Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How long till she will be in labour?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by andrimix, Mar 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrimix

andrimix PetForums Junior

Hi all,

So, we have a cat , a bit over 1 year old, she used to go out in the backyard, and last month we noticed she was pregnant. It's her first time, we never had pregnant cats before, so everyone is anxious.
    I read everything I could find about cat labour, it's been more than a week since she started to show pre-labour signs (hiding under the bed/nesting, enlarged mammary glands with drops of milk around, visible kittens movement in her belly, and much more) but no sign of actual labour. Two days ago we started taking her temperature (under her armpit, yes, I know, not very accurate, but same or very similar results every time we did it), it was between 37.2-37.5.
    But even if right now is not really eating a lot and she's hiding under the bed with hours, there are no other signs that she is even close to giving birth.

How long should this first stage take, because this waiting is killing us all, and the internet is not really helpful, because according to them my cat should be in labour already, and she is not.

2. andrimix

So this is her this morning, and few moments ago, hiding under my daughter's bed. We made a nesting box for her, but until now she didn't showed any interest in it.

Attached Files:

3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Since you have no idea when she was mated, the only possible answer is 'soon'.

Don't let her out until she is spayed. You don't want her having her kittens outside, you don't want her going out and not coming back if she has unweaned kittens, and (I hope) you definitely don't want her coming back pregnant.

4. Lunarags

Lunarags PetForums Member

She looks big - it wont be long!!

5. OrientalSlave

Under a bed is far from ideal as if she or a kitten needs help you can't give it. Do you have a spare room she can have, where you can remove everything she might hide under? And a cardboard box with flaps she can have, so she is enclosed but you can sneak a look?

spotty cats and Lunarags like this.
  6. andrimix

We made her a nice nesting box but unfortunately she's not interested in it. She first started hiding under my little boy bed, and I because I couldn't move her from there I tried to arrange a bit the space (worst case scenario in case she needs help under the bed I just move the bed, not big deal) but as soon as I put her pads and blankets there she stopped using it, and moved under a different bed! I cannot convince her to change this "under the bed thing", so I just let her stay there, and in case she will gave birth in there, it's not a heavy bed, I can move it away. But if you have tricks how to convince her to use a nesting box, I will be more than happy to try, I tried using food, she gets there, eat and go out!

7. OrientalSlave

My 'trick' would be to confine her in a room with everything she needs, including a couple of boxes, and nothing she can hide under.

Lunarags, gskinner123 and spotty cats like this.
  8. andrimix

Unfortunately I don't have a spare room just for her, the only room where I can try to do this is a small storage under the stairs, I might try to temporarily empty that. But I doubt she will go in there, and is quite a small space, I cannot confine her there. Or should I?

9. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Can you not use your own bedroom? Block any areas that are unsafe. Some girls don't use their box until it's time, mine spend a week rearranging the bedding in theirs.
    You wanted to play at breeding, now you need to put some effort into adapting for her needs.

lorilu likes this.
  10. andrimix

I cannot empty my bedroom, there's a lot of stuff in there where she can still hide, starting with the bed and drawers, which I cannot get rid of.

I don't know why but even if you gave good advice, you have a problem with my cat being pregnant. And I don't understand why!

Yes, she might not be a purebred cat, she mate with a stray cat, but that doesn't mean we don't love or treat her well! And I have absolutely no problem with her being pregnant, and I intend to take good care of her and her babies.

11. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

There are enough bybs around adding to the moggy over population.
    Have you spoken to the vet about testing for fiv, felv since she's mated with a random stray?

Beds and drawers can be easily closed off, you've had weeks to tidy up the house for safe delivery. The kittens also need a safe space to wander once up on their feet.

Hopefully the kittens will be more responsibly cared for than mum, staying with mum for a minimum of 12 weeks, vaccinated and neutered before adoption.

lorilu, buffie and LinznMilly like this.
  12. andrimix

The only thing I agree with is the fact that even if my cat was up to date with her treatments, a stray cat might not be the best choice for this, as I am unaware of any possible dissises that he might carry and transmit to her. But other than this, sorry, the rest of the reasons for me are quite discriminating!

Anyway, the cat is pregnant, looks in very good health, the kittens are moving inside of her, so I am pretty happy with all this. I don't plan to change my life and my kids life in preparing for cat's birth. I plan on giving her as much space and care as possible, but I don't consider myself an irresponsible persoana for not "tidying" the entire house for her weeks ago!

So if you have any other suggestions for how to encourage her to use a nesting box, please let me know.

Rude comment deleted

#12 andrimix, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2021
  13. Lunarags

. My advice would be to find the safest room in the house for her and pop her in there with her nesting box and food and water and keep the door shut. If this isnt possible then you are going to have to make the whole house as safe as you can and do your best to encourage her to go where you would like. If she is intent on going somewhere that really isnt a good idea you will have to find a way to block it off. Otherwise if she wont go in her nest you should let her find her own place where she feels safe. It would be a good idea to keep the kids doors shut so she cant get in there, and have a word with the kids if you can to just tell them that the cat isnt allowed to go in there bedroom at the moment. My kids are pretty good at keeping the cats in their respective rooms when necessary, although you will have to keep an eye/ear out as they sometimes forget when theyre distracted. My cat gave birth in an empty kallax box once - managed to get herself and her pregnant belly in there without pulling the drawer out. I thought i was going mad when the kallax started meowing!!!

Quoted rude comment deleted.

#13 Lunarags, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2021
    andrimix likes this.
  14. andrimix

The safest room is my bedroom, this is where I put her the nesting box that she's not using it. Except my "little" one, who's only 6, the other kids are almost or already teenagers, so I only need to keep an eye on one of them, to behave as it should ☺️.
    Very good advice, I will try to see what and how we can apply it better. We already have 2 bedrooms that have the door always close, to avoid the cat nesting there.

We don't know what to expect, all we know is what we read on Google or saw on YouTube. And we are all looking for labour signs, but no one is sure if that was or not a sign. For example right now when I went upstairs I saw a mess near her litter box, sand all over the floor. She was never messy there, so according to Google this can be a sign. But I also think that we might overreact and see everything as a sign.

15. Lunarags

It can be so difficult to tell with cats. With my girls i tend to get to know them so by the time they have their last litters i know exactly what to look out for, but when its her first time you never quite know whats a sign and whats not as they are all different. It sounds like she might be getting ready, and when she does start to push, you cant miss it. Its a good idea to get a number for out of hours vet just in case you need it, and if shes pushing for half an hour without producing a kitten you need to be on the phone to them. Active cat labour is much quicker than in humans and its important that when the kittens are on their way they come quickly. Labour usually goes smoothly without the need for intervention but its always better safe than sorry if youre not sure whether to ring the vet or not, as its not only the kittens which are in danger if something does go wrong, and i have no doubt that you love your girl and would hate for anything to happen to her

andrimix likes this.
  16. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Really?

In my opinion, she makes a very valid point. This is irresponsible breeding at it's finest. Let your young moggy out to mate with any male cat who tracks her down, be completely unprepared for her to deliver her kittens and not even know on what date they're due.

This is exactly why there are so many homeless and unwanted cats.

Why would you encourage such practise?

lorilu, spotty cats, buffie and 3 others like this.
  17. OrientalSlave

18. Lunarags

I don't disagree with what @spotty cats is saying, i just don't like the way she says it. It's true that the cat shouldn't have been allowed to breed however as I have said on pervious threads the damage is done so we can offer good advise and also reccommend that the cat be spayed after this litter, but no amount of attacking OP is going to make the cat un-pregnant, all it does is make us unkind, hence i dont take part i simply make a reccommendation that the cat be spayed if someone else hasn't done so already and move on

19. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

This is not the place for such disagreements.
    If you have issues with other posters please report them.

LinznMilly, Rafa and Lunarags like this.
  20. Lunarags

Sorry you're right

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice