Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

how long between kittens?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by rattyluv, May 6, 2010.

1. rattyluv

rattyluv PetForums Newbie

"hi, i wonder if you could maybe help me some advice....I have an 11 month old female that unfortunately has got pregnant (i say unfortunately as this was never meant to have happen as she was going to be spayed) and last night she gave birth to one kitten who is fully furred, feeding really well and in excellent health....we have had litters of kittens before so can establish that this kitten is fine but the mum has not produced any more kittens since....she is not in any distress, not having any contractions at all, is majorly happy and eating like a horse...she is a very attentive mum so far and on feeling and massaging her tummy we know there are more kittens in there and that as of now they are moving.....i see no danger signs at all but im concerned as to how long a break she could have between birthing....when she had the first baby she had 2 small contractions and then baby was out but theres been nothing since...is there a chance that this baby was maybe born a bit p
    rem and the others arnt quite cooked yet? lol

the other thing is that she was found when she was tiny by a motorway so there is a possiblity that she is from feral parents and i didnt know if this would make any difference...do feral cats birth slightly differently to house cats?
    Obvioulsy i want to do the best for her and kittens so any advice would be greatly appreciated
    ty
    debi"

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

How many hours ago was kitty numer 1 out? To be honest if you are worried, maybe a call to your local vet would help :)

I'm not really experienced enough to advise you more than that. I hope someone else will come along and tell you more. But I can tell you that my girl who had kittens the other night had a maximum of 1 hour between kittens. But I do know some go much longer.

HTH and good luck xxx

3. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

If it was my cat she would be at the vets now. I never like to wait more then around 2 hours between babies

4. rattyluv

well went to vets after calling them for advice and she has been examined, scanned and thoroughly checked over and all is fine...babys heartbeats are nice and strong and beings as she has already had one kitten with no problems vet cannot see why she would have any probs in delivering the others so has given her a shot of oxytocin and we are about 10-15 minutes in....does anyone know roughly how ,long it can take to have effect.....???

just waiting now for the hopefully happy event and then she is being booked in for 8 weeks time to be spayed :)

5. Spaniel mad

Im pretty sure its quick after the jab. Im glad all is well x

6. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

phew i was getting worried after reading the first post that you hadnt been to the vet! good on you!

Sounds like she has a case of inertia. If there has been no movement after the first oxytocin jab, some vets will give a 2nd and you can wait again.

I would say though that if there has been no big changes (after the jab/s) then its likely that she will stay in inertia and need a section.

Its unlikely that the kitten is prem unless it is super tiny, struggling to feed, maybe with sparse coat etc. From what you have said it doesnt sound like this is the case.

Ive had a few foster girls experience inertia, my last was about 12m ago now and unfortunatly she needed a section and we lost 2 of her 4 babies. I'm not saying that to scare you, just prepare you for the worse case scenario.

Fingers crossed the oxytocin is working, and your up to your knees in healthy wriggly kittens soon.

Good luck, keep us posted and all the best with your girls spey. IF she is having to have a section, then it would be easier to have her speyed there and then, without having to go through another anaesthetic in a few weeks x

7. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

Good luck ,hope the rest of the kittens arrive with no problems,:)

8. juliedawn

juliedawn PetForums Junior

My Cleo had one kittens and then didnt have the other 3 till 24 hours later... all were born fine!

9. Spaniel mad

How is mum doing??

10. rattyluv

well ty for all your replies...the oxytocin certainly worked and Tawny had 4 healthy and very strong kittens about 1-2 hours after the injection and all kittens and mum are doing exceptionally well...Tawny has taken to motherhood like a pro and the kittens are thriving already...will post some pics of them as they get a wee bit bigger

11. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

phew!, thank fook for that!

12. Spaniel mad

Aww thats excellent news x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice