How long does it take a puppy to learn the bang you're dead trick?

Discussion in 'Dog Tricks and Games' started by tabelmabel, Dec 30, 2017.

1. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums Member

Hi

My pup is 7 months old and on her first season so i thought i would take this time to teach her a new trick. She is a brittany so really clever (!)

She already knows down and stay. I looked up online how to teach and managed to lure her onto her side hip. But not over. I think i am going too fast.

Do i keep practising the side hip for a few days and then move on? How long do you think it takes to teach the whole trick?

Thanks!

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't do so sort of tricks until she's well over a year old and mature. Stress on the joints and particularly the spine at that age can come back and haunt you years later. No dogs are allowed to compete in agility or heelwork to music (which is in the main trick training) until they are at least 18 months old for that very reason.

Certainly not trying to dampen your enthusiasm for training but just be cautious of what you teach.

StormyThai likes this.
  3. tabelmabel

Thanks @Twiggy! I hadn't thought of that but it makes complete sense. Any ideas of anything new i could teach her whilst she is in season? I am working on getting her to be rock steady in her stays in distracting situations and she is getting better all the time. She will stay for extended periods in a room of the house or garden whilst i hide a toy to find in another room / bushes in garden. She loves that game.

The other thing i am struggling with is getting her to respond to her own name commands specifically.

I have an older dog aged 5 yrs. I can sit the 2 of them on the wait command. My older dog will stay in wait whilst i call the puppy. My puppy will not stay waiting whilst i call my older dog. As soon as she hears 'come' she comes.

Stupidly, i tried saying come really quietly to try and dampen enthusiasm but then my older dog just got all confused as to whether he was supposed to come or wait.

Any tips on that please? Thanks!

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

P1000927 (2).JPG [

Any tips on that please? Thanks![/QUOTE]
    That's quite an advanced exercise for a puppy and you need to break it down into little sections. Can you walk a circle round her whilst she's in the sit stay - run round her clapping your hands or singing? Run past her from behind, throw a toy over her head or chuck treats around her, etc.? That is proofing the sit stay before you attempt to call your other dog next to her in the sit. Have a look on You Tube at platform training which is a very good way of shaping a confident and secure sit stay. Platforms have many other uses as well and the dogs seem to enjoy it.

This is my puppy at about 11-12 weeks old last winter (I could run by her with her favourite flirt pole after 2/3 weeks):

StormyThai and LinznMilly like this.
  5. tabelmabel

Hi @Twiggy yes i can do all those things in my kitchen and she will stay rock solid. I'm pretty sure she would be solid in the garden if it was just me and her but definitely not in a public area.

I have been working on the steady training following on from some one to one gun dog training. Last time i saw him she could stay waiting in the field so long as i was watching and showing the hand signal but she was wobbling with anticipation waiting to shoot off the second my hand went down!

Ideally she is not supposed to break that wait until i actually instruct her to go off. She is getting better but needs more for sure. She will now sit and wait when we come in from a walk and i can take my coat off and hang it up with my back to her and she will not break position.

I like the platform idea - i had heard ian dubar lecturing and i think he makes use of picnic benches outdoors when training positional work to stop dogs creeping forward. This platform sounds more hygienic altogether! Thanks.

What she definitely can't do is run past a desired toy to me without picking up the toy. She can do it if i lure her over the item to leave with a tasty treat (so she has her nose stuck on the lure whilst she goes past the leave item!) We have spent the past few weeks encouraging her to retrieve items gently into our hands to strengthen her retrieval work. So now she likes to bring most things to us. She is excellent at leaving a food treat until instructed to take it as a set exercise but leave definitely needs more work.

Come to think of it - there is plenty to be working on!

6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

She is only a little pup and it's a big exciting world out there but it will all come together in time.

The platform can be used to teach distance control, sit - down - stand stay - heelwork position - HTM moves - calm focus - impulse control etc. etc. Obviously you need various sized platforms for different exercises. I taught my puppy by clicking and shaping. I kept my mouth firmly shut (which is difficult for me as I'm a terrible cheerleader) and initially when she even looked at the platform I clicked and treated, then if she sniffed it and so on. During the first 15 minute session she was actually sitting on it. You never tell the dogs to go on the platform, it's their choice but they quickly learn all the good stuff (toys and treats) are forthcoming when they put themselves on it.

Are you sure that you are not confusing her with regards to gently retrieving to your hand and then expecting her to ignore a toy on the floor? There seems to be a contradiction there. Anyway if she will leave it for a food lure then it is simply a matter of gradually fading the lure.

It's very easy to not think things through properly and confuse dogs/puppies. I intend to do competitive obedience and agility with my youngster and had already taught her to touch a back marker and drop for sendaway. When I started agility a short while ago I then required her to run both left and right around a marker which was something of a dilemma, although I used huge blue barrels which are far bigger than you would normally get in an obedience ring. Bless her - she was touching the barrels and running round the sendaway marker in spite of my best efforts although I think we've got it cracked now.

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. tabelmabel

Yes @Twiggy, i think i am confusing her!! In fact i am just confusing myself i think!! I have worked really hard on whistle training the recall and distance sit outside and they are both excellent but she is a hunt point retrieve breed with the hunter pointer aspects stronger than the retrieve instinct so i have also worked hard on that outside so that she stays focussed on me and doesn't bog off!

Obvs at 7 months, there is still a good chance she could go bogging off at some stage but so far, so good. She turns on a sixpence to the recall whistle.

However, shouldn't a well trained dog be able to retrieve and also leave depending on what i instruct? Is it just too soon to teach that distinction do you think?

When i got her, i thought i might like to try agility with her but i am more thinking of field trial type stuff lately. I love going out with the gundog trainer. I don't want to work her with live game but to see her hunting for dummies is really very exciting!

I do like the platform; think i will have a go with one! Thanks!

8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes a well trained dog would be able to retrieve or leave but that comes with age and experience. Personally I wouldn't expect a pup to do it.

Good luck with the platform training. I found it fascinating watching my pup's brain work.

LinznMilly and tabelmabel like this.
  9. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Banned

it took olive about 20 days to get it! .... xx

tabelmabel likes this.
  10. sesmo

sesmo PetForums Member

One game I've found that tires out my dog's mind is toy discrimination. Place a toy on the floor away from the dog and ask them to fetch it using the toy's name. Repeat with another toy. Once they've got both down pat, try putting both down at the same time and asking for one or the other. Reward for the correct choice. Continue adding other toys.

My dog is no gun dog (Bichon x Chi) but for fun we've been working on gundog type training. Same as the indoor game, except I direct him to where the toys are and ask him to bring the correct one back. "Fetch Piggy"- he runs off and retrieves Piggy from open ground. "Find Duckie"- he knows it will be hidden and I direct him to it. Took about 6 months to get him to do it reliably, but he will run past other toys to get the right one. He was scared of whistles so all my commands were spoken, but after much desensitisation we're getting there with a whistle.

Just need to work on the present now (he coughs out the toy at my feet). Once that's cracked, if anyone needs a dog for retrieving sparrows/budgies/or smaller we're ready :)

11. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Amazing but get what?

12. Violet Turner

Violet Turner Banned

bang your dead trick ...

Twiggy likes this.