Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How long to walk for in this weather.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lyceum, May 21, 2010.

1. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Title says it all really. Usually take the boys the park for an hour a day, but obviously that's not a good idea in this weather, but just how long is it best to walk them for?

Novak is white with super sensitive skin, Bailey is black and am I correct in thinking he'll dehydrate more because of this? I take a water bottle whenever I walk them and like a proper little paranoid mum I put sun lotion on them.

But obviously I need to find a balance between them having enough exercise, and not over doing it.

So what do you all do in this weather?

2. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

If you are paranoid so am I ;) just asked on here about sun cream for our pooch!

We took buster a wee walk this morning, shorter than normal but to be honest I really dont think he is too bothered, he has been laying around on the cool bits of the floor and being very quiet to be honest. I am planning to wait till the evening to take him out so its a bit cooler or at least the sun is a little less fierce

3. rona

rona Guest

Mine would normally not go out in this heat, but because he is on limited exercise we are doing a slow 15 mins.
    I think it depends on the individual dog, like people, some can cope other can't

4. dvnbiker

dvnbiker PetForums Senior

I just tend to alter the times I go for walks - we always go at 6am anyway but then we go later in the evening when it is hot. I have a collie with hot collie syndrome and this weather only exacerbates the condition

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Go out early in the morning and in the evening when it's cooler and for shorter walks. Do more training in the shade so they get tired out

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I tend to go earlier and later in the day too, esp as I have nowhere with any shade to walk the dogs near me.
    Although in the height of summer last year they missed out on a couple of days a week coz I got in too late and left too early for work to avoid the heat.:( Still at least they have a garden this year!:thumbup:

7. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I'm going to the park early in the morning at around 7am and allowing him lots of breaks, no fast running and offered water every 15 minutes or so. I'm walking him again at around 6-7pm to try and catch the cooler evening temperatures.

8. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

how about takin him for that hour walk either early mornin or late evening? That's what i do.

9. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I walk our 2 (Blade is too young at mo) at 8 am in the morning then leave their evening walk until about 7 so it is cooler. They have 20mins in the morning then an hour at night. X X

10. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

Ive changed our walking times and am doing less throwing balls etc, i hate to see people trapesing dogs round in red hot weather.

11. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

that is a good point..mika loves his ball throwing....i wonder if i should discontinue that for while we have such great weather..considerin the fact they go out after 7.30?

12. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Maybe decrease it a lot unless he showing signs of overheating then stop

13. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

such a shame i have to stop this....or limit it....playin fetch is the only way i can distract him from pickin up sticks or any other rubbish...why can't he be like any other dog and just sniff at things lol

14. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Yeah but you don't want to take the chance.

15. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

you're absolutely correct.

if you have any ideas on how i can distract his cheekiness in the park for the summer (tried treating him for good behaviour that doesn't work) let me know. Ball throwing is the only thing that works. LOL

16. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

Holly is having on-lead walks, and also on flexi, so she doesn't get as excitable. We go out 8am, and 7pmish.

Went down the rescue today, and we're making our walks earlier, from 10am, and as there is 2 of us, we can get all the dogs walked by 11:30, however some just have a run around the paddock, then decide they don't want a walk as they are too hot.

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

In this weather I go early morning and late evening. They get the same length walks but at different times :)

18. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I walked Sailor for an hour today at lunchtime, we walked over the fields and he spent most his time, trying to run through water and Im sure if he could communicate like humans, he would have been screaming and laughing in excitement, he went totally demented :lol:

At one point he jumped off a board walk and belly flopped the water below and that just set him off an another demented run through the water :lol:

If we didnt have soo much water near by.. I would be walking him early morning and late evening aswell, to avoid the relentless sun, but luckily we are a short walk from water and he always ends up walking home, dripping wet from nose to tail tip, looking like the happiest dog in the world :D

19. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I don't really have the option of going early morning, I know I can get out with them a few evenings when its cooler so they can have a run, but it wont be every night. I'll have to stick to on lead walks for the next few afternoons and stik close to home so I can get them out the sun asap if they start overheating.

Poor boys, if only they could tell us how they were feeling lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice