Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How long to wait

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by WelshOneEmma, May 25, 2010.

1. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

Before getting another dog?

We picked up our rescue puppy 4 weeks ago. Whilst I do not want another dog straight away (want to make sure this one is house trained etc first) we are so enamoured with this dog, that we are already discussing potentially getting another (and if the SA continues this may help her). Obviously I know that she would need to meet any potential dogs etc, but at what age do people think would be best to introduce a new dog? She is currently 14 weeks old. From the interactions she has had with friends dogs, she loves company (even happy with a full grown burnese once she realised it wasn't going to eat her! :)) and seems to get on with both males and females. Should we wait until she's a year old minimum? She is not yet speyed as she is too young, but will be done as soon as the vet is happy to do so. What do people recommend?

2. rona

rona Guest

Have you thought of doing it the other way and rescuing a slightly older dog?

3. WelshOneEmma

Yes, I will be honest, we are very flexible with any animals we get (I really need to stop looking at the Many Tears website). I assumed that I would still need to wait a bit for Piper to get settled in the house. Plus the cats are just starting to tolerate her and I worry that another straight away may push them over the edge!

So I guess the question would be split in two -

How long to wait if we got another puppy?
    How long to wait if we got an older dog?

4. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

I would say if you were to get an older dog when she's one, as hopefully the older dog will teach her while she's still growing up.

If you were to get another puppy I'd say 2, as that's what I done when I got Milo, I waited until Zeus was 2 nearly 3.

Getting the new puppy has calmed Zeus right down and gave him the big brother role :)

5. rona

rona Guest

If another puppy then at least 18months. With an older dog, it will depend on that dog.
    If you go for a calm obedient 3-4 year old, then I would say, as soon as she is settled and the cats have got used to the situation.
    As long as you make sure that each dog has separate time spent on them, I can't see much of a problem

6. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Another puppy at least a year preferably 18 months. An older dog that's calm and trained when the puppy has settled down and everyone is used to the situation.

7. WelshOneEmma

Thanks everyone. I have had a few people tell me recently (when out walking the dog) that I was silly for getting just one and should have gone for two. I must admit one is hard work, so two would be a nightmare! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice