Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How long is a puppy still a "puppy"?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by stellasmama, Aug 13, 2009.

1. stellasmama

stellasmama PetForums Member

Our Stella is 10 months old....I still consider her to be a puppy. We recently boarded her and when I told the owner of the kennel that she eats puppy food she looked at me kind of funny.

Is our girl all grown up and should be eating adult food now???

2. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I think it's down to personal choice of the owner,I swapped my boy to adult food at 9 months but swapped my girl at 7 months. :)

3. rona

rona Guest

It does depend on the breed, large dogs mature a lot slower in general.
    Some people keep their dogs on puppy food until they are one year

4. karen09

karen09 PetForums Member

ahh does it mean when a five month old puppy is eating more he should be on adult food? just started him on junior food or do i just increase what i give him?

cheers

karen

5. Yogi B

Yogi B PetForums Member

I agree, small breed dogs generally reach maturity at 2 where large breeds generally are closer to 3 years of age. By definition, until they reach maturity they are considered puppies. The issue of the dog food is one of discretion. Many are of the belief that one year of age is the proper time. Others looks at when a dog comes into season for the first time as an indicator. Being that dogs blow their puppy coats and develop their adult coats as well as adult teeth on average of 6 to 7 months, many believe that is the time to switch.
    Much is open to interpretation as to when but it appears to be generally accepted that any time after 7 months is a good time for the switch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice