy with me.

Generally speaking it is boys who have been most friendly. Cassius (one of my first ever mice) would just plonk himself in my hand. It just depends on the individual though. Don't be disheartened though...you can't control the personality of the mouse.

Reactions: polishrose

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
good god :eek: :crazy:

how do you cope with that many? i get warn our with my 6 lol
Haha to be honest I don't know. I am constantly worn out. Oh and I go through a 1kg bag a day of food. So yeah is an expensive passion :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all SO much!

I suppose I was somehow thinking that if you have a bigger group, maybe they retain more of their wild-mouseyness and are more likely to run away from a human!
But the overall impression I'm getting is that a super-tame female mouse in an exception and I'm not doing too badly with mine so far :D

And Niki87 - HOW???!! lol

I was out last night so the mice didn't get playtime, so hopefully they will be extra pleased to see me tonight and I'm going to wear that wooly jumper with the bat sleeves and see if they like climbing on it.

When I was a kid, I had a lone male guinea-oink, and then two sisters, and the male was definitely friendlier. All very interesting!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.