Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How long for hair to grow back?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by McKenzie, Oct 5, 2013.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Kenzie suffered from some itching recently, which we've now got under control. However, she's actually chewed off patches of her fur, mainly on her hind legs but there's also a little patch missing on one of her front legs.

How long is it likely to take to grow back, just out of curiosity? With such short hair on her legs they really look like chicken legs! :eek:

2. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

When Buck had his leg shaved to have his leg pinned it took about 4 weeks for his hair to grow back so you couldn't see were he had been clipped but he is short coats so most likely not much help to you at all.

3. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

It does also depend on how much damage he has done to the skin - Quinn is an obsessive licker and he now has various areas where the fur will not grow back due to how much he damaged his skin.

Rub some vitamin e oil on the area, it seemed to help stimulate hair regrowth in most of the areas.

I found regrowth in a short haired breed like Quinn takes quite a few weeks, at least 6 when the hair has been completely licked out from the root rather than clipped.

4. soulful dog

soulful dog PetForums Senior

I think short-haired dogs that shed are different and they take longer, so Kenzie might be in a matter of weeks. When Ringo had his hip operation the fur on his legs started to grow back in about 4 weeks (a fair bit longer to fully grow) but further up his leg it took a lot longer, and he had a big patch right at the top near his back that took a full 8 months to grow.

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Thanks all, I didn't think to consider how long it takes her hair to grow back after clipping! :eek:

I don't think she would have damaged the skin - she wasn't chewing for very long before I got it under control. And she's chewed the hair off rather than pulling it out by the root.

I'll try the Vitamin E oil :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice