Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

How long did it take you to learn to drive?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kayz, Jul 8, 2009.

1. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

I'm starting to learn to drive. I've had about 6 lessons now but about 18 months ago. I'm going to be having an hour with an instructor and 1-2 hours with my Mum.

Just wondering how long it took other people.

2. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

It didn't take me long to learn to drive - just took a while to pass my test! :D

I was lucky as had lessons with an instructor plus my own car to practise in with my ex beside me. Think I had about 15 lessons in all though.

Good luck

Ellie x

3. kath123

kath123 Guest

I need to start my driving lessons now as need to pass by september next year so i am hoping it wont take me too long. :D:D

good Luck though hun xxx

4. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

Passed at 17, took 3 lessons & had my test imediately after the 3rd lesson... the joys of growing up in the motor trade... ;)

5. animallover111

It didnt take me long either it really helps if you can drive as much as possible but still have your lessons as driving instructor will pick up your bad habits.Have to admit not sure if i had to sit both my theory and practical tests again not sure i would pass!! :)
    Good luck xx

6. kath123

kath123 Guest

Wow!!! That is amazing!!! I wish i could do it that easily hun xxx

7. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

My old man taught me the basics at a very very early age, he had his own garage for service, sales & repairs etc...
    I spent every school holiday at his work, moving cars around all day for him...:D

8. kath123

kath123 Guest

It came in handy then which is brill. :)

i dont think im going to be so lucky. :eek:

9. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

Took me 3 months from start of lessons to taking test and passing :D

Good luck!!

10. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Three years, passed on third attempt. I couldn't reverse round corners for toffee :(

After the second attempt I stopped for about a year, just stepped back and had a rethink as to whether or not this driving lark was for me afterall. Taking time out and having to travel on public transport for a year worked for me and I've never looked back.

Good luck xx

11. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone. Just hoping to have passed by my birthday next year in April.

12. animallover111

You have plenty of time,you will of passed by next April then you have the fun of buying a car.......:)

13. 6 lessons with a great instructer! then practicing with a partner! passed first time! BUT, they tell me it was a lot easier then and there was no theory test involved! Just three questions relating to the highway code!
    lol
    DT

14. foxxy cleopatra

foxxy cleopatra PetForums VIP

took about 6 months :) had loads of lessons though!

15. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Average time for people round here is about 5 months from learning to passing their test. My instructor says most people normally have 20-24 hour long lessons.

Get learning quick though, apparently they want you to have 100 hours of lessons before you can take your test soon :eek:

I've had about 9 lessons I think, couldn't do anything at the start and I can reverse round corners, do turns in the road and drive around a small town around rush hour OK, I'll be going into a bigger/busy town soon with one way systems and I dread it! I've missed a few lessons as been away etc but I hope to have passed by about end of September, had first lesson in April.

16. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

About 4 months. I had an hour lesson each week and I drove everywhere in mum's car aswell. I wanted to pass before I was 17 and I did :D If I hadn't I think I would have gave up :p

17. gillieworm

gillieworm PetForums VIP

I had my first test the day before the theory test came in, which was 3 months after starting to learn - I failed that :( So had to do my theory test, which I passed, then didn't pass my practical test till the 4th attempt!! Was just happy that I was still 17 when I passed :D I also never got to drive other than with my instructor

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice