Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How many is too many?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pets_R_Me:), Mar 28, 2011.

1. Pets_R_Me:)

Pets_R_Me:) Guest

Hey guys,

Looking for thoughts! Is having 3 dogs too much? I have a lot of pets (see sig) but keep seeing sad faces looking at me via rescue websites and my heart tells me to rehome another but my head is being all responsible!!!

A little bit about me:
    I work in a dog day care, boarding kennels and training centre. My dogs come to work with me everyday. I am starting a FdSc Canine Studies course in September. I help out on a livery yard two mornings a week, but am free to cut the time I go if necessary. So basically, I have assistance and day care for the dogs, time and I would assume money - as if I got a dog it would be a small to medium breed which won't raise my food bills too much.

So,what do you all think?

2. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

The food bill is an issue because going from one to two, in effect it doubles as you're using twice as much. Even more if its a bigger dog, as we're now finding out.

But as you've already got 2, it'll add a third, but then there's other expenses. Vets bills as well, can you afford 3 lots of insurance/3 lots of excess should something go wrong? 3 lots of prescriptions, 3 lots of flea treatment, wormer etc?

For me, I'd never have more than 2 because I can't afford it. I'd panic about what if all 3 got hurt at the same time, and then there's also the fees for me to get someone to look after them all if we're away.

But if you can afford it, you have the time and space then who's got the right to tell you otherwise? I always said if I had the money and space I'd have a pack full!!! ;)

3. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I think you have answered it yourself in the main, the only other considerations are vet bills/insurance and what would happen if you had to go away i.e if family/friend looks after yours at the moment would they be OK with three or would the extra kennelling costs be an issue.
    What exactly is your head telling you?
    The heart bit is easy to guess....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

4. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

We've just got our 3rd sibe, and currently she's been easier to settle in that grey was (grey was our 2nd) its only her 2nd day though.

I think if you can afford it, have the time for 3 and are capable of walking 3 dogs then go for it :)

5. Pets_R_Me:)

When on holiday they stay at work (and I don't pay for it), so no worries there.

My head is telling me that I need to stop getting animals!! But I rarely listen to my head ;)

6. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Sounds like thats sorted then.....watcha gonna be gettin and when ....:D

7. Pets_R_Me:)

Haha, I have the small issue of my mum to get round first ;) I moved back in with her last year to allow me to go to uni etc. so I need her permission! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice