Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How many dogs.......

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ditsy42, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

Would you have?

For me personally, 5 would be my limit for my chosen breed in a normal sized family home, I have 2 at the moment and keeping a bitch from the litter, so going up to 3, OH said that's enough for us and have to agree with him.

I know a few peeps in our breed who have a HUGE number of dogs in relatively small houses and IMO I don't agree with this, how can you give them the best, excercise them, train them etc etc, unless u r lucky enough to have kennels and land,, not to mention the toilet stuff to pick up, my two produce enough of that on their own lol :D

I know of a couple who are now up to around 16 Rotts, 5 of them r pups they kept from same litter,:nono: I find this really shocking, but nobody says nowt about it as they have owned the breed for a number of years, nobody will have a word said agianst them, even though they know, now wait for it, they live in a one bed ex miners bungalow :eek: no room for all the dogs to roam or even stretch out, how can they excercise all of those dogs and train all them pups to a satisfactory standard, more than a full time job, kinda boils my pi$$ to an extent if i'm honest, but suppose it's their choice, I just find it a shocking situation?

2. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

Wow! That's an insane amount to have, especially in one bed!! It drives me nuts the way certain people can not have a word said against them simply because they have been in the fancy for a while.

I don't have a dog yet!! However, purely guessing, I cannot imagine I could handle more than two. That's partly because I like big breeds though :)

3. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

Yep and they r 2 women as well, none of the young bitches r spayed and the dogs are entire, how the hell they manage that is beyond me, I know what 2 intact males can b like when bitch on heat :rolleyes::

Yeah I suppose it depends on breed, u oculd have 16 small dogs I suppose, but still same situation re excercise and all

4. beary_clairey

beary_clairey PetForums VIP

3 - but my hubby won't let me get number 3.

He says 2 are enough!!! Boooooooooo!!!:p

5. 6-7 although I have space for more. I guess that many because I plan to keep 1-2 back from Alaska's first litter.

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I have 3...and am def getting a 4th in a few years. I would go to 6 but then they would all be very small toy breeds...
    Max I would ever have I think would be 8. Then only if I lived in a big house with big garden. Mainly coz that would be 2 lots of seperate walks and I wouldnt want to be bothered with more then that!:eek:

Some people just dont seem to regard walking as necessary though and will quite happily have tons of dogs just stuck in their house and garden..:(

7. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

We have three and are planning on going up to four :D
    We do have space and time, but think this will be my limit! :D i hate odd numbers ;) :D

8. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i think i could happily cope with 3, but 4 would be my absolute limit.

9. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I think we could handle 3, but I'm happy with my two, and it means when we're in a position to foster, we'll have space- though that won't be for a few more months.

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

What is so scary about really tiny breeds is that going from 1 to 2 to 3 I really have noticed no difference in care, effort or expense!!:eek:

11. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

I have 4 dogs at the moment and can't see myself ever going above this number unless I won the lottery, had a bigger house and did not need to work:D

Even then, I don't think I would have more than 5-6.

12. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Keyusha will be our 3rd and last until one of them leaves us. I am the main carer of the dogs and do the bulk of the walking, i dont think i could handle any more than 3 sibes!

If we did get a 4th i think it would be something a bit easier,more biddable, i'd like a staffy :)

13. SixStar

SixStar Banned

6 is probably my limit, I've got 5 at the moment, so there is still a space left for another rescue dog, should one steal my heart.

I live in the countryside- rural and no neighbours. I couldn't imagine having more than 2 or 3 at the very most in a town or estate.

14. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

2 at the moment as we have no garden but I wod if we had a large garden have upto 4 I think 2 would be large breeds the other two smaller I think

15. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I struggle to keep on top of Bella and Henricks antics, I cant imagine being able to cope with more than 2. Before Bella came alone I said I would never have more than 1 at a time, Im glad Ive got two now though, they amuse each other so much.

16. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Only have 1 now, but would love all 4 cavalier colours :)

17. Believe it or not apart from double the poo and double the food its not that hard. Mine walk 2 each and brace very well. Surely you have room for more GSD's...*nudge nudge* :tongue_smilie:

18. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I suppose I could fit one more in, but I would have to rehome the kids ;).

19. Pets2luv.webs.com

Pets2luv.webs.com PetForums VIP

I am very likely going to get a black and tan cavalier just waiting for the right one. Must be patient! :tongue_smilie: ;)

20. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

6 maybe not sure I could ever cope with 16 especially big ones in a small house :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice