Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How long???

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Bazsmum, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Bazsmum

Bazsmum PetForums Newbie

Hi I am new to this forum and bring with me some very sad news!! I have just lost my kitten to what the vet suspects is FIP, I already have an existing cat who is showing no symptoms of the disease so the question is "is it okay for me to get a new kitten now"?:confused:

2. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear of your loss. Did the vet do a post mortem to say it was definatly FIP? He wont be able to say its 100% definatly without one,did he do a titre test for corona? FIP is not contagious but the feline corona virus which can mutate into FIP is.
    Heres a good link with some info on FIP.

Feline Infectious Peritonitis and Coronavirus Web Site

3. kozykatz

kozykatz PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear that you lost your kitten recently. I agree with Jen, a post mortem is the only definitive way to make a diagnosis of FIP.

IF it really was FIP then the recommendation is to wait 7-8 weeks before bringing in a new cat or kitten - meanwhile make sure you clean everything thoroughly. Coronavirus can survive about 7 weeks in suitable conditions.

Hope you will soon have a new family member :)

4. Bazsmum

Bazsmum PetForums Newbie

She is currently at the vets and am waiting to hear news of the post mortem.

Why would you have to wait 6 to 8 weeks? I am really missing my baby, and I need a new kitten to take my mind of her! :(

5. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Because the corona virus could still be present in your house for up to 8 weeks. I would also ask your vet to titre test your other cat before bringing another cat into the household.

6. Angelic1

Angelic1 PetForums Member

So sorry to hear of your loss. :(
    The breeders where I bought my cat from lost their main stud cat to FIP. It made me very paranoid and I did quite a bit of reading on it. Here are a few links that might give you a little more insight. But if it were me I would wait a little while before getting a new kitty....just to be on the safe side.
    :)

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2134&aid=212

Feline Infectious Peritonitis and Coronavirus Web Site

FCoV prevention in kittens has come to be known as the "early weaning and isolation" technique, since essentially that is

7. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

I'm so sorry to hear that you have lost your little one to this horrible illness. It really is best to wait the recomended 8 weeks, just to make sure that your house is clear of any shedded virus.

8. lisa281

lisa281 PetForums Junior

:crazy: :eek:ut:

9. Bazsmum

Bazsmum PetForums Newbie

Excuse me? I came on here for information about introducing a new kitten to a household that has just lost a kitten to poss FIP, what is your problem?

Its seems it varies on how long to wait as I have also heard 3 and 6 months elsewhere, so if I say to leave it at least 8 weeks would that be okay?

Thankyou for your kind (well all but one) responses! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice