How long can ferrets go without food?

Discussion in 'Ferrets' started by Slizardo, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Slizardo

Slizardo PetForums Newbie

How long can ferrets go without food? I'm asking because my little sister hasn't been home in a while to really check on her little furball and I'm not allowed to mess with it or even go in her room for any reason or else I'll get grumbled at. I always make sure that my ferret has food so I've never really had to wonder about this. Poor thing is already skinny while mine is a total fatty lol. She's always making comments about how mine is bigger than her' s and honestly it's because mine always has food. I'm worried about the poor thing honestly. She's a year old while my baby boy is 16 weeks. She hasn't been out in a while either and I'm about ready to just go in there and deal with the consequences, no animal should have to deal with that.

2. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.

Ferrets have a short metabolism and need to eat every 3 to 4 hours, so they need to have food available 24/7.

Sproglet likes this.
  3. Mirandashell

Mirandashell It wasn't me.

Get in there and feed that poor thing!

Animallover26 and Sproglet like this.
  4. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

Agreed - get in there now! The ferret needs regular feeding, as stated above due to their short digestive tract. From food to poo takes around 4 hours for an average ferret. If you use kibble you can free feed them (i.e. leave food down all the time), but if they are eating raw or wet food, they do need to be fed 3-4 times a day. I'd also be concerned about the ferret having access to sufficient fresh water in this situation. They are also highly intelligent & need regular interaction out of the cage to avoid boredom & stress behaviours.

If your sister is neglecting her ferret to the point that it's looking too thin, you need to try to get her to resolve the issue. If you're living with your parents, they should ensure the ferret is fed & exercised - I believe they actually have a responsibility in law if the owner of the animal is under a certain age - in other words they could be prosecuted if the ferret died. If not (or if she's old enough to be taken to court in her own right), & she won't listen to reasoned arguments from you, you can contact the RSPCA for advice - they may even be able to send someone out to talk to your sister & assess the situation.

In the short term though, ignore her childish tantrums & do what you have to for the ferret's sake. When she gets upset at you for going into her room, you can show her this thread & tell her that if she's not old enough to look after the ferret responsibly (which might include asking you or someone else to feed & exercise her if she's not going to make it home at the right time), she should give her to someone who can look after her appropriately...

5. Animallover26

Animallover26 I am me.