Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

How long after 3rd vaccination can my puppy go in the woods

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Manic-marley, May 16, 2018.

1. Manic-marley

Manic-marley PetForums Newbie

Hi all

My puppy has had his 1st vaccination of Nobivac L4 and DHP ON 18/04 and then his 2nd jab of DHP on 5/5 and then his 3rd jab of Nobivac L4 today 16/04. When can I take him out to the park or woods as pets@home said 3 weeks from today but that seems a very long time. Does this sound right as I’ve heard some people say about 11 days

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Personally I would take him in a day or two, three weeks seems excessive. He's probably pretty much covered since his first inoculation, the last one is the leptospirosis jab and unless the woods are riddled with rats he should be fine. Keep an eye on him over the next couple of days as the L4 jab has affected some puppies in a bad way

Wiz201 likes this.
  3. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Member

My experience is a week, I would check for woods and ensure that there has been no cases of Alabama Rot locally not sure what breed of dog but I hope you are keeping on a lead until recall is excellent and the joints are fully grown

4. Manic-marley

He’s a Cockapoo and will be kept on a lead in the woods but off lead at our local park as he’s so attached to me he would always keep me in view and comes back to me when I call him in our large garden

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

A friend’s pup had a seizure within days of having Lepto4 and another 2 since - all in the space of a week and a half.

I see recommendations that Lepto shouldn’t be given before 14 weeks.

6. Manic-marley

He’s 15 weeks old now

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I completely disagree with this. Puppies are keen to be with their owners and should be let off in safe places from day one. I would not have been happy to have lepto 4 but if having it would have had it as extra and taken the pup out as normal a few days after the second injection which is when most pups are covered anyway.

lullabydream, Lurcherlad and Wiz201 like this.
  8. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I'd take him out straightaway but keep him away from standing water where lepto can be caught. The woods should be fine, and I also agree with letting the pup off lead from day 1.

Blitz likes this.
  9. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

The vet told us to wait 2 weeks before we could take Dillon out, but after a 8 days he was driving us crazy so we gave in and started to street walk him.

10. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Member

Sorry but with exercise until you have full recall and a puppy does not get distracted and run off then lead walks and training, also I learnt the hard way with HD joints are soft and not fully grown so over exercise especially off lead is not advised and should be kept to a minimum when play is involved.

11. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

A very young puppy rarely has the confidence to move more than two feet from their god like owner.

Most good dog owners and trainers actually see the benefits of letting dogs off as young as possible.

HD is a different kettle of fish altogether.

To exercise a a very young puppy with constant on lead walking will do them more harm than good. Some don't agree with the 5 minute rule but it's there for a reason. It relates only to on lead walking, that is forced and therefore putting more pressure on the dogs joints, as well as circulatory system as no allowment to rest ad lib.

The other reason off lead walking is also recommended for young puppies is that we emphasis safe environments which means soft ground again ideal on joints, same recommendation is given for arthritic dogs.

Linda Weasel, Blitz and Siskin like this.
  12. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

The Nobivac L4 datasheet states that a 3 week period is required from the second dose to attain active immunity. You would have to use your own judgement as to whether the woods are a higher risk area for leptospirosis infection.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice