Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How many meals

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by smegs1978, Jul 31, 2009.

1. smegs1978

smegs1978 PetForums Junior

Hello all,

As you may or may not know, Barney is a rescue pup and therefore we have no idea how old he is. The RSPCA said 8 to 12 weeks. I have looked at his teeth and they are farely small, however i don't know how big they are going to grow.

The RSPCA suggested feeding him 4 meals a day, which we did for the first 3 days but the last meal was making him really bloated and restless before going to bed. So we dropped to 3, but now he seems to have gone a bit scrawney again, so should i try the 4th meal again or feed a bit more at the 3 meals.

I didn't think i would need to ask so many questions about him.

2. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

you could take him to the vet, maybe the vet can work out how old he is and establish how much you should really feed him or in this case how many times you should feed him.

3. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Could be his got taller, that make's them look skinny till they fill out again, If his hungry up his food abit

4. smegs1978

Yes that might be a good idea, i've got to take him as he has got really dry skin that is really irritating him. So do both things together.

5. trabonita

trabonita PetForums Member

When you dropped to three meals you should have still been feeding the same amount but just in three meals rather than four so they would have been slightly more in each meal. Obviously as he gets older you will need to increase the amount of food in line with his weight. I don't think seeing the vet will help as your pup wpuld have seen a vet at the rescue centre, all they will do is estimate an age again. There should be guidelines on the package of food, I would weigh him and go roughly by them, also pups are quite scrawny when they start growing, I would go by how hungry he is!

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

hi hon did you get advice from the vet then?

7. smegs1978

I took him on Tuesday and he thought he was about 12 weeks, but i forgot to ask about the amount of meals, i have have kept his meals to 3, and am giving him 1 tin of wet food mixed with his biscults, going to see how he gets on with this for a week.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice