Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How long has your cat gone missing for?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Matthew67, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Matthew67

Matthew67 PetForums Newbie

My cat has now been missing for 26 days. I've done all what I'm supposed to, posters, contacted vets, local social media sites, been out a minimum of 3 hours every single day calling him. Sometimes day, very often at night. Contacted the police and council that have reported no recent dead cats found on the roads. He is castrated and chipped with ID collar as well. He is inside/outside cat and has gone away for a day or two before. The longest he was away was 6 days before castration.
    I guess what I'm looking for in reassurrance that he will be back so was just wondering how long other folks have had their furry friend go missing for. I miss my pet very much.

2. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

My girl went missing for 6 weeks. Turned out she was a few houses down having been adopted by someone who thought she was a stray because she wouldn't go away when they fed her (she did go away, back to mine to start with but they didn't realise. It turned out the day she disappeared was the day they decided to keep her in. Six weeks later they couldn't cope with her demanding ways and took her to the vet for rehoming who did what they should have done from day 1 and check for a microchip. :rolleyes:

So I wouldn't give up hope. There are lots of posts on here about people finding stray cats and feeding them and then taking them in. Many if them for some strange reason fail to even think that the cat hanging round might actually have a home and therefore check for a microchip.

I would advise that you put flyers through the doors of your neighbourhood. Don't restrict yourself to your street but also distribute to houses that would be accessible to your cat via, fences, back gardens, wild spaces, tracks or footpaths.

Hope you find your friend soon.

Matthew67 likes this.
  4. Duck toller

Duck toller PetForums Newbie

My cat went missing for a week. He was found six miles away, he just trotted into a office. Luckily they were cat lovers and fed him, then took him to the vets to scan his microchip.

Maybe make your search area wider. After 26 days he could of gone miles.

Matthew67 likes this.
  5. SpringDance

SpringDance PetForums VIP

Have you tried animal search uk?

When my cat went missing, I was worried she'd got in a van and had been driven away.

There seems to be three searches -

1 immediate vicinity (where you would walk past and not know because they are hiding - take a torch at night and shine in bushes)

2 can't get home trapped/ taken to vet or rescue or taken in by other people

3 somehow a long way from home.

Try to cover all grounds. Scatter cat litter around the garden if you still have some. Contact vets and rescues and the microchip company, but don't limit your area. Put posters up. Posters got my cat home - someone saw a poster, saw my cat and took her in overnight before contacting me. Had they not seen a poster, they would have just ignored her.

Matthew67 likes this.
  6. Matthew67

Yes, search area I've gone out to 7 km from the house in all directions. Very thorough search up to 3 km from the house. Will need to go farther. Posters in all surrounding villages and as I'm a teacher, I've given them out to all the kids I teach (approx 100 kids) and offered a monetary reward. Just hope he turns up soon.

kittih and SpringDance like this.
  7. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

Try posting flyers to your neighbours asking them to search their garages.
    Once ours got lost for a couple of weeks, we were so worried as he was terrified of strangers but luckily someone found him in their garage. He must have darted in when the owner was locking it.
    Similar thing happened to a friends cat too

Matthew67 likes this.
  8. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Remember one of our members had a cat missing for many weeks till found quite far away...@Belgy67.

FeelTheBern likes this.
  9. Duck toller

Has your cat come home ?

10. Matthew67

No, still missing and still out everyday looking but hope is fading. He's now been gone for 39 days. I read often about cats returning after 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 3 months, etc so can only hope that he does.

11. FeelTheBern

FeelTheBern They don't like it up 'em, sir!

A few years ago, my mum's cat went missing for around 12 hours. This happened again sometime in 2015/16. You could try asking neighbors if they have seen your cat recently, and putting up posters in your local area. I hear that people also use social media to alert others of a lost pet.

12. Matthew67

Done. When he first went missing I up posters all over the town including neighbouring villages. Put the same poster on social media site and even paid for it to be advertised on Facebook. It's been shared and clicked on hundreds of times. Paid for a pet detective who contacts all police stations, vets, pet shops, hunter groups with these posters. Contacted the neighbours as well as all local vets myself. Have also been going out 2 to 3 hours everyday looking including many times in the middle of the night so just about done everything I can.

13. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

I presume you contacted all cat charities, shelters, left details etc.

I am sorry.

14. Matthew67

Yes, all cat and dog shelters were contacted. Thanks for asking. The search continues.

15. Duck toller

Hope you get some good news soon xxx

16. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

My brother's cat went missing for 3 months. Turned out that someone had picked her up and decided to keep her...in a rabbit hutch! :eek:

I can't remember how she was found in the end, but I think maybe it involved the RSPCA??​

17. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Don't give up hope. It is possible that he has been "adopted" by some well meaning person thinking he was a stray. Until they take the cat to the vet or decide that they can no longer keep him then how origins may not be discovered.

A couple of further things you could try are to contact your local newspaper and radio station and ask them to do a piece on the importance of getting any so called stray animals checked for a microchip and also to put out information about your cat.

Many people seem clueless that cats can have microchips and that the cats they believe are stray or mistreated are nothing of the sort, but just opportunists who have frantic owners at home. Good luck in your search. I would put leaflets through everyone's doors again and also keep contacting vets, rehoming centres, the council Etc to keep him in the forefront of everyone's minds. Good luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice