Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How long do I let 1st stage labour go??

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Claire Thomas, May 30, 2017.

1. Claire Thomas

Claire Thomas PetForums Newbie

Hi. How long do I let 1st stage labour go on? my girl is 65 days and temp dropped to 36.3 at 6pm on Sunday 33hrs ago now. Panting/shallow breathing with long periods of rest have followed, but no signs of contractions. she's had nutri drops and ice cream, as is not eating/drinking, little walks, tummy rubs, but minimal nesting behaviour. called vet after 24hrs who advised not to worry until 36hrs. Puppies are less active, it's a struggle to feel real movement, but there is some, especially after ice cream. She is not distressed, Is It ok to wait it out til vet opens at 9 or should I get her in to the out of hours vet as soon as she hits 36hrs? her first Litter? advice appreciated please.

#1 Claire Thomas, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
  2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

What's happened?

3. Claire Thomas

hiya. She had no contractions when we got to vet, but was fully dialated. he offered oxytocin , but I said no. we x rayed them and scanned for heart beats,1 puppy was big, no heartbeat and blocking the birth canal. emergency c section followed. ALL 7 puppies surrvived, Tank (nickname for the troublemaker) took 30 mins of reviving but got there in the end. mum wouldnt feed (ga side effects), went home quickly 1.5 hrs after op, got her settled and slowly slowly shes cone round. checked today mum and puppies all doing well. smallest needs watching and encouraging to eat, but otherwise all is good. mum is amazing, very proud of her, she's now doing a great job.

Attached Files:

Sled dog hotel and Burrowzig like this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Glad it's worked out, must have been very worrying taking so long to get Tank breathing.

The rails in your box are too low; pups should be able to get under them. If they can't, mum can lie on them. It's supposed to be a protection area for them.

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Glad Mum and pups are now doing OK and hope they will continue to do well especially the one that took so long to revive its a long time. Agree about the rails too they do look like they need repositioning.

6. Claire Thomas

hi. thank you. we've been having this conversation this morning about the rails not seeming to be in the right position , despite the guidelines on the box. have you tubed it and will put them higher now. I'm figuring they need to be higher and slightly further out so they are able to get under and out, as 1 got stuck behind a rail this morning.

Burrowzig and Sled dog hotel like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice