Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How long to foaling?

Discussion in 'Horse Breeding and Rearing Foals' started by Connie12, May 20, 2010.

1. Connie12

Connie12 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I am new to the forum, I have a connemara 6 year old mare due to foal soon, she is 332 days today, she had her first foal last year at 347 days. She started to bag up in the last couple of weeks, and has tiny yellow plugs at the end of her teats, last year she developed white wax at 346 days and foaled at 9am the next morning. She looks very relaxed around the vulva area, and her belly is dropping (although you wouldnt think so by looking at the pics, she hardly looked pregnant at all until a few weeks ago).

These pics were taken this morning, what do you think regarding how long? I have a feeling she will go before the due date this year.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

The infamous question.
    My mare was bagged up like that for weeks and had tiny wax plugs for days.On the morning she gave birth she ran milk so much it was all down her legs.
    She finally gave birth at 350 days.
    I know mares tend to follow a pattern with times of birthing and she doesn't look ready to me yet.
    Saying that she will probably give birth tonight now lol.
    It is all guess work with these mares.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice