Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How many is too many?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mandy658, Jun 24, 2010.

1. mandy658

mandy658 PetForums Junior

Well I have 2 dogs and when I mentioned to a friend that I was thinking of getting another they said 2 is too many dogs, how many dogs do you have? And how many do you think is too many?

2. crazybones

crazybones PetForums VIP

i think as long as they all get looked after and walked as well as time and attention then its completely up to you lol

3. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

I have 19 and and a litter of 5 atm which will be keeping two from and dad is also buying a new springer bitch. We have kennels and i think as long as the dog is well cared for and well stimulated and trained then there is no reason you shouldn't get another...I can't remember the time when we only had 3 dogs :eek:

4. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I started off with one, then 2 years later had another so he'd have a bit of canine company at night. It wasn't long after that no.3 came along. Last year we had a litter and kept one back making it 4 and earlier this year we bought another so now have 5.

It can be a bit tricky taking them all for walks together but we're 2 adults and one almost teenager we manage to do the length of the beach and back most nights. Sometimes we take 2 or 3 at a time to the playing fields and give them a good offlead run around for an hour. The two youngest also go to ringcraft most weeks but sometimes we take one of the adults so they all get a go.

Feeding is easy, they all line up and munch out of their own bowls with no arguments over who's got more lol

Here they are waiting patiently for a treat which is on the floor in front of them :D

Attached Files:

5. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

One at the mo, currently searching for a playmate (mally) and hopefully a year or so after that another chihuahua :thumbup:

Most dogs ive had at one time was 5, i loved it! :D

Most of my family think im mental having 1 dog never mind adding to it, but at the end of the day i pay for them and care for them so they can bugger off :p

6. pika

pika PetForums VIP

I have 1 coming in 6 days time and a half. Half because she's only half mine and spends half her time here.

Next year we may get another dog which would make 2 and a 1/2 :lol:

I think if you can cope with another go for it, its only too many if you can't love them all, spend time with them all and cope with them all :thumbup:

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I have 3 and that's my limit.

8. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

I have three, and that is also my limit. 2 of mine are really energetic, so i couldn't cope with another really energetic dog.

9. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

I have 5 and may have one more next year just have to wait and see lol

10. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

I have three Border Collies ... I find them very easy to look after , train and keep entertained
    I'd love to add to my pack one day :thumbup:

11. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

It's only too many when you can't look after them properly :)

Most people think i'm crazy for having 4 very active terriers.

But they are very easy to look after and they always have each other to play with so never get bored :)

12. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I have two at the moment, and space for a third, but we're keeping that open for fostering. We can't afford more than that, and there certainly isn't space in our house, BUT if you have the space and the money to care for the dogs, and the love to go around, then what does it matter how many you have? All of them would be healthy and happy and loved! :thumbup:

13. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

We have 3 and a dog we are fostering who is looking for a home (JRT) if we could keep him we would, but the landlord has set the limit to 2 dogs and we just got away with 3 so we can't really push it. If we could have more...we would!! As long as you feel you are in the position to have another dog, bearing in mind you have to look after that dog for the rest of its life, and you can fit that dog into your lifestyle, then go for it!! All the best xxx

14. mandy658

mandy658 PetForums Junior

I don't see the problem either as long as you have the time, love and money, my OH has said we can get another when we move out. I just have a never ending wish list of dogs!!

15. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

When i move i will have lots more, no more kids for me just lot of dogs lol

16. daisy34

daisy34 PetForums Member

We have two adult dogs and a puppy, we originally had just one dog but felt that he was lonely being the only dog in our pack so now we have three, ive fostered for a dog rescue and had 8 dogs overninght once, it was hilarious doing a head count at the door to the garden!! :lol::lol: Lovely to watch them play together!
    If I won the lottery I would have as many dogs as I could and all day to devote to them which would be heaven!! Ive already got my 'wish list' just in case!

I think (as everyone has said) as long as you have the time to walk, love and train them properly its up to you how many you have, ive met people who think im bonkers for having 3 or 4 busy terriers when out, yet I would be lost with one dog I think.

17. cavmad

cavmad PetForums VIP

As long as you have the time to exerice them and look after them properly i dont think it matters. I have 12 at the moment which is hard work but most are over 10yrs and x puppy farm bitches. All they want to do is sleep on the sofa and eat. I am lucky as i have over an acre of paddock that i make the cavs run in every day. The younger ones go to the park every day.I will not add any more until the numbers go down which i hope wont be for ages. It would be easier to have a number that i can take with me when i go to flyball show instead of having to find someone to look after the ones i cant take.

18. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

We've got 2 which i thought was quite normal, but when we first got them we had a few people question why we'd want 2 large dogs as surely 1 was enough:confused:. I'd like about 4 greyhounds in the future, but at the moment we can't afford any more, there's not the space in the car and having just the 2 makes things more convenient as we can take them with us for trips away.

My friend had 9 (4 terriers & 5 greys) up till recently and another lady i know has 8 greys that all live indoors, it seems a lot to me but i wouldn't say its too many as the dogs get all their needs met so i think it very much depends on the individual and their situation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice