Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How many fish to my tank

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by tillymaud, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Fishyfins

Fishyfins PetForums Member

Pleccy is right, a cycle in 6 hours may well work in a few cases, but such methods will always be frought with dangers, and are certainly not for beginners. ive been keeping fish for 12 years, and even i wouldnt risk it!

the thing you have to remember is that what makes aquariums work (or the filters at least) is bacteria! and bacteria has a growth rate, which cannot usually be sped up to that extent, not when it would normally take 6 weeks under average conditions! im sorry, but basic biology and chemistry is against you. i dont know what you did, but i honestly wouldnt trust it in the long run.

2. AngusChild

AngusChild PetForums Junior

The Guy in the shop had 6 very ill discus and he did this method and all 6 £125 fish survived. Your going to have to accept that this way does work.

3. AngusChild

AngusChild PetForums Junior

4. mattstringfellow

mattstringfellow PetForums Junior

i never advised to the begined i said that it is a way of doing it! and plus you didn't just add the bactiria there are other bactiria too whitch kills and toxins that will kill the fish and it pre-cycles your tank whitch means that the amonnia and NO2 spike will not be as high and there is less chance of loosing fish, but everyone has their own opinion.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Can we keep this on topic please.

If you wish to discuss/debate the nitrogen cycle, then please make another thread.

6. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

I don't really have to accept anything, having studied biology at IGCSE level and achieving an A* in the exam (now studying it at A-level) I could say that I have a good understanding of the nitrogen cycle, not that I'm trying to be a belligerent big-head. It is the opnion of myself and probably every other reputable fishkeeper that fishless cycling should not be rushed, you can of course do it your way, however I couldn't recommend it myself. Even a week would be better than six hours.

I do apologize if I sound abrupt, however that's just the way I think...

Again, I don't believe in the use of 'cycling products' and 'bacterial cultures', apart from cross-seeding new filter media with media that is already biologically active.

I concur, I'm sure we could create another thread and divulge some facts and opinions on the subject in a healthy debate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice