Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How long to wait post-infection before vaccs

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Torin., Mar 20, 2020.

1. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

First off: I am of course going to take my vets' advice on this one - I'm due to phone them tail end of next week to update them on Cad's progress anyway. They're currently exceedingly busy though, so I don't want to pester more than necessary.

Anyone who has me on social media will know that Cadvan's been ill for the last couple of weeks. He's had a uti/ cystitis, but his urinalysis was positive enough that we're just treating the symptoms and supporting him rather than using ABs. His initial 7 day course has been extended by another 7-10 days as immune system improvement was slow to start with, but he's doing pretty well now.

Thrown into that, he's due his annual vaccs. I'm not overly worried about it from his perspective as 3 month's grace and all that. But I need to think about budgeting stuff given the somewhat increased price of life right now. So I was wondering if anyone knows just as a rough sort of ballpark, how long it might be before he can have them? Like, are we talking first half of next month (I suspect unlikely)? Second half of next month? May?

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

As soon as you think he's fit and well is the basic answer.
    Obviously you know about the 3 months delay, so fit him in when it suits you.

Torin. and Blitz like this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Absolutely. There is no hurry but as soon as he is well he can have it if you want. I would not rush, there is no need to have it bang on the due date.

Torin. and lullabydream like this.
  4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Thank you both! He's already a month over due date as the week he was meant to have them was the week when this happened instead. I think I was just having late-night anxiety, so coming on this morning to your replies has really reassured me.

lullabydream likes this.
  5. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Senior

So does that mean when they are due for their annual vaccinations you can delay it for 3 months? I’d be interested as Nova is due beginning of April but with the current situation I’d be happy to avoid going to the vet if I doesn’t absolutely need to be.

6. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Yeah, so essentially annual vaccination boosters cover you for 15 months, rather than exactly 12. Gives you a bit of flexibility for whatever life's doing.

I don't want to go to the vets either, especially as me going involves the bus. But it would definitely be worth just checking out if your vets have anything extra in place at the minute. In that my vets are currently offering half price home visits to decrease surgery footfall and help out those self-isolating. So I'm going to do that for Cad's vaccs :)

Kakite and lullabydream like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice