UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before your dog done the toilet outside on a walk. We have just been able to start walking Sammy within the last week and he has not yet done the toilet on a walk...we have to take him out back as soon as we get home and he does it straight away!!

x

·
Registered
419 Posts
In my experience (which isn't that much!) training to 'toilet' on the lead can be as difficult as house training. It can also be confusing for the dog, as you send him away from you (outside) and encourage him to toilet and don't allow him to do it inside the house (which he will probably associate as being in front of you). For this reason, dogs can be slow at toileting when on the lead in front of you.

However, you have no choice but to persevere and give loads of praise when he eventually does do it. Have you tried keeping the lead on when you get home and back in the garden - that way he learns it is acceptable to toilet in front of you, but only in certain areas? i.e. The garden.

You can also use words to prompt toileting. I say "Be quick" (a friend says "Be clean") and I can now get my dog to almost wee on command! which is handy if we are about to get into the car or I want her to wee so I can go out and leave her home alone knowing her bladder is empty.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Mybe take him out after he had a Play or Eat and Sleep because thats when puppies mostly pooh & pee try that seeif that helps you :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my experience (which isn't that much!) training to 'toilet' on the lead can be as difficult as house training. It can also be confusing for the dog, as you send him away from you (outside) and encourage him to toilet and don't allow him to do it inside the house (which he will probably associate as being in front of you). For this reason, dogs can be slow at toileting when on the lead in front of you.

However, you have no choice but to persevere and give loads of praise when he eventually does do it. Have you tried keeping the lead on when you get home and back in the garden - that way he learns it is acceptable to toilet in front of you, but only in certain areas? i.e. The garden.

You can also use words to prompt toileting. I say "Be quick" (a friend says "Be clean") and I can now get my dog to almost wee on command! which is handy if we are about to get into the car or I want her to wee so I can go out and leave her home alone knowing her bladder is empty.
Thats the thing we take him out on the lead in the garden already so he is used to doing it infront of me!

Mybe take him out after he had a Play or Eat and Sleep because thats when puppies mostly pooh & pee try that seeif that helps you :D
Tried that, he must have held it in til we got back cos he was obviously burstin!

Will just need to keep perceviering (sp?) and hopefully he will go eventually :D

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
When Arnie first started his walks he would not pee or poop on walks but saved it till he got into his own garden, now he pees no prob but tries not to poop until he's on his walks, he dont want to mess his play area :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Since I started walking Suki last week (she's 12 wks now) she will quite happily toilet whilst out, whereas Oscar who's 16wks now still doesn't...just waits till we get home then rushes out into the garden. Haven't managed to work out yet what I'm doing differently with the two of them coz I walk them together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.