Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how long until i can get my cat spayed?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by HelloKittys, Jun 26, 2010.

1. HelloKittys

HelloKittys PetForums Senior

My cat Gizzy had kittens last Sunday and i want to get her spayed ASAP...obviously she is nursing,so will she still be able to get spayed??

2. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

im not sure maby you should ask a vet or something

3. malibu

malibu Guest

It's usually 2 weeks after they finish weaning. Well my vet said that anyway, but it may be slightly different in UK.

4. HelloKittys

Ok,thanks.
    It's just that Gizzy had the 1st kitten and then she had a bit of trouble pushing the 2nd kitten out so i took her to the vet who gave Gizzy a scan.
    Sadly,the kitten was dead so the vet said to wait until the next morning and if she hadn't had it then he would do a ceaesarean and spay her at the same time.
    So i thought by that,it meant she can be spayed while nursing but a few people have said that i have to wait until she's finished nursing?!?!:confused:

5. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I would check with the vet to see if he spayed her at the same time, if not it's roughly 2 weeks after babies stop feeding. :)

6. greyhounder

greyhounder PetForums Junior

If its a male 1 year old ,,
    But if its a female 1 nd a half old :)
    Im with Malibu on this one bout' 2 weeks after Weaning,
    Regards,
    Greyhounder

#6 greyhounder, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  7. HelloKittys

he didn't give her the ceserean in the end because she delivered on her own overnight.
    But because he said that if he needed to give her a cesarean he would spay her at the same time i thought it must be ok?!

8. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Ah I see. No you must give mum time for her milk to dry up as the operation can be more dangerous.

HelloKittys likes this.
  9. HelloKittys

oh right,ok thanks very much :) :thumbup:

10. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Not entirely sure if this will be helpful or not but I'll tell you anyway. I've had mum and daughter Gypsy and Kiera for a month now. Kiera is now 14 weeks old and still feeding from her mum. She is weened but does like to get a snack off mum a couple of times a day. Gypsy was spayed before I got her and doesn't seem to have had any adverse affects aside from the fact that they're both completely daft - Kiera should have stopped feeding weeks ago and Gypsy should have stopped her. Hmmm how to stop that one.....

11. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

sorry but i disagree. What do you base your answer/knowledge on? I got mine neutered at 4 1/2 months old. Glad i did, was quicker op and quicker recovery time and no accidents re spraying or getting any other females cats with any pregnancies etc. I would say wait no longer than six months max for both female and male cats.

12. HelloKittys

Ok,i think i'd better give the vet a call on Monday morning as it seem's that nobody is 100% :confused:
    Thank's everyone :)

13. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I am 100% that you can have a cat spayed at 14 weeks old (depending on the vet) or when sexually active, or some do it by weight but it is NEVER 1.5 years old (perhaps in 1950's), by this time it could have 3 litters.

Your cat stays feeding the kittens, the kittens are weaned from Mum, her milk goes, then she can be spayed approximately 2 weeks after.

14. HelloKittys

Ok,that's great..thanks alot.
    Gizzy feed's her baby then meow's to go outside...so even in this whether,all windows and doors will be closed :)

15. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Oh I know the feeling, I am envious of all these people with their windows wide open! :D

16. Turkilou

Turkilou PetForums Member

i am the same here i would love to have my windows and doors open but my cat had kittens 6 weeks ago and still feedin them i cant wait until i can get her done so she can go out she has been a very upset cat lately cos she wants to go out!! i got told two weeks after she has stopped feeding her and that was the vets that told me that cos i rang to find out about my martha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice