Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How long till my kitten gets used to sleeping on his own?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by JessicaLili, Feb 14, 2020.

1. JessicaLili

JessicaLili PetForums Newbie

I have had my kitten for just over 3 weeks and apart from the first two nights where I slept with him in the living room, he has been sleeping on his own in there since but every time we leave to go to bed he comes and cries at our bedroom door for about a minute and if he hears a noise from us in the night (ie, I have a cough so every time I cough he comes and cries)

How long will it take him to get used to sleeping by himself? if you have any advise on this it will be greatly appreciated

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

I can’t tell you how long it takes as there’s a cat flap in my bedroom door. ;)
    I love falling asleep and waking up with a purring cat by my head or by my feet or in my arm.

The advise I have heard here is, if you really don't want a cat in your bed, to settle it for the night in always the same room with all the cat requires, like scratchers, beds, toys, food..., in some sort of ritual and by and by the cat will get used to it being this way.

I can’t imagine my Annie locked into a room for the night :eek:, but then she never had to get used to that and is an especially active and energetic feline.

3. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Hello and welcome :)

I shall just politely ask if there’s a reason you don’t want him with you in the night? He’s still very small as a kitten - you don’t say how many weeks - but he could well be lonely now he’s not with his mum and litter mates. I know some folk don’t want their cat in their room/on their bed but you will need to be prepared for much crying I think. He wants to be with you. The advice ChaosCat mentions above is often used by forum members, think of it as having a newborn and you probably won’t go far wrong.

I’m not really a good one to talk though as Oscar has free run of the house, day and night. He goes where he wants, chooses which room to sleep in and I’m always happy if he chooses to sleep with us :)

Good luck, I hope you feel you can let him be with you but if you can’t, I hope the bedtime routine will help - oh and kitten photos always welcome ;)

Willow_Warren and JessicaLili like this.
  4. JessicaLili

thanks for your reply! Toro is 13 weeks old so yes he is quite young and I would be happy to let him sleep with us at night but it’s my partner that disagrees as he is a very energetic kitty who happily climbs up our clothing rails, bedside tables, chews wires etc and my partner is afraid he will keep him up all night. He has full run of the rest of the house at night which he does when he understands that we have gone for the night. It’s just the start of the night when we first leave and then if he hears us at night or in the morning he will run to our door.

I do kinda think that if we shut him out so soon it could make him more misbehaved and not love us as much but I don’t know how to persuade my partner.

if you have any information on this I would love to hear it and maybe I can persuade my partner to let him sleep with us.

5. JessicaLili

oh btw! This is Toro!

Attached Files:

6. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Adorable :Cat
    He will get used to sleeping alone but how long it will take is another matter. You can try settling him at night with a meal as you go to bed and providing him with a cuddly toy to curl up with.

chillminx likes this.
  7. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Well, based on the photographic evidence provided, there is a clear and simple solution. Your partner needs to go in the safe room and Toro should be with you ;) Okay, clearly tongue in cheek but he’s delicious. What a lovely boy - he has ears like @Willow_Warren ’s Andre :)

Oh and in fairness, your comment about him being energetic, I think that’s pretty much a kitten trait...which is why we adopted an 11 year old! I feared for my curtains :)

There are lots of kitten experts here, I’m not one of them, hopefully you can get some tips that will help.

8. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Such a gorgeous baby. I would love to have him sleep with me every night if he were mine.
    Get wire protectors if Toro goes for wires. If your OH wants a night of undisturbed sleep he can go to his own bedroom and shut the door against Toro. Simples!:p

Calvine likes this.
  9. JessicaLili

Hahaha I might have to advise that! It makes me really sad making him sleep separate! I might have to get some wire protectors! Smart idea!

The night routine is, playtime for atleast 30 minutes, chill out time on the couch and then just before we head to bed we fill up his bowl with food and his milk too! he gets distracted by the food for a while but then when he notices we’ve gone he runs to our door
    av

lymorelynn likes this.
  10. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Cute kitty! I really like my cat sleeping with me, its very comforting

JessicaLili likes this.
  11. Willow_Warren

Willow_Warren PetForums VIP

Ah... he’s Andre’s twin... he’s got one tabby and one white leg the same too :)

I’m fortunate with my two that they sleep during the night and always have! Andre may get up at 5am if I stir. I too love them sleeping on the bed... although sometime it’s a bit awkward as they seem to take up the whole bed!

I hope yours settles into a routine, he’s still a baby!

Hannah

JessicaLili likes this.
  12. JessicaLili

I would love for him to sleep with me, I really enjoy him sleeping on me during the day but my partner won’t budge about having him in our bed as a kitten because he will get used to it

13. JessicaLili

aww please show me your kitties! I’d love to see!
    Toro is very energetic and so my partner feels like if we let him sleep with us he will be climbing on our heads trying to play whilst we sleep

I hope he settles soon! Last night was a lot better as I wasn’t coughing as much so he couldn't hear me.

14. Agent Smith

Agent Smith PetForums Newbie

We were the same with our 9 week old kitten, he would sleep outside our bedroom door for the first week or two. Apart from when i'd sneak downstairs in the night and sleep on the couch with him.

We decided to try letting him in the bedroom. The first few nights he was a bit disruptive and exploring every nook and cranny but now he's really chilled out. He has a mad 20 minutes where he's pouncing on anything that moves under the duvet so we play with him and tire him out then he curls up at our feet and is no bother at all.

Perhaps make the room more cat friendly and work on persuading your other half to give it a trial run.

15. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Little Toro is very adorable.
    You sound like you have an excellent evening routine, he has a long play and something to eat. It just sounds like he wants company and is still very young and finding his feet.
    You could try having one of his beds in your bedroom for him to sleep in. He might not go in it, and prefer the bed, but it might be worth a try. It might be just that he's a bit insecure, and he probably doesn't want to spend the entire night with you (or on his own), he just might want to be able to come and go when he wants, just to make sure you're still there. If the door is shut, he's probably wondering why he can't come in, what's in the room and wants to say hello to you.

Although Holly isn't a kitten, she does like access to our bedroom. She doesn't even sleep on the bed, she just comes in every so often to see if we're awake. If she senses I'm awake, she will walk up me and purr. It's very sweet, but I don't want to be disturbed, so I ignore her. She leaves after 20 secs. She follows me to bed, but leaves as soon as I turn the light off.

It might be worth allowing him in and seeing what he actually does. He might just settle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice