Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How many dogs do you have with your cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jaycee05, Oct 14, 2013.

1. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Just a query really, someone has asked about having a kitten, now I know they are fine with dogs, but this lady has 6 ,biggish dogs, so a bit hesitant

2. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

I've had kittens with 2 Labs before

I'm a bit undecided TBH - even if you just have 1 dog, there has to be somewhere for the kitten to escape to / feel safe etc so I guess "technically" the number doesn't matter (and it was fine with the 2 dogs)

However, I'd be worried that the kitten would get cornered or be running from a couple of the dogs and then run into another before being able to get to the safe place (does that make sense?)

I think there may also be a big difference between having say 6 smallish dogs than 6 big ones - I feel that it might just be too intimidating for a wee kitten (especially if there's just the one)

Has she said how she would keep the kitten safe?

3. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

None at the moment ... I have had labs and GS with my other cats all fine , they mothered them all the time ... Depends on the breed and there nature

My parents have French bull dogs and they are lovely but I would not trust them around my cats ...

4. thatsafunnylookingcat

thatsafunnylookingcat PetForums Senior

What breed/breeds are the dogs? I think in this sort of situation you need to judge it entirely on the individual and the dogs. If they are 6 dogs that are the sort to chase, or get rough with play etc then no... but if they are obedient, calm and well looked after and her house is big enough to accommodate them all then I don't see why not, provided the cat has somewhere quite to go that is dog free.
    Have the dogs ever met cats before? If they aren't used to cats at all I'd probably say no. If one dog made a sudden move towards the cat and the cat ran away, the other dogs would naturally copy and "join in". It's a problem when you get a lot of dogs together, they encourage each other.

5. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

I think it would be too much for a tiny kitten, [well 16 weeks old] but tiny compared to 2 Dalmations and a couple of spaniels and at least 1 afghan hound, cant remember what the other dog is. I think I am going to refuse, she wants a sphynx next, so might be an animal collector,
    The lady sounded ok, and said she makes sure they are all looked after,kept up with vaccines etc, she said she would keep a gate between them, but not sure, I would worry, she said next doors cat goes in and the dogs are fine with it

#5 jaycee05, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  6. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 PetForums VIP

i have three dogs and one cat. the only time the dogs have access to tigger is when we are out as two of them have free run of the house then apart from my bedroom. that is fastened by a chain through which tigger can come and go as he pleases but the dogs can't get in :)

7. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I have three of each (cats and dogs)

I don't think I could introduce a kitten now because of one of my dogs. My adult cats are savvy to her antics but I'm not sure I'd risk her with a fragile kitten. My other two would be fine though. I agree that it depends on the dogs but yes I would find introducing a kitten to 6 dogs potentially worrying.

8. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Some of them are gun dogs, they live in the country, sound like country folk, she has 3 sons that live with her, all adults
    Anyway she hasn't rung back yet[ I had to go out as I had a Drs appointment, so apologised, she said she would ring back tonight, if she doesn't I wont have to make a decision, lol, but will have to give it a lot of tjought, I cant bear the kitten to be frightened, and I;m sure it will be,[wouldn't you, faced witj 6 huge animals 20 times your size:eek:

9. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

i have two dogs (a large labrador x and a cavalier x bischon). i did have a lurcher but she passed away a couple of years ago. my dogs live happily alongside my 14 cats and Flossy and her kittens (these are rescues being rehomed).

10. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

Until August this year we had 1 bullmastiff, 2 mini dakkies and a saluki x pup.

The bullmastiff is great with cats she knows and wouldn't be a problem with a kitten once she was introduced to it properly. The saluki has learned the hard way to be respectful to siamese cats cos they have all told her off well.

1 mini dakkie would make a friend out of a kitten and would be happy to sleep with it in his bed...the dakkie who died in August would have a kitten dead in a heartbeat.

I don't think there is a hardfast rule.....depends on the dog.

I wouldn't have contemplated having a kitten whilst the dakkie was alive and the indoor cats all came as adults for that reason.

I know what my own dogs are likely to do...don't know if I would rehome a kitten to a house with dogs though

11. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

I also think you need to know if the dogs have been used to living with cats as that could make a huge difference

Ben was brought up with cats (one of the reasons I said I'd take him) and he totally ignored them until they went to him (and was fine then, I'll add) and he was almost like a surrogate mum to Mia when she arrived :)

Maisie was supposedly used to cats but I think the cats must've been outside ones as she chased mine when she arrived :eek: She's fine now (and Mia would snuggle up to her too:)) but it was a difficult first few weeks!

12. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

It wouldn't be so bad if I could see what the dogs were like, but they are used to next doors cat, but if anything happened to this kitten,[although I probably wouldn't know] I would never forgive myself,

13. rose

rose PetForums VIP

I had 2 biggish dogs once who were lovely, not at all aggressive lived with kids and cats. We also had a rabbit and one day although they were fine with it they must have decided to play chase and both grabbed it and almost took his leg off tugging on it between then like a toy :mad:. I took him to the vets who PTS as the leg was too damaged and as it was a back leg would have unfair to amputate it. I would worry about that happening to a kitten with a pack of dogs. Seems strange to have told you if you would not have found out she had 6 dogs.

14. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

We have two spotty dogs who have been used to cats from day one & are bottom of the pecking order :D but when we got Louie then Tango they met them from the safety of a dog crate so they could get used to two large spotty cats stomping around the place ;)

If the dogs have been brought up around cats I cant see a problem :)

15. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

We have 3 dogs and 8 cats. Until recently we had 4 dogs and really the dog we lost was the reason 2 of the cats are here as he loved them so much. Our now oldest corgi has been like a mother to all our kittens--he even found some abandoned ones and rescued them from a ditch so I could bring them home. They were all of 5 weeks old and he was as gentle as a lamb with them, cleaning them and letting them eat out of his bowl (he's a little food possessive otherwise, but around kittens, anything they do is fine with him). The other two, a corgi and a beagle x lab x ?? have all been wonderful with the kittens and cats, even allowing them to knead and sleep on their heads.

I'm with another poster that it really depends on the dog and often the breed. I would be nervous with a terrier, unless I met it and knew it to be gentle.

16. korrok

korrok PetForums Senior

I have one lurcher, he's nearly 11 years old and I've had him since he was tiny. He's grown up alongside cats and small critters, and lived with my dad and his cats for a year when I moved abroad to Holland so that I could settle things in here. While he WAS great with all small animals - I could even trust Riker with my hamster - he's getting old and grumpier than he was, so I am extremely careful with them now. The cats have a tall (2m) cat tree they can get up, the door is always left open so the cats can go upstairs whenever we're out the house - or I seperate them, and I shut the cats in the living room/kitchen area at night time while Riker sleeps upstairs in our bedroom. I worry that now he's old and not quite as he used to be, he might snap if he's disturbed in his sleep by one of them, and I just can't risk it. For the most part they live together just fine though, walk up and sniff each other and such.

What I'm getting at by writing all this is, though, that it comes down to the owner as much as the dogs. How are they prepared to introduce the cat, what space do they have (doesn't need to mean a LOT of space!), are they going to be attentive to the reactions of the dogs and the cat. If they're just like "oh fine sure we'll be okay" and ready to put a kitten in with 6 big dogs and full trust in the dogs, it's probably a bad sign.

Dally Banjo likes this.
  17. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

My BIL , and his wife had 2 beautiful rescue greyhounds , soft as muck and lazy as sin , at that time my FIL had gone to work in Bavaria .... They had pepsi his beautiful cat ... They were fab all together in the house , loving and living as one happy family ... They were very very cautious of letting Pepsi out , at the same time as the G/H's , sadly one day it happened and Pepsi was , horrifically ripped to bits , not a pleasant thing to witness , she was dead within minutes ,,,, I do not blame those dogs , but my BIL for not taking onboard the possible risks of owning , a high prey driven animal , then my FIL's beloved cat .... He admits he was stupid now 20yrs down the line .... Accidents can happen , They thought they knew their dogs , sadly they did'nt ....

Guess what i am trying to say is i wouldnt risk a kitt amongst 6 dogs .... but thats just me

18. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I have 3 doglets- one really big, one medium big & one small, & have also had 2 GSDs around the cats with no problems.

19. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

Thank you all for your replies, I have had dogs myself with cats, my GS even nursed a kitten found on a farm with his brother, also looked after my daughters border collie all summer when she was working, the other was a Lakeland terrier,he was fine with them, but all the cats were here first
    I don't really feel comfortable about it, so I think I will say exactly that, and apologise ,but I will just worry, if I let it go, there will be other homes, come along

20. MLB

MLB Guest

I have three but have had five dogs living with cats. My dogs are from 21KG -46KG

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice