Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how many lessons did it take you

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by redroses2106, Jan 25, 2012.

1. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

im currently learning to drive and i am doing pretty well, im about to have my fourth lesson im hoping 10 lessons will be enough (proffessional ones anyway, my dad also takes me out once a week)

but just wondering how many lessons it took people here to pass?

2. Iluvmypets

Iluvmypets PetForums Member

I passed on my fourth :( Not because I'm stoopid (shurrup I can hear you at the back there!) but for some reason I can't *do* exams of any kind... I drove round on my tests with my elbows locked and my arms out front stiff with fright.

And yet... I kid you not, I have never had an accident in 30 years of driving :D

3. Mophie

Mophie PetForums Senior

Errm I had a fair few about 25-30, the first 10 were with another instructor who was a muppet but they bought for me so I couldn't stop using him until the tenth lesson. My second instructor was awesome she gets recommended by me still to people who live near my parents she's amazing and most of my lessons with her were an hour and half to two hours. I took a long time to pass but passed first time :eek:

4. Izzie

Izzie PetForums Senior

I had 10 lessons the first time, but hated my instructor and didn't take my test. I gave up for a couple of years and needed a further 10 lessons, but my mum also took me out a few times too.

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

About 17 lessons for the car test, and five day course for bike test. Passed both first time, and both times I thought I'd failed, which took the pressure off :D

6. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

God knows I lost count.:eek::eek::eek::eek::blush::blush::blush:

7. redroses2106

awhh at least you passed :) some people just clam up at tests and exams

the whole reason im asking is i want to move away just a couple hours away from where i live now and find a job there, theres nothing here and figured if i could drive it would make it easier than having to figure all the bus routes and find my way around a new place.

8. Iluvmypets

I think if you have a motor bike first you have a better chance of passing, because you know how to read the traffic already. Just my opinion and I could be talking out my @rse as per usual. :D

9. DT

DT Banned

I had ten ! BUT they tell me it was a lot easier then then it is now!
    Good luck!
    And don't beat yourself up if it takes more then the catered for!

10. Iluvmypets

Well keep on going because it is brilliant having your freedom and you will NEVER look back or regret doing it.

11. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

The DSA average for a manual car is 40 hours plus private practice. Are you talking ten lessons or ten hours? I think you are being far too optimistic, no matter how good you are (and some are just born drivers). There is an awful lot to learn, and if you have a good instructor he/she will construct a plan so that you can move on and progress naturally from one step to the other.

This really cannot be achieved in ten hours, or even twenty I would have thought.

12. xhuskyloverx

xhuskyloverx PetForums VIP

I'm not sure how many lessons I did, but I did one a week for about 8 months. But I didn't have any private practice, just my lesson time. I passed first time (only last week).

13. redroses2106

wow thats alot, i was getting lessons from my dad for about 6months before i plucked up the courage to book some so ive got the basics all covered. but if it takes 40 then thats what it takes i may just be being cocky :p

congrats on passing your test :D

14. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

18 one hour lessons and passed the test first time :D i did two one hour lessons a week which i'm sure helped. I don't get doing a 2 hours in one lesson as i know some people do as if your having a crap day/lesson it's crap for 2 hours :lol: That was 8 years ago, i was 21 :)

Good luck.

15. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I doubt it. There is nothing wrong with knowing you are good at something, it is when you think you are but are not that the trouble starts. What does your instructor think? That is the main question.

Practice with your dad, so long as he isn't telling you anything different, will build up your confidence because you know he can't stop the car, and once you have the basics mastered, it is confidence that you need. Also planning ahead is the one thing people don't think about. They get all their basic stuff sorted and forget to see everything and anticipate what is up there before they get on top of it.

The quickest anyone has learned with me in a manual car was 20 hours with no private practice, but he was a natural born driver. There are not many of them, but that is not to say you are not one of the rare few.

Good luck with it, anyway.

16. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Bear in mind it was a long time ago but someone I went to school with had one lesson and passed on their 17th birthday! He had been driving on his parents farm since he was 12, mainly tractors as well :eek:

17. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Hubby did 16 I think he passed first time with four minors! He doesn't exam well normally he started in August and passed in may

18. DT

DT Banned

My partner never had a lesson, worked at a garage (obiously out of school) then went on to an apprentiship took his test at 17 and passed first time!

So me passing first time aftern ten lessons had no glory in his eyes!

19. DT

DT Banned

Just to add, I never took my test in a driving school car, I did it in my own, (old min 74 plate I think!i) When the instructer got in I said - do you want the heater on (it was January) he said I didn't know cars this old had heaters!:eek:

20. Gilly and Jess

Gilly and Jess PetForums Senior

23 lessons and me test here, no private learning, just 2 hours a week with an instructor. Passed first time. :)

£8 a lesson when I learned mind, bliddy £18 or more now!! :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice